Gumball Machine Hack - how do you handle it?

gumby

Probably a lot of you have already seen this video:

It shows some girls messing with a Northwestern gumball machine and able to get out as many gumballs as they like for one quarter. Have you guys tried this out and does this work? I have a feeling that if it works for Northwestern it also works for Beaver, Oak, and other brands as well.

If it does work, how do you handle this?

Yeah, I was thinking that it was maybe the wrong wheel being used as well. Hope that is that case.

I remember when I was a kid, I could sometimes get a bit more candy out of a machine (small type candy like runts, for example) if I jiggled the turn knob back and forth a few times before completing my turn, but I would only be able to get a few pieces more - nothing like what these girls are doing in this video.

Northwesterns have to be "put in gear" when replacing the head. There is a "king cog" that is painted red in the vend wheel. If you do not line the king cog up with the coin mech when you put the head on, it will do this sometimes, depending on where the head/gear line up. . Notice if the machine takes the coin, it "cycles" and then free vends again. This is a symptom of a miss aligned head king cog. The other possible problem is a slipping stretched tang spring.

I really like Oak coin mechs so much better than Northwesterns, I never had an out of service Oak like I did Northwesterns. You have to be careful with Northwesterns, cant rush. Still, I only had one in 600 outtages on Northwesterns!

yep. it's broken.

a coin mech has stuff to prevent the mech from turning like that.

some venders are not too swift and dont check the machines well.

most just fill them up again. prolly take them a while to figure out whats up.

make think someone is taking the money from the machine.

Archived