Location asked for 4 more games - we delivered - they asked us to remove existing games

iwantansi

Have a location where we currently have 2 pinballs, 2 arcades, 1 change machine. Owner has 2 arcades of their own.

Owner asked us last week if we could get 4 more pinball machines installed within a week. Great, we get machines, drop them off and set them up. The owner recently got some more room in their store and overestimated the size of the new room and also has brought in more of their own arcades. We are now being asked to remove 2 of the 6 pinballs and 1 of the 2 arcades. The owner now has 5 total arcades. 

Our contract only specifies maintenance and if machines to be removed permanently we get a 30 day notice.

Bottom line is they asked for 4 more games and we only got to install one additional game overall. I feel that we really bent over backwards to get additional games for this location and now we have these extra games with no location to put them. 

I thought of talking to the owner, but that could end with all of our games being booted. I thought if I owned a location with an operator, i would definitely want to know of any issues like this.

I thought I could enforce the 30 day clause in the contract, again could end up bad.

Could you guys give me an idea of what would you guys do? Am I wrong to be upset at this?

Action Vending is correct.  Politely explain to the owner that you've spent thousands of dollars at their request, but before you do look at the layout of the location.  Can the layout be changed so more games will fit?  Is there a different area where a couple more games would fit?  If the games are in a separate room, one or two games outside of that doorway will boost revenue of all the games because it will draw more attention to the game room.  If any of that is possible, approach them with the solution to your problem not just with the problem.

Also sounds like this owner wants to be in the arcade business since they brought in more machines of their own.  They may eventually ask you to leave entirely.   now that you have extra games use that as an incentive to find new locations.

I agree with several above. They are adding more of their own, and eliminating you. Every situation is unique, so unless your making a lot of money here, I'd  move on.

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.

The owner recently acquired an additional room and wants to make that the "arcade room". We previously had all the games in the main room and now are just off of the main room. We've picked up the games they didnt want there and moved all the other games in to the arcade room.

The owner bought some pretty crappy games(Aerosmith shooter game). Weve got 4 pins and 1 arcade there now and the change machine.  

One of the employees there has worked at a movie theater and is trying to convince the owner that bringing in their own games is a bad idea that is going to cost them more than its worth. We serviced a candy crane for them recently and charged them $90 :) (Lost key, broken bands and it still doesnt work)

• 1 month later...

IMO you are being taken advantage of. You are operation the most expensive, high maintenance, low return equipment (pinballs) in there and providing a change machine that will never earn a profit and the location owner is operating the cheaper, less maintenance and more profitable equipment. Plus he probably ask you all the time to look at his stuff for free or very cheap service.

The advantage on your side is almost no other operators run pinballs so you have little risk of competition and the machines are too costly and high service for the location to want to buy their own. And if you go so does your service and your changer.

Most larger operators have a code they go by and it one location, one operator. Like others have said, you might want to start looking for other locations or if you think this location is worth fight for you might have to get tough and let them know that you need x amount of money per week to cover you cost to continue to stay and that any other machines in the location is costing you money.

He would not be happy if you started selling burgers (or whatever) when you are there just like you are not happy with him as your competition. You can explain it to him that he would be best served by you doing all the equipment as it will be better and maintained properly and there are no cost to him like parts, permits, equipment so he can make more with you doing what you do and he can spend his time and effort doing what he does. Run the store, order food, cook, clean.

plus with good clean working equipment his customers will be happy and less complaints of broken out of order machines.

you might offer to buy his machine from him or help him sell them

or just move on and let him have what he thinks he wants. operation his own equipment. (all of it)

and if your gone, his broken junk will ruin his business.

you sound like a really nice person that has a strong sense of duty and loyalty.  The person you are dealing with exploited that, and threatened your "core values" of integrity and loyalty.  Its only natural to feel frustrated!!   I am going to make a post titled "when to walk away" the type of people to do business with and not to do business with.

Archived