Moving and transporting vending machines

Billy121168

I am starting a Snack/ soda vending machine company by myself.I will be doing everything by myself. This means picking up ,moving and locating machines by myself. What kinds of dollys or tools and /or machines would anybody recommend to help and simplify if possible,this part of the business.This is truly for me my only obstacle.Nothing else bothers me about the business. Thanks in advance for all who take the time to read and comment.I need to get over this hump to help me move forward.

Do a search for machine moving or machine dollies or Dutro or others like that and you will find some threads that have discussed this at length.  The primary tools you'll need are a Dutro dolly for soda machines, a 4 wheel flat dolly with large wheels for clamshelling snacks through doorways and a small pallet jack for moving machines with legs.  The pallet jack will be 24" wide and 36" long.  You will also need truck with a deep liftgate.  Others use other methods for moving machines, but you can search the older threads for information.

I move vendors as part of my regular job and if its just you alone moving the machines into a location it mights be worth it to hire a moving company at first. They are heavy and really need two people to move around safely, especially at a costumers location. You don't want your first impressions to be a ruined door frame or a scrapped up floor on site.

I've been doing this for five years now. I've moved dozens of machines in those years. BUT, I just had an 'oh golpher' moment at the warehouse. I was pulling a drink machine off of my trailer and the trailer tipped! Fortunately, I was able to set the machine down off the pallet jack and run around and hitch the trailer back to my truck...it seems as if someone forgot to latch the hitch on the trailer!

Moral of the story, double check everything!!!

I found some movers that moves cold drink machines, after asking the price ($300), I ask if they had the correct dolly for moving such machines and he uses four guys and a appliance dolly. I offered to rent my Dutro dolly at $125 a move hoping to drum up some extra cash, of course that is with a security deposit of course. I did show them some pictures of my dolly from cell phone and they seem interested. 

I want a mini pallet jack looking to buy one have used a larger pallet jack think the mini would be perfect. I hate installing were a pallet jack doesn't work. How much is dutro dolly Cajun have seen coke move with them many times.

The new Dutro dollies run from $700 to $850 depending on the size and where you buy them.  The small pallet jacks are over $400.  Both are very hard to find used.  If you can't find any in your local market let me know as I can get them for you here.

I am starting a Snack/ soda vending machine company by myself.I will be doing everything by myself. This means picking up ,moving and locating machines by myself. What kinds of dollys or tools and /or machines would anybody recommend to help and simplify if possible,this part of the business.This is truly for me my only obstacle.Nothing else bothers me about the business. Thanks in advance for all who take the time to read and comment.I need to get over this hump to help me move forward.

How to move a vending machine.

I want a mini pallet jack looking to buy one have used a larger pallet jack think the mini would be perfect. I hate installing were a pallet jack doesn't work. How much is dutro dolly Cajun have seen coke move with them many times.

Information on Dutro's

Gallery pics of my Dutro & trailer

Check Northern Tool, they have one for $200

Machine moving is a necessary evil in this business. I have moved over 100 machines in the last 8 or so years and wince just thinking about everyone of them. I treat each machine like it personally wants to kill me, injure me or leave a mark on my body in some way. Some times the mental anguish of just thinking about an upcoming move is worse than the move itself, lol. Never, ever take a machine move lightly no matter how simple or slight it may seem to be. Machines have no feeling and could care less about you or your friends helping out.

I broke my big toe, had my hand stuck between a machine and a doorway, black eye, strained every muscle, sweated profusely, cussed and prayed all on one machine move. I've had machines slip off my pallet jack, my ramp, my dolly, and a lift gate. I've gouged doors, doorways, tile, walls, body parts, trailer ramps and pavement. Just when I think I've got it, all hell breaks loose.

Some of the most difficult moves end up being the easiest and the easiest end up nearly killing me. One move my wife helped out by just standing there crying. I've injured myself, my dad, my brother, a friend and someone that just wanted to help out.

I have machines on location with big dents and scratches that remind me every week what it took to get it there.

Most of my mishaps could have been avoided by getting more help, using better equipment and above all,  slowing down and assessing the situation a little more.

If you can, avoid any unnecessary moves. Sometimes a location will want the machine moved from one room to another like its a chair or a table. I have occasionally been able to avert this by explaining the weight and difficulty associated with their request, while other times there was no getting around it only to have to move it back to the original location a month later.

Archived