Using COKE or PEPSI machines!

mapleleaf15

I am relatively new to vending. I have 40+ triple bulk candy vending machine and 30+ mint/honor boxes. I am looking to expand into full line vending. Currently I have the opportunity to put soda machines in 3 very good locations. I am thinking about going wth Coke and using their products. Any thoughts and how do I get in touch with the right person at Coke in my town.

If you've got 3 good locations you should look for deals (craigslist) on clean multipriced machines. Either Royal, Dixie or Vendo. I realize that this is a lot of money upfront, especially for someone doing bulk, buts there's a method to the madness.

If you manage to acquire a "third party" Coke machine, you will be required to buy a fairly large supply each month, from the distributor providing the machine, at about 5 cents extra per can. In addition, you can only use Coke products in the machine - the first 4 or 5 products are easy but these machines usually offer 10 selections. You can't use Pepsi and you can't use 7-up but you will end up trying to sell stuff like Mellow Yellow and Fanta. Pepsi and 7-up are the same way with their machines which is why most of us use our own machines.

If you consider that even an average soda account grosses 2 to 3 hundred per month the upfront cost of using your own machines won't seem so painful.

IMHO soda machines are the easiest transition from Bulk to Full Line - snacks are a lot trickier.

Good Luck

The person you need to ask for is the third party rep. The requirements vary from region to region but you will probably need some sort of business license (sales tax) as well as meeting some minimum purchase requirements. I currently use some third party machines from Coke, however I don't rely on them exclusively for my drink machines.

There are several reasons why I don't let them too deep into my business. Primarily I don't want to be so dependent on them that I can't replace their equipment with mine on short notice if for some reason they try to impose terms and conditions on me that I find unacceptable. IMO using third party equipment is a tool for growth when capital, or lack thereof, is a concern but I also think being overly reliant on them is also a potentially dangerous position for your business because they can force you to make decisions that are not necessarily in your best interests.

Moon Dog, I agree that third party is not optimal for several reasons. But with limited funds and a dedire to grow quickly, I think they are a way to leverage my growth efficiently and inexpensivelg. But as Mission Vending pointed out, it is not wise to lean on that avenue exclusively. Thanks for all your input.

Moon Dog, I agree that third party is not optimal for several reasons. But with limited funds and a dedire to grow quickly, I think they are a way to leverage my growth efficiently and inexpensivelg. But as Mission Vending pointed out, it is not wise to lean on that avenue exclusively. Thanks for all your input.

Just buy your own man theres good ones for $400-$700 I never was interested in third party its like you don't have your own business I can sell my business anytime.

I've actually gotten many people that say wow I can't believe u can put Pepsi in this coke machine and monsters and powerades and squirt lol and I can get cans from .16c-.25c a can its great. I can buy 10 24 packs or 5 or 50 doesn't matter

Oh but I did have to buy 2 new compressors last year $500 bucks lol

This is slightly off topic. But is there anywhere to buy 20 oz Pepsi products. Local SAMs had crap for Pepsi and Pepsi distributor acts like I have the plague and won't deal with me?

Here in New Jersey, there are several wholesale outlets that sell 20 oz bottles of nearly all suppliers. Everything from Coke and Pepsi products to oddball stuff like Inca cola. Their prices are usually better than you can get when buying directly from Coke and Pepsi because they do far higher volumes than you can possibly do yourself. If you can't find one, ask a larger local vendor about these wholesale outlets.

Here in New Jersey, there are several wholesale outlets that sell 20 oz bottles of nearly all suppliers. Everything from Coke and Pepsi products to oddball stuff like Inca cola. Their prices are usually better than you can get when buying directly from Coke and Pepsi because they do far higher volumes than you can possibly do yourself. If you can't find one, ask a larger local vendor about these wholesale outlets.

Sorry for the newbie question, but what do you mean by larger local vendor? Do you mean another soda vending machine owner?

I am in the middle of nowwhere the nearest sams is 45 miles ( only carries 16.9 oz bottles) and a vistar about 180 miles, i know i can order from them but i think i have to order large sums, in order for them to deliver it.

Also I just read your 8 page thread on the full line revenue forum. Man you really kicked tail in a short amount of time.

If you have time and are willing i would like to pm you some questions and bend your ear for a few minutes.

What part of Illinois are you from ruff? I am from Quincy, IL originally! Canteen is a national vendor that can be found in most large towns. In New Jersey CVV and Atlantic vending are local examples of large vendors with 30 plus drivers. They can get the best prices from Coke and Pepsi because of the volume they command. They also know all the large local wholesalers that some of us rely on when you need something Coke and Pepsi don't carry. Even if there isn't anyone that big in your hometown, someone is the 'big' local vendor. You will find his name on the machines at the good locations in your area. Try to make friends with him or anyone else you find at the 'local' Sam's club that looks like a vendor. Not all are friendly, but I have had good luck networking with my peers and some of them have 'big' friends!

What part of Illinois are you from ruff? I am from Quincy, IL originally! Canteen is a national vendor that can be found in most large towns. In New Jersey CVV and Atlantic vending are local examples of large vendors with 30 plus drivers. They can get the best prices from Coke and Pepsi because of the volume they command. They also know all the large local wholesalers that some of us rely on when you need something Coke and Pepsi don't carry. Even if there isn't anyone that big in your hometown, someone is the 'big' local vendor. You will find his name on the machines at the good locations in your area. Try to make friends with him or anyone else you find at the 'local' Sam's club that looks like a vendor. Not all are friendly, but I have had good luck networking with my peers and some of them have 'big' friends!

I am in Central IL. Mattoon to be exact, it's between Effingham and Champaign. I have heard of Canteen i will see if they will work with me. I have looked at alot of the machines around town and it looks like alot of them are coke machines not sure if they are serviced by coke or just the 3rd party program.

When you are wondering if a machine is 3rd party or serviced directly by Coke or Pepsi, just call the number on the machine. Give them the machine number also listed on the Coke or Pepsi placard and ask if it is a 3rd party machine or is it one that they service themselves. They will generally tell you. I have often used this method to figure out who controls machines at service stations.

Archived