Sportsblaster question

sherlock

Anyone running sportsblasters like the one below with a .50 mech?

I have a handful of these on my route. All vend 27mm bb at 25cents.

Am considering going with a .50 mech on these and wondered if anyone was doing that price-point successfully specifically on these machines or those like it.

sportsblaster10.jpg

Hey Sherlock,

IMO, due to the interactive nature of the game, I believe it would do well. Even if the amount of vends were lower, I think the total sales would be equal if not higher.

Also with the cost of the machines, it would help with ROI.

Doesn't hurt to experiment, and if you are not happy with the results change the mech.

Am considering going with a .50 mech on these and wondered if anyone was doing that price-point successfully specifically on these machines or those like it.

sportsblaster10.jpg

I have the older style sportsblaster and I changed it to 50 cents right away, it averages 40 to 50 dollars a month next to a rack and tattoo machine. The interactive nature of this machine makes 50 cents an easy sell. I also have several sportyballs at 50 cents and they do well too. with an average cost of 3.8 cents each (shipped) the high profit margin helps offset some of the other items that cost more to purchase. 

I have tried bb's in regular heads at both 25 and 50 cents and neither sold well for me, it's all about the interaction. I say go for it!

I assume it vends 1 at a time?  My Impulse machines that are similar vends 2 balls at a time and you can win 0,1 or 2 balls depending on how well you play the game.  It vends at .50 and does well.

I assume it vends 1 at a time?  My Impulse machines that are similar vends 2 balls at a time and you can win 0,1 or 2 balls depending on how well you play the game.  It vends at .50 and does well.

It vends 1 bb.

But, players have a chance to win a 2nd bb as a bonus by hitting a target with that 1st ball they pinball with.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I just picked one of these up used for 50 bucks.  Thinking about repainting, but it's in good/very good condition as is.

Sherlock, wondering how that 50 cent price point worked out for you?

Square, did you ever find stickers for this machine?  Thinking about slapping a coat of paint on mine as well.

Sherlock, wondering how that 50 cent price point worked out for you?

It was hit or miss.

I still have them at .50 but didn't see the kind of jump I was hoping for.

But, I have no complaints over the increase in price.

I still have some at .25 BTW. I only changed over some.

And those are doing fine too.

Overall the machine is a MONEY-MAKER.

What did you do as far as changing it? I just changed one to .50 and had to use a small plate to use a new generation beaver mech. The original .25 cent beaver mech is taller and a special made mech. I was able to make the standard new generation .50 cent beaver mech work with about 5 minutes of grinding, and taking the back plate of the mech off and reassembling the mech "around" the machine. It is hard to explain but I put the front plate of the mech into the machine from the outside and the back plate back onto the mech from the inside sandwiching the machine in the mech. It closed completely and works 100% with no issues. It took longer to get my hands in there to tighten the mech together than it did to grind the body of the sports blaster. Anyways Sherlock, I am curious if you did the same thing or something similar. I will get some pics today if I go eat at the place its at otherwise it will be next  week when I service.  

sportsblaster10.jpg

Where do you guys buy a new $.50 mech for this at?  I'd prefer one that I wouldn't have to grind or modify anything on.  Thanks!

I bought the plate from uturn for about 7 or 8 dollars. The opening is about 1/8 to narrow, You can use a sharp hand file or a dremel to do it. Sometimes in order to make these kinds of changes we have to get creative.

What did you do as far as changing it?

What did I do?  I avoided it! ;D

I have two versions of sportsblasters.

One version is the widely available model included in the pic above.

The other is a harder-to-find model called sportyballs that will.vend mentioned in his post earlier on this thread.

After looking at both versions I found it was a simpler swap out of the coin mechs on the sportyballs.

So, I went for the simple swap out for the sake of running a "test" at the .50 price point.

Because .50 was a hit-or-miss affair, I didn't delve any further into swapping out the sportsblasters to .50 mechs.

This is why some are at .50 and some at .25.

SIDENOTE:

For what it's worth, the sportyballs blaster comes with a removable plate on the mech that is used to attach the mech to the body of the blaster.

That plate fits perfectly on the .25 or .50 new generation beaver mech...thereby making modifications unnecessary for the changeover.

I've thought about using machines like this or the Impulse Play More Win More, with a mix of bouncy balls and round capsule toys from Brand priced at 50 cents. I think throwing in some round capsule toys with the bouncy balls might help sales a little bit. But the biggest attraction is obviously the interactive nature of the machine.

Wouldn't the cap toys bust open if the paddle hit it wrong?  Seems like that would be begging for service calls and unsatisfied customers no?  

This might be one good reason to go with Brand's rounded caps if you are going to use them in a blaster.

The Brand rounded caps come taped closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived