My almost pink first machine

MatthewMMorrow

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for a little while now and finally decided to start selling. I bought an LYPC triple off Craigslist yesterday and upon the advice of the forum I ran it through the dishwasher. It came out pink in most spots! Luckily it looks like something is on the machine because with some elbow grease I can get it red again. Has anyone had this happen to them or know what the cause is? It looks like only the outside parts turned pink, where the lid overlaps is still nice and red. I had heated dry off but it still feels like it dried it (sure, when my kids turn it off it doesn't dry the dishes). I added some jet dry and restarted the dishwasher hoping that will fix it. It would be more difficult getting the pink off than it would have if I hand washed it!

Anyway, after I solve this I'm going to start locating. Do most of you bring a machine with you while you are locating and place it right away? Do you typically buy a machine for a particular location or run around trying to place machines you already have? Is it different if you are starting vs established?

When I begin locating after getting my first shipment of machines I will bring at least 1 with me ready to be placed. I don't want them to have any time to think about it and give me a "no" after the initial "yes".

It would also provide the location owner a chance to see the machine in all its shiny shiny glory

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for a little while now and finally decided to start selling. I bought an LYPC triple off Craigslist yesterday and upon the advice of the forum I ran it through the dishwasher. It came out pink in most spots! Luckily it looks like something is on the machine because with some elbow grease I can get it red again. Has anyone had this happen to them or know what the cause is? It looks like only the outside parts turned pink, where the lid overlaps is still nice and red. I had heated dry off but it still feels like it dried it (sure, when my kids turn it off it doesn't dry the dishes). I added some jet dry and restarted the dishwasher hoping that will fix it. It would be more difficult getting the pink off than it would have if I hand washed it!

Anyway, after I solve this I'm going to start locating. Do most of you bring a machine with you while you are locating and place it right away? Do you typically buy a machine for a particular location or run around trying to place machines you already have? Is it different if you are starting vs established?

Out could be all kinds of things that turn it pink. Depending on the heat of the water and so on, our could need to be buffed out.

I don't run the body through the dishwasher, just other parts and nothing that can rust.

Hope that helps.

It makes the machine look faded in stops, no way I can place like that. I'm going to try Dawn Power Dissolver or Bar Keepers Best Friend. Anyone have any problems with those? I think it's some sort of oil from people touching it or something since where the lid was is perfectly red. The dawn power dissolver should work if I can find any, it will clean a cooked on oily pan like nothing.

I actually got it looking pretty good again. It doesn't seem as glossy as before but it no longer looks really faded and splotchy.

Turns out it must be hard water or something in the dishwasher that dried on with the heated dry. Here's what I tried that didn't work: sponge, magic eraser, scraper, non-scratch scour pad, plastic scrubber, Bar Keepers Friend, Soft Scrub gel, oven cleaner, CLR, Dawn Platinum Erasing Foam, Dawn, vinegar. The magic eraser and scraper would work but take forever. The Bar Keepers Friend DIDN'T work and I think it scratched up my paint (hooray inconspicuous test area). I now have a ton of cleaning supplies.

What did work: the steam cleaner I already had. I have a Shark hand held steam cleaner and the jet of steam worked well getting whatever it was off with some wiping with a towel. Best of all I don't have to worry about strange chemicals on my food surfaces. I noticed some scratches when using it but I think they were there before and I was just more focused then. There wasn't any red on my white towel when I was done but it did start to pull up the paint where there was a little chip missing so I was just gentle. Next time I'll just clean the case with the steam cleaner to begin with!

Archived