Change Machine Law Suit

Jax Snacks

Another ridiculous law suit over a change machine.

Of course nothing is mentioned about suing the rowdy kids or their parents for lack of supervision.

Welcome to the new America - Colors are Red, White and Sue.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/espn-anchor-suing-ice-rink-after-coin-machine-cuts-her-arm-165533702.html

I had this happen to me last year.  Kids ripped the change machine off the wall and it fell on one of the kid's leg.  They got a lawyer and they sued us and the restaurant so we filed a claim with the insurance company.  Many months went by and I got a call from the adjustor saying that they never followed through and they were closing the file.  I am guessing they wouldn't pay the lawyer so they just stopped working on it.

It could still pop back up in the future but I am not going to hold my breath.

I had this happen to me last year.  Kids ripped the change machine off the wall and it fell on one of the kid's leg.  They got a lawyer and they sued us and the restaurant so we filed a claim with the insurance company.  Many months went by and I got a call from the adjustor saying that they never followed through and they were closing the file.  I am guessing they wouldn't pay the lawyer so they just stopped working on it.

Wow.  Just shows how important liability insurance is - even in vending.  An LLC may protect your assets, but only liability insurance will pay for settlement fees and lawyer fees (assuming the insurance decided to fight it).  The other party probably thought you would just settle and pay out without a fight, but not knowing you had insurance.

A supplier rep once told me a story of one of their clients being sued over a sticker machine falling over on someone.  The good news was that the court ruled in favor of the vendor and the case was closed.  The bad news was that the vendor had no liability insurance and had an $80,000 lawyer bill!  OUCH.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived