Used Machine Pricing

Gambler

I have a chance to buy 10 Triple head 1800 vending machines for $50 a piece, all keyed the same in working condition.  From what I can tell, this looks like a pretty good buy, but I wanted to bounce it off of you guys before I squeezed on them, in case I never get off the ground and have to sell them.

I wouldn't give ten cents for a triple play machine. For every one hundred locations you are likely to get 80 will be single head locations, 18 double head, and maybe two will actually move product quick enough for more heads. But In that case use a small rack made up if single head machines. That way if you lose the location you can break the rack up into singles if needed.

And buy a northwestern, oak, or A&A PO 89, (never a A&A on 95) nor a beaver (too slow to service). That way we won't have to wade through endless posts " I have a vend derp 5000 and need a ......."

I don't own any 1800's.

Plenty of good things have been said around here about the 1800 triples.

And the price on your deal seems like a good one for that equipment.

If you want to run triples then thumbs up on the deal.

But, if you are just getting into this business, avoid triples.

If you already had locations in need of a triple (or 10) then I'd spend the money.

Otherwise, it's best to locate using other, more versatile, equipment like that recommended by musser.

Locations that would accommodate a triple and NOT earn the same with a double are very rare.

And locations that require more than what a double can do for you will usually be better served with at least a 4-way rack (wherein you could also vend flat product -- tattoos/stickers).

For that same $500 you are going to put into the 1800's, you could get yourself several quality singles that will be easier to locate, service, and maintain....less product, less maintenance.

That will give you a taste of the industry.

If you like it, then start investing in more equipment --- including triples if you come across the rare location that needs more than a double but less than a rack.

Good luck.

I wouldn't give ten cents for a triple play machine. For every one hundred locations you are likely to get 80 will be single head locations, 18 double head, and maybe two will actually move product quick enough for more heads. But In that case use a small rack made up if single head machines. That way if you lose the location you can break the rack up into singles if needed.

And buy a northwestern, oak, or A&A PO 89, (never a A&A on 95) nor a beaver (too slow to service). That way we won't have to wade through endless posts " I have a vend derp 5000 and need a ......."

Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't buy the PN95?

1800 triples are pretty good machines. I started out with one and then bought 12 more, and then bought a route with singles, doubles, and racks. I don't think 10 1800 triples is a terrible way to start out. Doubles might be better, but you may not be able to get doubles with stands for $50. One thing I recommend is getting some 50 cent coin mechs for them and sell toys in at least 2 of the heads. Having three heads of candy makes for a lot of spoiled product to throw away if it doesn't sell quickly.

Can you elaborate on why you wouldn't buy the PN95?

He may not use them for the reason we don't. The fit of globe to body. It's tight you have to force it to fit then work to get it apart. For us cabinet it the perfect size. We use e caps for busy spots.

The po89 like the oak it copied is cast in a mold. As long as the mold is good the parts maintain dimensional integrity.

The pn95 is a copy if the northwestern, the base and hopper are cast but the body is formed from sheet metal. Northwestern has better control over the quality if steel coil stock used for the body than A&A. Poor quality coil stock, lack of consitant chemical composition, thickness, purity etc will cause varience in how sheet steel bends. So, no matter how hard the Chinese manufacturers try they will have a crap product due to crappy steel. The resulting parts will end up not fitting well.

Northwestern uses better steel and it shows

What justifies going from single to double, double to triple, our as you mentioned to a 4 way rack?

I've got him talked down to $500 for all 14 machines that he has left.  Couldn't I run toys in one or two of the heads if I didn't want to run three holes of candy?

What justifies going from single to double, double to triple, our as you mentioned to a 4 way rack?

When you have a single or double whose product you rotate regularly and each product does well on a consistent basis.

And if your machines are nearly empty at every service.

If you have both indicators you have got a location in dire need of an upgrade in equipment.

However, even one of these indicators is a sign that upgrading equipment may be in order.

I've got him talked down to $500 for all 14 machines that he has left.  Couldn't I run toys in one or two of the heads if I didn't want to run three holes of candy?

Yes you can run 1" round caps (not acorns) in one, two or all three heads with gb wheel.

volume justifies the equipment you place. Put out a single head if it goes well try two and play with the products, if two do well add more. Its a whole lot cheaper to test a location with a single head gum machine and add if needed.

Yea you can probably vend caps in some triples but changing them out (which you need to do to maximize sales) is slow. Time is money.

I agree with Musser, stay away from triples for reasons stated.

It seems like many bulk vendors (who stick around for the long haul) go through at least 3 phases.

In their later years, they want nothing to do with triples and uturns

In their early years, they have an abundance of triples and uturns

And in their middle years, they are in the process of selling off their triples and uturns

Been there, done that myself.

I guess I should have been more specific..... What is a good amount for a single, double..... I've read anything from 7 on up. Is it basically the same as what I would expect from one of the Uturn canisters?

I was more pushing for Gambler to get the idea of why not a triple. I don't know the answer, but I definitely have woken up to the fact of too much product, not to mention quality and so on.

I would guess about 60 or so justifies a 4 way rack or close.

So, if you put the triples on location they would need to pull 40 to be worth while? Not to mention the change over. After Uturns, I don't think I want anything except singles and so on.

And Yes Jax, I think your right! It's the attraction of more is better, and offering more product in less space, and the thought process of "if I don't offer 8 products I will make less money". yes, I'm aware now that is TOTALLY INCORRECT! 

What's really funny is I changed my 1" sticky from .25 to .50 in the same location, added a live display and it sold more actual product. Crazy.

Gambler, you may like your triples for awhile, but in the end if you stick with it, the attraction of buying equipment might wear off, or you may stick with those, but if you ever try a Oak or quality single on a stand or a rack, you will never go back. 

I came on here for a different look on my own thinking because I knew I was missing something. It's taking time to switch, but man is the quality, time consumption, less mis-vends, and amount of money per stop worth every penny and minute spent worth it! 

Archived