Healthy vending

MikeM

I have found a potential customer who just had a snack and drink machine removed because they wanted all healthy snacks and drinks. They want zero calorie Gatoraid, green tea, smoothy drinks, etc.  I have a Genesis snack & drink machine that I would like to relocate.  The machine has 10 slots for chips, cookies, etc. and 8 more narrow slots that holds candy bars, cheese and peanut butter crackers, etc.(narrow slots). I was told Cosco has healthy snacks but I know they don't have a vending section like Sams but I haven't looked at Cosco.

Can I find health snacks to fit in this machine or do I need to buy a machine just for healthy snacks and drinks?

Thanks in advance.

Mike M.

I have found a potential customer who just had a snack and drink machine removed because they wanted all healthy snacks and drinks. They want zero calorie Gatoraid, green tea, smoothy drinks, etc.  I have a Genesis snack & drink machine that I would like to relocate.  The machine has 10 slots for chips, cookies, etc. and 8 more narrow slots that holds candy bars, cheese and peanut butter crackers, etc.(narrow slots). I was told Cosco has healthy snacks but I know they don't have a vending section like Sams but I haven't looked at Cosco.

Can I find health snacks to fit in this machine or do I need to buy a machine just for healthy snacks and drinks?

Thanks in advance.

Mike M.

Unless the location has 200+ employees and they are clamoring for it and its not management shoving it down their throats I wouldn't do it.

I'm gonna tell you now, healthy doesn't sell very well. I tried it many times, in various locations. I would say give it a shot, as I didn't wanna listen to anybody at first, and found out the hard way lol. If you do healthy, here is what I was able to sell..

1. Baked Cheetos, Lays, BBQ

2. Kars Sweet & Salt Mix

3. Gardettos

4. Bottled Water

5. Planter Nuts

6. Almonds

7. Pretzels

8. Wheat Thins

9. Snyders Pretzel Nibblers

10. Austin Crackers

What ideas did you have for "Healthy Vending". There is really not much out there around me, that I would consider healthy. The above items are about as healthy as I will sell, as everything else gets stale. It's a Paradox as clients ask for it, then it doesn't sell..

I'm gonna tell you now, healthy doesn't sell very well. I tried it many times, in various locations. I would say give it a shot, as I didn't wanna listen to anybody at first, and found out the hard way lol. If you do healthy, here is what I was able to sell..

1. Baked Cheetos, Lays, BBQ

2. Kars Sweet & Salt Mix

3. Gardettos

4. Bottled Water

5. Planter Nuts

6. Almonds

7. Pretzels

8. Wheat Thins

9. Snyders Pretzel Nibblers

10. Austin Crackers

What ideas did you have for "Healthy Vending". There is really not much out there around me, that I would consider healthy. The above items are about as healthy as I will sell, as everything else gets stale. It's a Paradox as clients ask for it, then it doesn't sell..

It's important to note that Austin crackers aren't really a healthy alternative of any kind.  It's kind of a misconception but I think some healthy programs allow those crackers to be considered "healthy" because they contain peanut butter which is "sort of, kind of good for you."

That aside, most of what you posted on here as healthy alternatives are regular things that I put into my machines (minus the baked chips, they simply don't sell).  The truth is that I try to market my existing "healthy" products as a "healthy alternative" even though they are regular items.  Trail mix don't sell GREAT but they sell.  Pretzels sell very well.  Nuts sell decently.  Bottled water sells well.

When I first started out, water was probably my #2 seller in terms of bottle sales.  Currently, it's probably 5th or 6th but that's because I have one good account that sells a lot of bottled water.

Thanks in advance.

Mike M.

There's a good reason why the previous vendor preferred to lose this account rather than do all healthy vending - it's a losing proposition.  Unless the customer were willing to subsidize this account by guaranteeing sales (buying all your stales) I wouldn't touch this account with a ten foot pole and neither should you.

I have found a potential customer who just had a snack and drink machine removed because they wanted all healthy snacks and drinks. They want zero calorie Gatoraid, green tea, smoothy drinks, etc. I have a Genesis snack & drink machine that I would like to relocate. The machine has 10 slots for chips, cookies, etc. and 8 more narrow slots that holds candy bars, cheese and peanut butter crackers, etc.(narrow slots). I was told Cosco has healthy snacks but I know they don't have a vending section like Sams but I haven't looked at Cosco.

Thanks in advance.

Mike M.

Be very glad you asked here first. The Genesis combo can't even Vend some of those items you mentioned. The candy row doesn't even vend Oreos, because the spirals are too small, just unreal of a failure (combo machine). Try using good equipment as listed on this forum.

I agree, I've had some healthy items sell slowly for 2 weeks, then everything continued selling- except those healthy suggestions. I don't add any odd items like that anymore.

My wife and I are sampling some "healthy" snacks from Costco. The one were are throwing away, er, I mean tasting this morning is Nature's Bakery Fig Bar variety box. Packaging is typical healthy look with earthy colors. Three flavors to gag you, er, I mean to try. Blueberry, Lemon and Strawberry. On the front of each package you can clearly read: Cholesterol Free, Dairy Free, Og Trans Fat, Kosher, Non GMO. Stone ground whole wheat, 100% natural. Energy for life's great journeys . Shelf life is long - 12/11/14. I like them (but I am dieting) and would try them if I had to have a little something to get to my next meal. My wife started gagging (not kidding) on the first bite. She said the outer layer/crust was horrific and the smell made her want to gag. She would not eat another one. The lemon is a little harsh, the blueberry not to berry good, but the strawberry is pretty good. I'm going to try these in a hotel today.

My wife and I are sampling some "healthy" snacks from Costco. The one were are throwing away, er, I mean tasting this morning is Nature's Bakery Fig Bar variety box. Packaging is typical healthy look with earthy colors. Three flavors to gag you, er, I mean to try. Blueberry, Lemon and Strawberry. On the front of each package you can clearly read: Cholesterol Free, Dairy Free, Og Trans Fat, Kosher, Non GMO. Stone ground whole wheat, 100% natural. Energy for life's great journeys . Shelf life is long - 12/11/14. I like them (but I am dieting) and would try them if I had to have a little something to get to my next meal. My wife started gagging (not kidding) on the first bite. She said the outer layer/crust was horrific and the smell made her want to gag. She would not eat another one. The lemon is a little harsh, the blueberry not to berry good, but the strawberry is pretty good. I'm going to try these in a hotel today.

Sounds like another healthy product my dog won't eat.  ;D

I'll chime in here...  (not that I know a lot) I do mostly "healthy vending" (90/10 split) and I'll tell you it takes the right account.   Reason being, you're prices are going to be higher than traditional vending and shelf-life is going to be less.  I also feel geography plays a big part, I'm located in Colorado.  If you find the right products, they taste good.  Do they taste like Snickers or Doritos, no but they do taste good.  Costco does have a lot of options, probably not enough to fill up the machine depending on the configuration.

I'm not familiar with the Genesis machine.  All of my machines are AMS combo's with one Bevmax 2.  To get the account, you could tell them you will try the healthy products and if they don't sell, you reserve the right to switch the products out in the future.

I'll chime in here...  (not that I know a lot) I do mostly "healthy vending" (90/10 split) and I'll tell you it takes the right account.   Reason being, you're prices are going to be higher than traditional vending and shelf-life is going to be less.  I also feel geography plays a big part, I'm located in Colorado.  If you find the right products, they taste good.  Do they taste like Snickers or Doritos, no but they do taste good.  Costco does have a lot of options, probably not enough to fill up the machine depending on the configuration.

I'm not familiar with the Genesis machine.  All of my machines are AMS combo's with one Bevmax 2.  To get the account, you could tell them you will try the healthy products and if they don't sell, you reserve the right to switch the products out in the future.

What kind of products are you selling that are "Healthy"? Can you share with us? 

What kind of products are you selling that are "Healthy"? Can you share with us? 

Here's a list, in no particular order:

String Cheese (this is my #1 seller across all my healthy machines but you need a refrigerated machine)

Back To Nature products (choc. chunk cookies, Honey Grahams, Cheddar crackers)

Stacy's Pita Chips (naked, parm garlic, cinn sugar)

Pop Chips (various flavors)

Popcorn Indiana kettlecorn

Pirates Booty

Popcorners (SS&V, Sour Cream Onion, BBQ, Natural)

Kettle Chips/Boulder Canyon chips

Hansens all-natural sodas

Sparkling Ice

Coconut water

Protein bars

Kashi Bars

Clif Bars

Z bars (schools)

Kind Bars

Wonderful brand almonds

VItamin Water

Unreal (peanut butter cups)

Lipton Green Tea

Tazo Green Tea

Starbucks Refreshers

Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice

Snyders Pretzels

Terra Chips

Izze

San Pellegrino

Apple & Eve quenchers

This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Kevin

Here's a list, in no particular order:

String Cheese (this is my #1 seller across all my healthy machines but you need a refrigerated machine)

Back To Nature products (choc. chunk cookies, Honey Grahams, Cheddar crackers)

Stacy's Pita Chips (naked, parm garlic, cinn sugar)

Pop Chips (various flavors)

Popcorn Indiana kettlecorn

Pirates Booty

Popcorners (SS&V, Sour Cream Onion, BBQ, Natural)

Kettle Chips/Boulder Canyon chips

Hansens all-natural sodas

Sparkling Ice

Coconut water

Protein bars

Kashi Bars

Clif Bars

Z bars (schools)

Kind Bars

Wonderful brand almonds

VItamin Water

Unreal (peanut butter cups)

Lipton Green Tea

Tazo Green Tea

Starbucks Refreshers

Seeds of Change Quinoa & Brown Rice

Snyders Pretzels

Terra Chips

Izze

San Pellegrino

Apple & Eve quenchers

This is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Kevin

Great list! Where do you source products like these? I can't get ahold of 80% of what's on your list. Unless I'm not aware of other distributors..

Great list! Where do you source products like these? I can't get ahold of 80% of what's on your list. Unless I'm not aware of other distributors..

Good question!  It's a combination of:

Sam's

Costco

Vistar (PopChips)

Kehe (natural food distributor)

UNFI (natural food distributor)

Also, some stuff I can get from Amazon.  I signed up for a Prime membership and that includes free 2-day shipping.  

Kehe & UNFI can be very frustrating at times because it seems like they have a lot of out-of-stocks.  They always seem to blame it on the mfg.....

Sam's, Costco, Vistar, and UNFI are all local so I can pick-up directly from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Good question!  It's a combination of:

Sam's

Costco

Vistar (PopChips)

Kehe (natural food distributor)

UNFI (natural food distributor)

Also, some stuff I can get from Amazon.  I signed up for a Prime membership and that includes free 2-day shipping.  

Kehe & UNFI can be very frustrating at times because it seems like they have a lot of out-of-stocks.  They always seem to blame it on the mfg.....

Sam's, Costco, Vistar, and UNFI are all local so I can pick-up directly from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cool. Yes. Amazon is good. They have Kettle Chips which are the best tasting, "natural" chips I've ever had! 

Archived