First location...when should I check on it?

MatthewMMorrow

Just placed in my first location I located myself. Not my formerly pink machine but a Vendstar triple. It's at a propane company where drivers and customer's can get to it. They suggested I put it right in front of the desk!

When you place a new machine when do you go to check on it? Have you ever had any problems where it sold out faster than you expected to return? The place is just 2 blocks so I figure I can walk over there and check on it in a week or two without using gas..

I normally do a month or less but my last new location luckily called me after two weeks to tell me it was getting really low. I will now have a new policy of 2 weeks on new locations, because they don't always call and 2 weeks empty is a really bad first impression.

I fill triples half way, and check after 30 days.

If it's a SWEET location (like a pizza place and I'm the only machine) then I'll fill it almost the whole way (2 bags per head) and check after 30 days.  It's next to impossible to have spoilage at a quality pizza location in my experience.  And time wasted checking on the machine is time I could spend on finding new locations, getting deals on craigslist, or cleaning my newest "used" machines ;)

wanted to add:  If it's an amusement type machine, I check after 1 week the fist time.  That's to keep a good impression and amusement can go bonkers when first placed (I used to do 2 weeks but after constantly having filled bill accecptors in the beginning I changed to 1 week).

I placed a machine last month in a franchise I have other locations in. They do about $50 a month so I dropped it and was gonna go back 4 weeks later (today) just to check in and service than adjust them all to 2 months. 2 of the 5 locations were completely empty not even a vend left in 8 heads. Opps. Looks like I won't be extending those

you should check on them like once a week or so.

well, until you get real big and good with the machines.

check to make sure it works good and vends properly and make sure the product is fresh.

err, unless you are vending non food items, of course.

Went and checked it today. When trying to locate one owner said they wouldn't allow it because they had problems with ants in the past so I took some advice from here and put Vaseline and bay leave to help prevent ants. Wouldn't want to lose my first location. Anyway, $3.25 in about 8 business days. Skittles did almost twice as well as m&m's and regular jelly beans combined. In the future I won't listen to my wife's candy selections. She didn't want M&I and BJs warehouse had a limited selection of other choices, hence the jelly beans.

Went and checked it today. When trying to locate one owner said they wouldn't allow it because they had problems with ants in the past so I took some advice from here and put Vaseline and bay leave to help prevent ants. Wouldn't want to lose my first location. Anyway, $3.25 in about 8 business days. Skittles did almost twice as well as m&m's and regular jelly beans combined. In the future I won't listen to my wife's candy selections. She didn't want M&I and BJs warehouse had a limited selection of other choices, hence the jelly beans.

So about 12.00 a month

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye on this location. $3.25 in 8 days out of a triple is weak.

Especially when those earnings are in the first week.

Consider pulling the 2 slowest earners for a different product.

Only use those products you intend to stock...don't buy anything special just to "see if it'll sell".

Keep rotating until you either find what works OR have tried all the different types of products you are willing stock.

If only one or two products sell, pull the machine for a single.

You should find at least one product that sells well.

Should you find nothing sells well consistently, find a new home for that machine.

Amen to sherlock..soon as I find new homes for the dead stiff vendstars sitting around my house I am going to be doing a review of my old route and pulling the slow movers!!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

And you can never really tell what its going to do until after the first month..first week might be 3 dollars and up. Then after the excitement wears off the first week..the true sales come out..it might continue or go down to a couple bucks a month...then its time to find a new home for it..

One more thing...when u get new customers.you NEVER NEVER go ask them how things are with the machine...you will always have some character who thinks they are the owner of the place tell you all the reasons why you SHOULDN'T be there..so think ninja..sneak in do your job and get out..if there is a customer complaint they will ALWAYS find you..they're waiting for you..you better believe it!! So quick in quick out..good business...try it..

Archived