Nutz

cashman

Buying a few machines from a route and the girl running it has been vending nuts ( BBQ. Plain, ) I think it is really going to get costly and eat up any profits but maybe I'm missing something.your thoughts please .

Don't do it, low margins high spoilage and messes up and rusts out the equipment

There was a vendor on here that did spicy nuts in bars

Long story short, the nuts rusted out the wheel, a piece of metal fell of and cut someone

salted nuts in my lunch room accounts do very well (all uturn machines *plastic parts*) I would never run nutz through the metal beavers.

I bought a couple locations with sinles in bars and had to throughout everything. I switched to a tosted nuts (candy coated) and it's selling....but more then likely will start sticking once the hot weather gets here..

I do peanuts, dry-roasted only - and only in the high volume locations.  In order for me to do nuts two things need to be true:

1) they empty a head on a monthly basis minimum.  

2) I've tried M&I, HT and Skittles with poor results.  

I vend what sells and I kinda think the whole "nuts ruin your coin mechs" angle is overplayed.  As long as you're doing $25+/month and nuts represent a significant sales margin over everything else a coin mech costs 7 bucks.  Even if you're burning through one a year, that's only putting a 2% dent in your net.  You just have to make sure you're doing nuts as a last resort.  

salted nuts in my lunch room accounts do very well (all uturn machines *plastic parts*) I would never run nutz through the metal beavers.

I bought a couple locations with sinles in bars and had to throughout everything. I switched to a tosted nuts (candy coated) and it's selling....but more then likely will start sticking once the hot weather gets here..

Beaver would be fine as it's cast aluminum but any candy wheel with the steel candy wheel would be the problem, like northwestern and oak.

We have vended nuts for years and have never had a problem with them.  We only use oak vista or NW model 60's.( with NW glass globe)

The proper way to vend nuts in a location is always have extra globes.

When we go to the location we bring the globe filled with the product, take back the globe that has been used bring it

to the shop and wash the globe and all the parts re assemble the globe after it is dried, and use it at the

next location.

Never use a 3 way,  super 60 or any machine that can't be changed out each service cycle.

by doing this you will never have problems with nuts again.

The next thing to remember is never vend nuts at a location that won't warrant them.  We only sell them

at tire shops, garages etc.

When we go to the location we bring the globe filled with the product, take back the globe that has been used bring it to the shop and wash the globe and all the parts re assemble the globe after it is dried, and use it at the

next location.

Do you re-use the product left in the globe you pulled?

There is barely any left at any location we have them at,  that is why we only sell them at locations that warrant them. 

What is your definition of "barely any left"?

And what do you do with with it when you pull the globe?

When I say barely left they maybe around 2 or 3 vends left in the machine.  We don't use those. 

They have a shelf life of around 4 months so if you wanted to reuse  them you can.   Put the fresh peanuts in the globe first then add anything left over and then more of the fresh peanuts.

we will only put these were they sell out at.   There are a few locations that empty out every 2 weeks.  Nuts are not worth selling at a location if after 2 months the globe is half full.  They have to turn over with each service cycle.

Almost every bulk operator in the 1950's and early 60's would have extra globes for all their products and would exchange globes at each location no matter what they vended.

If anyone is interested in bulk vending in the 50"s & 60's go to google books and search for billboard magazines.  There is a bulk vending section in each issue,  you will see what vending was like then.

When I say barely left they maybe around 2 or 3 vends left in the machine.  We don't use those. 

Interesting. Thanks.

How many locations do you run with peanuts in them?

Are these all pretty-much bar locations?

I've never had luck with peanuts ANYWHERE outside of bar locations.

But, those bar locations where I keep them in - they sell VERY well.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't laughed at.....I'm wondering why no one vends nuts ( in locations where they would sell good of course) in 2 inch caps ? Yes, you do have the extra expense of the cap, but save the hassle of making a mess out of the equipment.  Wouldn't a 2 inch cap full of cashews or pistachios sell for .75 or 1.00 and be worth the effort?

• 2 months later...

I gave up on nuts. I tried just about every kind, but they all go stale.  The only way to vend nuts are in small packages in snack machines, IMO.  It's just not worth the effort and the spoilage in bulk.  Also the cost of goods on nuts has become too high. 

Archived