1-800 vending machine bought without key

Davis Caroline

I bought a 1-800 vending machine today from an antique furniture store. There was no key however. (The furniture store states a business in the same shopping center had the machine and when that location went out of business, the furniture store bought several things from them.)

Anyway, I've never had a 1-800 machine before.

A few questions:

1) Are the top and bottom locks the same?

2) I can't tell but is there only six key types for this machine? (key # t03 thru t08) ... Or are there more?

3) I assume there is no way to guesstimate which key or keys are most likely?

4) Should I drill the locks and buy new ones or randomly buy keys until I get lucky?

5) Any other ideas?

Well, for starters I'd bet a Spiral that that machine is stolen. Most stores don't operate their own triples in my experience.

However, at this point there's not much you can do about it. I would drill it and replace it. From what I understand, 1800 keys tend to wear out, and to top it off, someone in your area has the key for that machine. That's my advice anyway.

Good luck!

A few questions:

1) Are the top and bottom locks the same?

Generally the top and bottom locks are the same on those, unless the previous owner would have changed them for some reason (doubtful).

Unless you have a place where you can buy a key and return it if it doesn't fit (and the time to try them all), it is probably going to be easiest and cheapest to drill it and get your own keys/locks.

I would drill it out and replace with new ones. The chances of getting the right key the first time is 1 in 8 keys. Alot cheaper and less time consuming. Also there is a chance you may have two different numbered locks on there.

• 2 years later...

I've never found a great way to drill locks.  My best advice to start in the ridge of the barrel lock and angle your bit slightly outward.  Only area you really have to avoid is dead center of the lock so you don't hit the stem.

If you still a pilot hole with 1/8" then use a 5/16" to finish it works with flat keyholes, but not circle. Those are best with a hole drill by a locksmith.

It's also better to use a reverse drill bit.

Archived