Firing Workers

bil10219

Does anyone have any sage advice on firing someone who you have established is stealing from you? I mean other than collect the keys and equipment. Caught them by pre-counting. They were skimming.  I owe them for hours worked how much should I pay them if at all? Should I get police involved.? They are a contractor. Thanks for your advice.

I'd pay them what is due and tell them it's their last day.  I don't think I'd bring up stealing.  Just say we are going to service in house from now on and your services are no longer needed.  

Bart

yikes! Hats off to you for catching that.have you talked 2 the guilty person? If so, how did it turn out? how much money was it? Did you only catch them at one account? How long have they been working for you? Every situation is different. if It was just a couple bux I would let it slide.. document it in a file for that employee. I would continue to spot check and develop a stronger case. If the employee was stealing hundreds or thousands of dollars I would confront them and see what they say... they may admit to it and have a great excuse! You can work out a deal where you garnish their wages.

bill, I can only speak from experience when I say that police won't do anything about it unless the employee admits to it, or you have video surveillance of the employee putting the money into their pocket.. or taking it out and directly spending it at the establishment.It's impossible to prove that they were the one responsible for taking it!the keys argh easily purchase online. Also, there are lock picking tools on the market. sometimes employees can feel such a strong sense of ownership that they feel entitled 2 a few extra bucks to cover lunch. I think you should talk to your employee.

It's a part time contractor who has only worked for me for a couple months. I don't feel I can ever trust them again so I feel I need to let them go. Has anyone ever had the experience where they talked to someone and they became honest from there on?

sometimes honest people make mistakes. without knowing the details and the severity of what happenedit's hard to make an opinion.if it was a couple bucks you could be dealing with an honest person that made a mistake.if you're dealing with an honest person and they know that you have checks and balancesthey will stay honest. When we started our business there was a vendor named Doug cooper that had over 10,000 machines up in newyork. He gave us the advice"you need to find ways to keep honest people honest because even honest people will make mistakes". as far as this employee goes, I would make sure you have another person present when you let him go.if he admits to stealing you have a witness and then it's not just your word against theirs.

sometimes honest people make mistakes. without knowing the details and the severity of what happenedit's hard to make an opinion.if it was a couple bucks you could be dealing with an honest person that made a mistake.if you're dealing with an honest person and they know that you have checks and balancesthey will stay honest. When we started our business there was a vendor named Doug cooper that had over 10,000 machines up in newyork. He gave us the advice"you need to find ways to keep honest people honest because even honest people will make mistakes". as far as this employee goes, I would make sure you have another person present when you let him go.if he admits to stealing you have a witness and then it's not just your word against theirs.

Sound advice all the way around.

So much of how this should/could be handled revolves around the amount you KNOW was stolen.

You don't have to share the amount here for everyone to see bil10219, but I would listen to hanihotdog's advice given the two scenarios: whether we are talking about a few dollars vs dealing with a lot of money that was taken.

Regardless, proceed with caution.

The laws are often on the terminated employee's/contractor's side.

Does anyone have any sage advice on firing someone who you have established is stealing from you? I mean other than collect the keys and equipment. Caught them by pre-counting. They were skimming.  I owe them for hours worked how much should I pay them if at all? Should I get police involved.? They are a contractor. Thanks for your advice.

Just let them go as quietly as possible - you're already deep in the mud by hiring someone as an employee and paying them as an independent contractor.  The IRS and the Labor Board would skin you alive if they were to catch wind of this.

I caught a guy stealing from me that went on for a few months. Of all places it was a police station that I service (talk about guts). They called me with a machine issue and said that my guy was out just yesterday. I said your stop wasn't scheduled until the following week. So I started out ahead of him on route and sure enough he was skimming. I than called him and told him I had proof and he admitted he was behind on bills and was taking money from me. Nothing worse than a theif and once it happens that person in my book can never be trusted again. Cut ties and move on.

Just so you guys know you can get a stamp online and stamp "do not duplicate " on your keys.

They are about $30 same as what locksmiths use.

Unfortunately, unless the key blank is unique that wouldn't stop someone who really wanted to make a copy. Just "color coordinate" your keys with colored electrical tape on the head and it no longer says "do not duplicate".

yikes! Hats off to you for catching that.have you talked 2 the guilty person? If so, how did it turn out? how much money was it? Did you only catch them at one account? How long have they been working for you? Every situation is different. if It was just a couple bux I would let it slide.. document it in a file for that employee. I would continue to spot check and develop a stronger case. If the employee was stealing hundreds or thousands of dollars I would confront them and see what they say... they may admit to it and have a great excuse! You can work out a deal where you garnish their wages.

This makes my head explode. What excuse could an employee possibly have that is a "good excuse for stealing". Let it slide? Until what point? Where do you draw the line. Yikes.

Sorry to hear about this and hope you resolve this bill

Blind, I was trying to not jump to any conclusions.  We only know one side of the story, and don't know the severity of the theft!  If it was a couple of bucks.. Maybe they weigh quarters?  maybe the employee had a scale that was not calibrated?  we don't know because bill did not say!!!  did the employee take 50% of the money from 30 stops?  we don't know!!!  maybe the employee needed some wd40 to lube up some coin mechs and took it out of the quarters?  I don't like to jump to conclusions..  sorry your blood is boiling!

I think everyone can learn from this...  If you have employee's you should definitely consult a lawyer (if you cant afford it, find a friend with a business that has a good lawyer and pick their brain) regarding employee rights/rules/procedures.  An employee handbook that spells out rules and consequences for breaking the rules is something every company should have.. if you spell out ahead of time what the checks and balances are, honest people will stay honest...   the dishonest people will stay dishonest... and that's when you take Bhfishers advice!!  great advice BH.!

I think that as employers we owe it to our employees to treat them with kindness, love, and mercy... Discipline and forgiveness...    That said, if someone knows the rules, and breaks them it is up to the employer to determine the severity of the offense.  sometimes it is cut and dry, and the best solution is that the employee should to go to jail.. other times, a simple reprimand and wage garnishing that will create an honest and loyal employee for life! 

This does not have anything to do with an employee... but it is in line with discipline and forgiveness. 

About 6 years ago I got a call from the Frederic MD police stating that a young man had broken two 25 C (northwestern heads) off of the bottom of a 9 way rack.  The "location" caught the kid and called he police... (they wanted me to press charges)..  The next day a juvenile correction officer contacted me regarding the case and wanted to know what I wanted to do.  I told her that the total cost of the damages was $150, and that I would like to speak with the kid who broke them.  He called me, and I told him how much money he cost me, and the severity of his actions and the consequences according to the law..  he got emotional and told me he was showing off for his friends and he promised to pay me back. I had a decision to make..  I could press charges and send a kid who made a split second stupid decision ("round house kick" my machine) to juvenile detention... or I could show kindness to someone who needed mercy... 

What did I do?   I told him that he did $150 worth of damages and I wanted him to make it right by paying it forward...  He cost me 6 hours worth of time and $150 worth of damages, so I told him to choose a charity that he was passionate about and volunteer for 6 hours.. then donate $150 and tell them about his story..  I told him that at some point in his life, someone will surely wrong him worse than he wronged me.. and he will have a decision to make.. About a month later I got a call from the officer assigned to his case.. She said that it was the most amazing experience she has been a part of, and thanked me for helping to steer that kid in the right direction.  I told her that every day I am the recipient of grace and mercy and that sometimes a little bit of forgiveness can go a long way.

...   the dishonest people will stay dishonest... and that's when you take Bhfishers advice!!  great advice BH.!

Thanks!  

I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed about it.  But I've learned it's not worth your time to press the issue.  You don't need to get others involved such as the government.  The employer is always guilty, until proven otherwise.

Whatever you do don't say I fired him because he was stealing if someone calls to verify employment.  If asked, simply say you would not rehire him. They'll get the message loud and clear.

Bart

BH's original advice is great and thats what I would try and do.  But firing someone without giving any details is extremely difficult, at least for me.  I would want to lay into them and ask them why they were screwing me over want to keep their last check and boot their butt out the door.  But at least here in the PRK (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) a former employee can come back on you alleging anything they want to the labor board and it can land you in hot water.  The employer is presumed guilty and you need documentation to prove your innocence.  Been there, done that.  So as hard as it might be, (assuming there is no employment agreement), just tell the weasel employee you are going in a different direction and that their services wont be needed and give them their final check and send them on their way.  Thats it.  Takes all of 20 seconds.  Dont start any chit-chat or other small talk as you may slip up and give out too much info (I have literally had to bite my tongue before to not say anything else during the awkward silence) that may then be twisted and used against you.  Best of luck.

The first thing you do when hiring anyone is tell them you are going to run a background check on them nation wide not just local.

that will get rid of 95 percent of the dead beats. they are very inexpensive to do. You never know who you are hiring.

Second have a non compete agreement made up and include in it that they are subject to a liar detector test and blood test anytime

you want to give them one and enforce it to the max.  That solves all the problems hiring someone and keeping them from stealing and

believe me it works. You make that a requirement for the job.

The first thing you do when hiring anyone is tell them you are going to run a background check on them nation wide not just local.

that will get rid of 95 percent of the dead beats. they are very inexpensive to do.

Does this also apply when hiring contractors? The OP is trying to get rid of a contractor.

Archived