What do I do with expired products?

ctimvend

Hello to all.  I'm new to vending.  I have 5 machines in 4 locations.  Any how I set them all up in August and May this year.  I went on vacation had my brother service them while I was away for 3 months and I came back and much of the products that I had placed in a 3 of the machines is now expired.  Needless to say I overstocked them.  And now have a bunch of chips and stuff on hand.  I have school age children who'd love to have me lace there lunch box with it.  I just need to know is there a way to write it off and or can it be returned to Costco?

You cannot return any expired products and there is no write off of the product as you have already expensed the items.  Stales are a cost of doing business and you have to "eat it" when items expire.  The only thing I would caution you about is to not leave stales at the location for them to consume as this will only cannibalize your sales.  You must remove the stales and either donate them, eat them or throw them out. 

Hello to all.  I'm new to vending.  I have 5 machines in 4 locations.  Any how I set them all up in August and May this year.  I went on vacation had my brother service them while I was away for 3 months and I came back and much of the products that I had placed in a 3 of the machines is now expired.  Needless to say I overstocked them.  And now have a bunch of chips and stuff on hand.  I have school age children who'd love to have me lace there lunch box with it.  I just need to know is there a way to write it off and or can it be returned to Costco?

You will continue to have this problem until you can get a couple of more machines out there.  In the meantime, try working with the combo packs found at Sam's.  You'll never eliminate the stales completely,  I have 13 snack machines running and still get about 3% waste factor.  My dog thinks this is just great but then he really couldn't care less about the economics of the situation.

I donate my stales to a place that feeds the elderly.

I brought two boxes of mixed chips to them Friday, I didn't have to being them in!

They went and took them out the back of van!

Thanking me the whole time!

cajun

Thanks for your feedback on this situation.  I will chalk it up as a learning curve and not over stock the machines until I know what sells best.  With that said can any one help take the guess work out and share some of the top selling snacks and sodas.  I have one snack machine that is dedicated to snacks only and 3 combo machines out there and two soda machines.  

Thanks for your feedback on this situation.  I will chalk it up as a learning curve and not over stock the machines until I know what sells best.  With that said can any one help take the guess work out and share some of the top selling snacks and sodas.  I have one snack machine that is dedicated to snacks only and 3 combo machines out there and two soda machines.  

You're much better off overstocking your machines than letting stuff go stale sitting in the box - at least you have some chance of selling it in the machine.  As for best sellers, this can be kind of regional and/or location specific.  The hot stuff always sells in Hispanic accounts and Crunchy Cheestos sell well everywhere along with Doritos Nachos.

I donate my stales to a place that feeds the elderly.

I brought two boxes of mixed chips to them Friday, I didn't have to being them in!

They went and took them out the back of van!

Thanking me the whole time!

cajun

If I'm correct, can't you write off the donation to charity? Even though it's an expense?

No not on chips you give that is stale.

I have a cold drink machine in a animal rescue shelter, what money i pull from it, I donate back to them in a company check and get a receipt from them and claim that on my taxes.

You can't write off any expired or spoiled product because you have already expensed it when purchasing it.  It becomes a cost of goods item which is a cost of doing business and the loss drops to your bottom line.  If you instead purchase and donate unexpired products and get an itemized receipt for it each time, and faithfully track your inventory in and out of the business so that the IRS can see that you aren't donating stales, then you can possibly write that off.  Check with your accountant on that.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone track spoiled items on your inventory count to make it all match? or do you just leave it alone.  The guy I bought my accounts from says he doesn't keep track, but I thought I would ask all you TVF members if you have any advice.

Thank You

You will have this problem until you get more machines out there . The first thing that you need to do is when you buy your product you need to take the time to look at the expiration dates on the cases and get the longest one on the shelf , put as many of the same products in all of your machines . Ive even heard of vendors that have a reduced price shelf but I don't suggest utilizing this option unless its a last resort .

I had this problem when I first started but you should get to the point that its not a problem . Ive  moved product from one location to another but in most cases youll also learn what your locations will and wont consume .

Best of luck to you !

Archived