How do you break the ice with a new location

huynhhh

When placing a machine in a location do you guys usually start with a single head of gumballs and upgrade if it does 10$+ Or do you jump to a double or triple head.

Of course within reason, like you would not put a single head GB in a Chinese buffet but a rack, but what about businesses such as small deli stores, or in my case a coffee shop.

I'm debating if I should just put a single head, or a double head with GB and Another type of candy as I am not sure if it would do good since people are drinking coffee

Gum is perfect for coffe shops,

What you could do is try a double head in there to see how it proforms; like its been said in another treand it only takes one candy junkie to make it a great proforming location.

I think chocolate covered espresso beans would suite the clientele best.

My wholesaler doesn't sell these, I'll look at my local walmart when I go, but has anyone had any luck with espresso beans? And how are the profits, and if you have had sucess, in what location/environment? Thanks :)

I'm debating if I should just put a single head, or a double head with GB and Another type of candy as I am not sure if it would do good since people are drinking coffee

Go with the single head GB.

Avoid buying the espresso beans for now.

Generally speaking, I strongly advise against buying a specific product just to suit a NEW single/double location:

1. you don't know if the location is any good.
  2. maybe what you already stock (like GB) might sell well there.

Why stock an extra product if you may not have to?

Go with the single head GB.

Avoid buying the espresso beans for now.

Generally speaking, I strongly advise against buying a specific product just to suit a NEW single/double location:

• you don't know if the location is any good.
  • maybe what you already stock (like GB) might sell well there.

Why stock an extra product if you may not have to?

What if someone doesn't like gumballs but rly likes skittles or m&ms?

What if someone doesn't like gumballs but rly likes skittles or m&ms?

Listen to orsd...you can't cater to everyone.

But, let me add this: My comments were not about skittles, m&m's, or any other product that the majority of bulk candy vendors stock.

It was aimed at the idea of buying a less-common vending product just to cater to a specific single/double head location that you have no history of vending in.

UPDATE: went in to place the machine today and walked out with the machine.. Here's what happened for those who haven't had much fun entertainment today.

So a week and a half ago I went in to locate and we agreed on 20/80 which is a fair commission according to many of you bulk vendors. So I went in and put my single head down and he immediately demanded 50% of net profits, and I tried to negociate saying we should leave it here for a while to see if it does well and we can go from there, I even offered to change the color of the beaver skin (green to red, coffee shop was red colored)

He tried to explain to me how commission works like I'm in kindergarten, telling me if I profit 20cents from a vend I make 10cents and he does too, which also pissed me off because I know my COG and he wanted to know it too, and I just told him that it's at home on my computer and I don't know exact figures at the moment (I actually did but why is it any of his buisness)

He then asked me how old I was, and I told him I was 17, then he went on saying "no wonder, you don't even know your own cog or know what margins are" and this is what ticked me off the most because my age and intellect did not reflect on the way I was pitching the commission a week and a half ago he was just being an unreasonable prick.

after some exchange of words he told me he didn't like my attitude, I obviously was getting pissed off because he said one thing and then another without giving me any room to compromise, insulting me because he thinks a 17 year old is not as intellectual in buisness as he is, which may be true but I know my cog, margins, and all that jazz. I decided that it was too much trouble than it was worth because in my mind at the time I was thinking if I give him 50/50 next thing he'll want is 60/40! He even called me a scam artist for offering 20% commission.. So I guess a bunch of you are scam artists with me.. Ha. I want locations but the trouble he could have caused me isn't worth a few dollars.

Edit: what would you guys have done if you were in my shoes?

That's the beauty of owning your own bulk vending biz...you don't have to put up with jackass owners... unless you want to.

I'd have done what you did. Except, I wouldn't have even debated the issue.

The moment a location starts trying to tell me how I should operate my vending biz, me and my equipment are out the door.

UPDATE: went in to place the machine today and walked out with the machine.. Here's what happened for those who haven't had much fun entertainment today.

So a week and a half ago I went in to locate and we agreed on 20/80 which is a fair commission according to many of you bulk vendors. So I went in and put my single head down and he immediately demanded 50% of net profits, and I tried to negociate saying we should leave it here for a while to see if it does well and we can go from there, I even offered to change the color of the beaver skin (green to red, coffee shop was red colored)

He tried to explain to me how commission works like I'm in kindergarten, telling me if I profit 20cents from a vend I make 10cents and he does too, which also pissed me off because I know my COG and he wanted to know it too, and I just told him that it's at home on my computer and I don't know exact figures at the moment (I actually did but why is it any of his buisness)

He then asked me how old I was, and I told him I was 17, then he went on saying "no wonder, you don't even know your own cog or know what margins are" and this is what ticked me off the most because my age and intellect did not reflect on the way I was pitching the commission a week and a half ago he was just being an unreasonable prick.

after some exchange of words he told me he didn't like my attitude, I obviously was getting pissed off because he said one thing and then another without giving me any room to compromise, insulting me because he thinks a 17 year old is not as intellectual in buisness as he is, which may be true but I know my cog, margins, and all that jazz. I decided that it was too much trouble than it was worth because in my mind at the time I was thinking if I give him 50/50 next thing he'll want is 60/40! He even called me a scam artist for offering 20% commission.. So I guess a bunch of you are scam artists with me.. Ha. I want locations but the trouble he could have caused me isn't worth a few dollars.

Honestly, this is where it gets fun for me. Now it's time to negotiate! I do pay some 50% profit, but what it boils down to is what are they expecting? Someone probably told him that you were making a fortune on the location. I usually ask them if I can include my expenses too? if they say yes, then we go from there including gas and and so on. If they say no, then I ask if they include theirs on their taxes and when they figure cost of goods? Then I ask about shipping, my time, and so on......

Then I ask them if its worth it to to quibble over the extra .50 their going to get a month? 

Obviously when you have a rack it's a different story and there is a bigger difference in money, but everything is about where you figure COG at! It usually includes everything you have to do to get the product and to the location. Then you get into Gross net, and all kinds of things, but that's the general idea. It's not just the cost of the gumball in the case or how you bought it. It's all expenses to get the gumball!!!!

That's the beauty of owning your own bulk vending biz...you don't have to put up with jackass owners... unless you want to.

I'd have done what you did. Except, I wouldn't have even debated the issue.

The moment a location starts trying to tell me how I should operate my vending biz, me and my equipment are out the door.

My only regret is not smashing my single head into the door.. 17 year old impulse but they ended up ticking me off pretty bad, I'm glad I walked out, I know how to run my business even though I'm new at this. (In terms of cog and stuff)

Several things I would have done differently, not criticising, just trying to help...

1- I wouldnt give commission on single head gb, they usually dont make enough where it would stasify the location. That same floor footprint you could put a 3col sticker or 3-4way.

2- When you got approval  I would have put the machine in right then not a week and a half later.  I never give the location time to think about it.

3- Sometimes locations that deal with amusements & games, or location owners that have business friends that deal with amusements, expect 50% as its the going rate. You have to LEARN how to educate them that bulk is different animal.  Its not always easy but its part of the game you have cogs.

Im not saying this guy was right but In this business your going to deal with 'unreasonable pricks'. Its your job to turn them into money making partners. You dont have to like them, they dont have to like you. If your both making money...all is good and trust me, they'll come around.

Several things I would have done differently, not criticising, just trying to help...

1- I wouldnt give commission on single head gb, they usually dont make enough where it would stasify the location. That same floor footprint you could put a 3col sticker or 3-4way.

2- When you got approval I would have put the machine in right then not a week and a half later. I never give the location time to think about it.

3- Sometimes locations that deal with amusements & games, or location owners that have business friends that deal with amusements, expect 50% as its the going rate. You have to LEARN how to educate them that bulk is different animal. Its not always easy but its part of the game you have cogs.

Im not saying this guy was right but In this business your going to deal with 'unreasonable pricks'. Its your job to turn them into money making partners. You dont have to like them, they dont have to like you. If your both making money...all is good and trust me, they'll come around.

The reason I waited for a week and a half was, he is newly opened, and when I went to place the machine the day he said he was gonna be there, he wasn't, so I couldn't place until today, which is about 6 days after he opened for buisness. I only have double and single heads, and don't do stickers/toys.. Yet, how do you suggest I pitch for future reference for gumballs?

I only have double and single heads, and don't do stickers/toys.. Yet, how do you suggest I pitch for future reference for gumballs?

Here's how you pitch those single/double set-ups for future reference....

You hook up with a charity vending program of your choice and pitch the machines as such.

Single head commission locations are a bad idea.

Double head commission locations are hardly any better.

You hook up with a charity vending program of your choice and pitch the machines as such.

What about when putting a double head in restaurants? Same approach? Charity?

Yes.

Mmmm...I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't think it's as cut & dry as "Yes".  Many factors can make a double completely reasonable for commission.  A busy restaurant double can do $80/month and if my competitor's are in there I want to be on the owner's radar.  I'll offer as high as 40% gross with the endgame being getting exclusive rights to the location down the road when the owner does some math and compares my commissions to the other guys.  But sherlock is right, MOST of the time charity doubles are the way to go.  

Mmmm...I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't think it's as cut & dry as "Yes". Many factors can make a double completely reasonable for commission. A busy restaurant double can do $80/month and if my competitor's are in there I want to be on the owner's radar. I'll offer as high as 40% gross with the endgame being getting exclusive rights to the location down the road when the owner does some math and compares my commissions to the other guys. But sherlock is right, MOST of the time charity doubles are the way to go.

Will keep in mind.. Not sure how Asian people will like not getting squat in their establishments (smaller busier restaurants)

Mmmm...I'm not saying I disagree, but I don't think it's as cut & dry as "Yes".  Many factors can make a double completely reasonable for commission.

You are correct.

Rarely is anything "cut & dry" in business.

A double can be very reasonable for commission.

But, they are better suited for charity in most locations.

Businesses best served with commission doubles are the exception, not the rule.

Not sure how Asian people will like not getting squat in their establishments (smaller busier restaurants)

And I'm not sure how to respond to such thinking.

Archived