Humidity with 1" gumballs

Renman

Hey all,

I've started my 9 year old daughter with her own machines and she landed her 3rd location, which is a laundromat. Her 1st pull was $48 with 1" gumballs. Good news right? But they are beginning to be sticky with the July humidity. We added a 2nd head with chicklette gum, but need advice. We have put them away from the dryers but there is only so much room. Would love your help!

Thanks,

Renman

Hey all,

I've started my 9 year old daughter with her own machines and she landed her 3rd location, which is a laundromat. Her 1st pull was $48 with 1" gumballs. Good news right? But they are beginning to be sticky with the July humidity. We added a 2nd head with chicklette gum, but need advice. We have put them away from the dryers but there is only so much room. Would love your help!

Thanks,

Renman

Most laundry places have poor air I guess because of the cost with all the dryers creating heat. I had never had luck with gum lasting in a laundry. Maybe you can just go with toys.

Most laundry places have poor air I guess because of the cost with all the dryers creating heat. I had never had luck with gum lasting in a laundry. Maybe you can just go with toys.

Yes. I agree.

And if you decide to try toys, try 27mm bounce balls.

You wouldn't have to change your machine if it's set to vend 850ct gumballs.

AND it would give you a product cost that's not much higher than the gumballs.

This is important in order to keep your .25 price point...assuming you were at .25 for gb.

If you go with a more expensive toy, you may need to switch to .50 coin mechs and that just involves a whole other cost that you can avoid by going with bounce balls.

If you can sell $48 worth of gumballs each cycle, don't change a thing on that head. Just leave a few more gumballs than you expect to sell, when you come back to service next cycle, if the remaining gumballs look unappetizing throw them out and put fresh gumballs in. Try different things in the other head to find what works.

If you can sell $48 worth of gumballs each cycle, don't change a thing on that head. Just leave a few more gumballs than you expect to sell, when you come back to service next cycle, if the remaining gumballs look unappetizing throw them out and put fresh gumballs in. Try different things in the other head to find what works.

That's exactly what I do.

Get some of these silica packs (see link below) and tape (by the package ends only) to the inside bottom of your lid. Success will depend upon the type of machine, and how much air it lets into the product area. For example, Oak 300's seal pretty good, but Oak Vista's will let a lot more humidity (or in our case, blowing dust from our desert) into the product areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Packs-1GrCotton-20pk-Silica-Desiccants-Packets/dp/B004FC5VT4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405037098&sr=8-4&keywords=silicon+dry+packs

I've fought this for 5 years now in 2 locations.  I just fill the machines half way during the summer and check a little more frequently. Sometimes it gets so bad you have to take the machines apart and run water over everything to get rid of the sugar that has melted. Just part of being a bulk vendor.

Some laundry mats that don't have air condition have swap coolers in them, they just circle the air through the laundry and out  the roof.  They are

terrible in the summer.  The only gum you could probably use if they have a swap cooler is the chicle tabs gum, you probably could also use runts, they are a hard candy that holds up very good with the heat.    If the store as air condition then the regular gum is no problem.

The laundries that I have had super balls I ended up taking the balls out because they got stuck in their drain holes.  Check to see what type of

cooling system they have, depending on the type of machine you have it would be good to use a 50 toy in one of machines.

Thanks everyone! I'm using Oak 450's in there currently. I just got 2 Oak Vista's that I could change to if it matters. They are all .25 mech's. The operators didn't like the idea of toys yet, but I think I can work on it as a plan for a rack. I'll definitely use the silica packs and stock lower amounts of gumballs. They really love the 1". Any other advice?

Thanks for the advice. I take it this is a decent draw? It's far better than her other 2 combined.

Get some of these silica packs (see link below) and tape (by the package ends only) to the inside bottom of your lid. Success will depend upon the type of machine, and how much air it lets into the product area. For example, Oak 300's seal pretty good, but Oak Vista's will let a lot more humidity (or in our case, blowing dust from our desert) into the product areas.

http://www.amazon.com/Packs-1GrCotton-20pk-Silica-Desiccants-Packets/dp/B004FC5VT4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405037098&sr=8-4&keywords=silicon+dry+packs

There is no way I would put poison in a gum head. I would just rather not sell gum.

Thanks! Ordered them just now. I'll probably try 2-4 of them for the next cycle.

There is no way I would put poison in a gum head. I would just rather not sell gum.

Since you appear to not understand the phrases;

- "Meets FDA specifications for dry food packaging" and

- "Dry-Packs packets contain the absorbent desiccant called Silica Gel, which is non-toxic and an inert product"

then I agree - you should not be selling gum, or any other edible for that matter.

Thanks for the advice. I take it this is a decent draw? It's far better than her other 2 combined.

yy

It's a fantastic draw for the lowest cost item you'll ever sell, giving you the best margin, even with a little spoilage.

By the way, security is your biggest concern at any laundromat. Find something to cable your machine to ASAP even if it's a chair.

I realize you're new and don't have a bunch of equipment laying around, but if you're in this long enough you probably will. Laundromat locations are places where you don't use you newest, prettiest, best equipment. Your equipment will be abused in those locations more than anywhere else so save your good stuff for a nice restaurant.

yy

It's a fantastic draw for the lowest cost item you'll ever sell, giving you the best margin, even with a little spoilage.

By the way, security is your biggest concern at any laundromat. Find something to cable your machine to ASAP even if it's a chair.

I realize you're new and don't have a bunch of equipment laying around, but if you're in this long enough you probably will. Laundromat locations are places where you don't use you newest, prettiest, best equipment. Your equipment will be abused in those locations more than anywhere else so save your good stuff for a nice restaurant.

Place a few machines and chain them all together

- "Dry-Packs packets contain the absorbent desiccant called Silica Gel, which is non-toxic and an inert product"

then I agree - you should not be selling gum, or any other edible for that matter.

Whether nontoxic or not, the first time one falls, gets caught in a wheel and a kid eats it, then the mother sees this, calling poison control, the owner and you have a lawsuit, and right our wrong, you lose the location, and if you're not insured, everything you have just to fight it!

Imo, it's not worth the risk.

like musser and others suggested, I would fill part way, service more often. No POSSIBLE LAWSUIT, and still keep a screening location.

For food packaging sure they are safe. But they are not intended to be used in a machine with moving parts. If it fell from the lid in to the machine the wheel can break it open. Then a child could swollow them and get sick. Choke or have a digestive issue. It's not smart to use products for a purpose that they are not intended it leaves you open to liability issues. And for what a handful of quarters. Just not worth it.

Guys lets just all stop vending because a screw could come loose and a child eats it or they could trip over the stand or the stand could fall

It's called risk, and any business has it

But you can minimize the risk from a potential silica gel pack falling by making sure its tightly in place and putting warnings up

You could also pin it in place with a lid

Guys lets just all stop vending because a screw could come loose and a child eats it or they could trip over the stand or the stand could fall

It's called risk, and any business has it

But you can minimize the risk from a potential silica gel pack falling by making sure its tightly in place and putting warnings up

You could also pin it in place with a lid

Those could happen sure but in those situations the operator did not show negligence and as long as the operator was using them as designed liability could be shifted to the MFG. Any one who wants to use a the drying products be my guest. It's just not for us. In this location I would just do toys.

Those could happen sure but in those situations the operator did not show negligence and as long as the operator was using them as designed liability could be shifted to the MFG. Any one who wants to use a the drying products be my guest. It's just not for us. In this location I would just do toys.

well, put gumballs in capsules then.

they wont stick together or leak over each other either.

course it would be a lot of work thou.

I once used cheap jelly beans to save a few bucks.

location called and said, none are coming out.

went there, machine was full, test vend and sure enoght, nothing came out.

got box, opened top, and attempted to pour them out to look at the mech.

tipped bin, nothing moved, turned over, still nothing,

patted bin bottom, huge jellybean block slid out into box.

gave said block to location for them to gnaw on. beats tossing them out.

never used cheap candy again.

you get what you pay for.

Archived