Fancy machines vs. Traditional-looking machines

HotOiler3

Okay, so I've been browsing machines quite intently the last couple days, and I'm curious if some of you veteran operators have been able to determine if the fancy machines attract a considerable amount more customers than the traditional looking machines, I KNOW the gumball machines that spiral to the bottom outsell the ones that don't, I know this because as a kid, I didn't really even WANT gumballs out of any machines except the ones that spiraled the gumball to the bottom of the machine, but for instance, and keeping brand-reputations and comparisons completely out of the equation would this machine: http://www.candymachines.com/Super-2-Combo-Machine-P218.aspx

Outsell THIS machine?:  http://www.candymachines.com/Sqwishland-Sea-Mania-Vending-Machine-Package-P2198.aspx

Basically, considering the first, fancier looking machine is really close to TWICE the cost of the 2nd machine, would it be worth the extra cost of the machine?   Or do they generally do about the same?  Or speculating from a customers viewpoint, the more expensive LOOKING machine might make me think that the wares inside are offered at a higher price.....   Anybody experimented with this type of thing?

In my experience, if you have a good location, any type of machine will do well. The spirals are nice, but a regular machine is more flexible, because you put it anywhere, or use it in a rack etc. if you get a location where you have alot of kid traffic, and a single head is doing extremely well, then upgrade to a spiral. For the price of a spiral, you can buy 3 single heads. Then you would have machines, for 3 locations, instead of just 1.

That's pretty much what I'd figured, but thought I'd get some of you guys opinions on it before I went throwing my money away....   I gotta say, I'm sure appreciative that I'm getting into this in the days of the internet, instead of just finding out on my own like some of you guys on here who started in the days of old through complete trial and error without any opinions on anything aside from their own.  

Those machines are mostly import crap

Order direct from oak mfg, eagle emc, northwestern, beaver, and aa instead

You seem to have misunderstood the part where I said "keeping brand-reputations and comparisons completely out of the equation".    Honestly I'm not thinking about buying either one of the machines I provided links to above,  but seeing them, and the cost difference between them just made me think if investing in the more aesthetically pleasing machines really increased sales, while what I had in my head was in accordance to jmac's reply, I was just searching for some experienced opinions, since I'm still waiting on my very first machine http://www.lypcproducts.com/stickermachines.html%C2'>

I put a link up to my machine that I'm waiting to be delivered, and it seems to cut off the rest of my post after the link, I guess links aren't allowed, my mistake.     My machine is a 4 column LYPC flat vending machine.    I'm hoping it's still worth the investment despite not being manufactured by one of the companies you listed above, I guess time will tell.   After that I'm considering ordering a "pack" of 10 single head bulk candy machines, to just get some locations secured while I work on building my inventory to bigger and better machines, then use the single heads to secure 10 more locations, then upgrade... Lather, Rinse, Repeat. I'm hoping this is a solid plan for growth and expansion

You seem to have misunderstood the part where I said "keeping brand-reputations and comparisons completely out of the equation". Honestly I'm not thinking about buying either one of the machines I provided links to above, but seeing them, and the cost difference between them just made me think if investing in the more aesthetically pleasing machines really increased sales, while what I had in my head was in accordance to jmac's reply, I was just searching for some experienced opinions, since I'm still waiting on my very first machine

Sorry, didn't read completely

The only difference is between a average machine and a dirty crap machine or an a verge machine and a novelty machine eg larger, spirals, interactive, etc

Sorry, didn't read completely

The only difference is between a average machine and a dirty crap machine or an a verge machine and a novelty machine eg larger, spirals, interactive, etc

Well, I'm glad to see that so far it doesn't seem like my thoughts are too far from the thoughts of you guys experienced guys on the plane of what works and what doesn't......    I guess time will tell in the end if I'm really on the right track

Okay, so I've been browsing machines quite intently the last couple days, and I'm curious if some of you veteran operators have been able to determine if the fancy machines attract a considerable amount more customers than the traditional looking machines, I KNOW the gumball machines that spiral to the bottom outsell the ones that don't, I know this because as a kid, I didn't really even WANT gumballs out of any machines except the ones that spiraled the gumball to the bottom of the machine, but for instance, and keeping brand-reputations and comparisons completely out of the equation would this machine: http://www.candymachines.com/Super-2-Combo-Machine-P218.aspx

Outsell THIS machine?:  http://www.candymachines.com/Sqwishland-Sea-Mania-Vending-Machine-Package-P2198.aspx

Basically, considering the first, fancier looking machine is really close to TWICE the cost of the 2nd machine, would it be worth the extra cost of the machine?   Or do they generally do about the same?  Or speculating from a customers viewpoint, the more expensive LOOKING machine might make me think that the wares inside are offered at a higher price.....   Anybody experimented with this type of thing?

I run some of the Bounce A Roo machines and they will outsell a regular style machine easily with the same product.  A Shootin Hoops will do the same against a gumball machine. I run strictly Bouncy Balls in all of mine and can get the higher vend price. They are usually referred to as interactive machines. I would only buy these type of machines if you can get a good priced on used. They are not the type of machines that you can just place anywhere.

What problems do they normally have?

They're just simply low-end and built cheap.  The coin mechs don't hold up well over time.  I've bought some in the past that were new from Craigslist for like $10 each and at that price they're okay for gumball/candy units for charity stops, but at $50-60 each it's a waste of money.  They also are notorious for capsule misvends.  You can get better machines (Eagle, A&A, Northwestern, Oak) for the same price that will last you a long time.  Don't settle for easy, convenient online ordering for a cheap machine; make a phone call to a manufacturer listed above and you'll discover it's just as easy!

Thanks for the insight, it looked pretty industrial-like to me. I hadn't read anything bad about them, But hasn't read anything good about them either, the sale ended up falling through anyways, ended up buying one from a guy on here

Look at the names of the people who were actively posting about vendstars...are they still actively posting today or are they out of the "hobby" already? Yes I am sure there is an exception to this, I know there are a couple people that happen to have them on their route here and there but they don't have a route that consists only of them.

Good point, I really don't think I'll buy any more vendstars, I really can see the all plastic mechanisms failing rather quickly, But I'm just hoping I can nurse them along long enough to get me into some good machines.

Good point, I really don't think I'll buy any more vendstars, I really can see the all plastic mechanisms failing rather quickly, But I'm just hoping I can nurse them along long enough to get me into some good machines.

One of my early machines was an Ultravend.  I actually had four of them but sold the other three. That was almost 5 years ago.  It is still out on my route making me money.  I haven't done a thing to it other than clean it.  It is a cousin of the Vendstar.

I thank the Lord for vendstars. Those and crappy Seaga knockoffs were what I had the money for when I first started. Without them I may have never started at all.

I started with Uturn's, but I think there is something to be said about buying junk and going through the learning process. Even junk can make money. I didn't even know any better till I used a higher quality machine. Now I want to get nothing but oaks and so on! Now Oak has a quick collect base available! A little spendy, but  might be worth it. If not, there's always AA! LOL!

I thank the Lord for vendstars. Those and crappy Seaga knockoffs were what I had the money for when I first started. Without them I may have never started at all.

I think that's what I'm looking at Rick,   if it weren't for my vendstars, all I'd have is a sticker machine in a couple days and I might not get going with it at all.   

I don't really care if its a crappy machine or a top of the line machine making me money, so long as it's making me money.   :D

I talk alot of golpher but I really think in the end I'll be hating vendstars too, but for right now, I'm all about them.

Oh  absolutely.  Make no mistake, orsd and Nick are speaking the truth.  There's a reason that candy triples like vendstar, seaga, ultravends, selectivend, etc. are the most neglected machines you see out there. There's also a reason that most Oak, A&A, Northwestern, Beaver racks and doubles are in restaurants, laundromats and shopping chains (big money locations) are well maintained.  Those are simply what the professional guys who are in it for the long haul are using.  There's usually a point in every bulk vendors journey where the quality of your equipment is practically as important as the quality of your locations - simply for the sake of time and ROI. But even a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a first step, and for some of us that first step is whatever we can get our hands on.  The thing you have to keep in mind, is when the veteran posters around here tell you the equipment you bought is crap, they're not trying to kick ya in the head or tell you you're stupid for buying it - they just know where that road goes and you WILL save time and money in the long run spending bigger money on the front end.  

Archived