ADA (American Disability Act) Lost Locations : (

bulkjake

I have lost 5 high revenue bulk toy locations (over $700 in gross monthly revenue lost) due to ADA lawyers coming into liquor store or other stores and slapping the owner of the store with a huge list of things that need to be fixed as well as huge fines - (handicap walkways, counter tops too high, isle ways not wide enough...) and last but not least, the ADA is writing them up for my machines. They are claiming the Oak / A&A 1" machines are illegal because they are difficult to turn or rotate the handle for a handicap person or child. This is a completely bogus claim as my equipment is not mandatory to use like a restroom or drinking fountain. Has anyone run into this? Specifically in California? I have tried to fight every instance but, in most cases the owners just want the equipment gone at that point. 

>:D

Its a scam thats going up and down the state. There has been 14,000 lawsuits filed in the state in the last few years. California has additional requirements above and byond the national ADA. Mainly the law allows for compensation from private business so lawyers sue and then settle for cash from the business to make it go away. Even cities are getting sued and paying these guys off which just encourages it.

There is almost no way to comply with ADA regs. completely. How to you design a space that a deaf, blind, paralyzed, amputee, ms afflicted, brain damaged, etc person can use with equal access. There have been national guidelines established but, again, this is California.

http://www.adaabuse.com/

I just had a thought. In California gas stations are compliant by having notices that any handicapped person may have assistance from staff fueling their vehicle. What if you put similar notices on your racks. Something like ' To comply with ADA regulations, any handicapped person(s) may have assistance from staff who will assist with using this machine'. You'd have to get it printed including braille.

Owners wont mind as it shows they are attempting to comply. In fact they may want to use similar notices on soda fountains, buffets etc.

Nothing to do with the ADA, Everything to do with Lawyers. This is a real issue in California. Its not just vending or the ADA but vendors have been easy targets for scam law firms to hit because the victims pay up quickly. Yep probably illegal but also expensive to fight, thus the payoffs and the profits.

Archived