Locating with two people at once

Anyfice

My boyfriend and I recently decided to try our hand at bulk vending. We've been reading everything we can about it for the last two weeks; now we are in the process of planning our first steps.

We are trying to decide on our locating strategy. There will be two of us working on this business together; do you think it would be okay for both of us to go locating together? Do you think that would look unprofessional in someway or maybe put off store owners? Does anyone have experience with locating with two people?

Thanks for the advice!

I really think it's better to be alone when locating.  Running routes with a partner is helpful, so if you enjoy working with your boyfriend, then routes would work.  If you've ever heard of when trying to get a job, come alone because if you've got someone else there it appears as though you're not competent.  If you apply it to vending, which is a similar scenario, then it'd mean that locating alone is a better idea.  Especially so because you can talk one on one...two on one can be overpowering and probably wouldn't end up as well.

Yep, it works GREAT; especially if both of you are equally adept at it.  My wife and I locate together.  The key is, you can't talk as fast as if you're locating by yourself, otherwise the decision maker can feel a little "ganged up on" and that will shut them down.  

We've found the best mix for us is for my wife to take the point.  People just react to her differently than my ugly mug.  I carry our marketing material, samples, etc.  At this point, we almost intuitively know when it's time for me to chime in or stay quiet.  

You may find that something completely different works for you. 

Locating separately would save a ton of time.

While you are pitching one location, your boyfriend can be pitching your machines to the neighboring business.

So, individual locating would make the most of your time.

HOWEVER, more direct to your question, I don't know that locating together would be much of a negative.

If working as a team with only one of you doing the primary pitch, an owner shouldn't feel ganged up on.

And if you guys are just yourselves while locating (as I recommend to everybody), there's no reason why the conversation can't be casual and friendly.

My only recommendation: Don't introduce each other as "my boyfriend" or "my girlfriend".

While conducting business you are not each others mates...your are each others "business partners".

Archived