Hey all, I've been a lurker reading these forums for a little while, and I wanted to access some of the downloads sections so this post is part due to wanting to access those. But I just wanted to say hi, and see if you guys have any starting tips, or pitfalls that a beginner can avoid getting into the bulk vending business.

My background: I'm currently working as an airline pilot, and that gives me a lot of travel freedom and some good chunks of time off in certain spots of the month. So I've decided to start a vending business on the side. I've recently bought 38 vendesign vending machines in bulk in the Phoenix area (none of which are placed because they had to be transported from Tucson). I got a really great deal on the package at a whopping $26.31 per machine cost to buy them all. I'm going to store them for a while at my dad's place so i'm not in any time rush to place them, but I'm very excited and motivated to start. I'm planning to form an LLC to work the business under, and I'm signed up with a charity who just sent 10 stickers and the legal forms for using their name is placing the machines. I plan on making my first trips out to local businesses to locate these machines next week by visiting locations with a flyer of the vending machine and information on the charity that we're supporting through our labels. I've cleaned 5 of the machines so far and they are ready to place and get me going. I'm doing this entire process with my lovely wife as well, who is supporting me and wanting to help locate as well.

I'm really excited, and I'm prepared for a lot of rejection as I go out and place these machines especially for the first time, but I'm very motivated and determined to succeed so I'm not worried. Any tips on beginning things  that startups have run into along the way would be greatly appreciated.Such as on cleaning the machines, servicing, business related tips, locating tips or any thing that hopefully I've not considered. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this too, I'm hoping to be a successful vendor just like many of people here are. 

If you need help locating, let me know.

I would read the locating help section and machine section thoroughly.

read the scripts as well, but it sound like your headed in the right direction

Okay here are a few things to think about.

A lot of times when you buy used Vendesigns the previous owner got rid of the vend portion adjuster for some reason. That means the wheels are running wide open and giving way too much product, look for that. Portion control is very important in determining your profitability.

Products: because you have Vendesigns your product line must be at least 4 products, (which is way too much for most charity locations), I recommend 6 products so you can rotate in something different each cycle. You can't sell gumballs in Vendesigns so your gum product choices are chiclets and Little Rockets (5800. Count), neither of which sell as well as assorted gumballs. You need at least 3 other tough candies (runts, skittles, etc...). If you decide to sell Peanut M&Ms make sure the location is air conditioned and out of sunlight. Oh, and don't give more than 6 of them per vend.

Locating is the heart and soul of any bulk vending business so if you find you have a knack for it you're going to be fine. But even if you don't have a knack for it, if you're willing to persevere and keep pitching locations you'll be fine too, because it's just a numbers game. Anytime you do something a thousand times you get good at it, it doesn't matter what "it" is.

Bulk vendors usually end up buying and selling a lot of machines (because they run across good deals like you or buy someone out and don't want to use the equipment). If I were you I'd get started right now. Around here I've bought Vendesigns for $25 or so and sold them on Craigslist for $50-$75.

I would attack your 38 machines from both ends and place what I could and double or triple my money by selling machines when I could, using the money to buy Oak Vista 300s. Try to source stands locally on Craigslist.

That's what I would do.

Hey Rodney, I've seen some good reviews about your services, could you point me to a link which describes your service? I'm definetly motivated, but I know the faster I locate machines the faster I make money.

That seems like a great idea bravo, one which I thought about as well - re selling the machines as singles and then buying more in bulk when the time comes. Thanks for the advice. I know that the vend portioner is still attached to my machines which is a good thing to know that the last owners didn't get rid of them.

You can send me your email address and I can send over our contact for you to look at.

I didn't start pro out on here to gain business, it just seems there's a real need on here right now. So I decided to help.

Pm me

Archived