Started in on the dark side

HotOiler3

So today was the 1-week mark for my vendstar being in service, I went down to count it to get an idea of how much it is going to bring in, and I'm INCREDIBLY impatient.    $8.50 total inside,  I''ve been wondering, is it possible to set these machines to vend entirely TOO MUCH?  I have almost $100 worth of candy inside, and I'm worried that I'm going to lose money on what I have the wheels set at.  I don't factor fuel costs into this location because it's next door to the post office which I go to every day anyway.  I hope I'm not losing money on my product though.   I have M&M's set to the 2nd from the highest notch in the wheel, and I think skittles are at about the halfway notch.   When I go check on them in ten days I'll throw a quarter in to get an exact count of how many it is spitting out per vend.

My honor box has been there for 4 days and had $10 inside and zero shortage.  

Maybe honor boxes are the way to go for starting up, given that you find good locations with low shortage rates..... 

I've decided with my 2nd vendstar, that when the new lock comes in I'm going to fill it with premium dog foods and put it at the local dog shelter for people "interviewing" potential new pets.   I'm going to offer a 10% commission right up front (I've made up my mind that in this area I'm capping off at 10% commission, when I move up to the big city that might change however)  Because giving a commission to the dog shelter to me is donating to a charity in and of itself. 

I also put my sticker machine down at the same location, me and the store owner agreed to give it 10 days to see how it does, I don't think it will do very well in the long run with what I have in it, but it's better than sitting at my house and I've had a change of heart as to where I planned on placing it before.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today was the 1-week mark for my vendstar being in service, I went down to count it to get an idea of how much it is going to bring in, and I'm INCREDIBLY impatient.    $8.50 total inside,  I''ve been wondering, is it possible to set these machines to vend entirely TOO MUCH? 

oh hell yes

they could probably vend more than .25 worth of candy

Damn.   I suppose I need to go down and actually count how many M&M's it's throwing out with every turn of the handle.   From what I've gathered 8-9 is the magic number, I'm paying more for candy than most of you guys anyways, so much more than that and I'm probably losing money, or at best, making very, very little profit.

Dang...   Maybe I will just build myself up with honor boxes.    What about skittles and reeses pieces and NORMAL M&Ms?   Are they easier to work with as far as COG and profit margins?   Maybe I'll just do the whole premium dog food thing, but there's only one shelter in this county and the next nearest county.   Vending machines are a pretty rare sight in my area except for the Wal-mart which has 866 numbers on them, so obviously walmart has contracted with some HUGE vending company.  But in all the hardware stores, banks, salons, and all the other non-franchise stores, machines are nowhere to be found for the most part, I'd really like to capitalize on that if I could.  

I do have skittles and they seem to sell about equally with the peanut butter M&M's.   The Peanut M&M's probably don't do as well as they should with the Peanut Butter ones being right next to them.   I think I need to invest in single and double head machines,  I'm starting to see why some guys say triple heads aren't as great as you'd think they'd be.

The Peanut M&M's probably don't do as well as they should with the Peanut Butter ones being right next to them.  I'm starting to see why some guys say triple heads aren't as great as you'd think they'd be.

Just think of the poor guy trying to fill 8 select Uturns. I dont even know where you find enough different candy to fill those.

I do have skittles and they seem to sell about equally with the peanut butter M&M's.   The Peanut M&M's probably don't do as well as they should with the Peanut Butter ones being right next to them.   I think I need to invest in single and double head machines,  I'm starting to see why some guys say triple heads aren't as great as you'd think they'd be.

Glad to hear you say that!  Historically, multi-selection bulk candy vending has not done well.  The multiple candies tend to cannibalize each other and historically has had a low probability of success over the years.  Look around here, there are very few success stories (if any?) with triple head, four head or eight head multi-candy selection vending.  And what are the most abandoned machines out there?  Vendstars and Uturns - both multi-candy selection machines.

So it's not necessarily the machine itself that veteran vendors dislike.  They (myself included) dislike bulk multi-candy selection vending - period!

Just think of the poor guy trying to fill 8 select Uturns. I dont even know where you find enough different candy to fill those.

Ditto.  There are not enough viable candy products for 8-selects.  What usually happens it that they end up putting the same product in multiple canisters - totally defeating the purpose of 8-selection machines.

I think I need to invest in single and double head machines,  I'm starting to see why some guys say triple heads aren't as great as you'd think they'd be.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Ladies and gentlemen...we have a winner!

I have 4 really busy pizza places that won't allow a rack. So I have 8 select u turns in there doing $80-150 a month. I only use 3 candies. Skittles runts and bonz. The other bottom canister is gumballs. All 4 bigger canisters sell 1 inch toys and do really well for me. But only because they won't allow a rack

I have 4 really busy pizza places that won't allow a rack. So I have 8 select u turns in there doing $80-150 a month. I only use 3 candies. Skittles runts and bonz. The other bottom canister is gumballs. All 4 bigger canisters sell 1 inch toys and do really well for me. But only because they won't allow a rack

Have they given you a reason why they won't allow a rack?

Same owner. Used to work with him and he owed me a favor. Vendors have tried for years he just doesn't want to be bothered with it. Won't accept commission either. Works well for me knowing I'll never get the boot by a competitor. Tons of room for racks he just doesn't care. He also owns half of the apartment complexes in my town don't think the few dollars matters to him

I did almost buy a 4 select U-turn in that dark time between wanting to get into vending and finding this forum.   I do think the U-turns look neat, I wouldn't maybe having ONE, one day, but I'm glad I didn't get it.   

Glad to hear you say that!  Historically, multi-selection bulk candy vending has not done well.  The multiple candies tend to cannibalize each other and historically has had a low probability of success over the years.  Look around here, there are very few success stories (if any?) with triple head, four head or eight head multi-candy selection vending.  And what are the most abandoned machines out there?  Vendstars and Uturns - both multi-candy selection machines.

So it's not necessarily the machine itself that veteran vendors dislike.  They (myself included) dislike bulk multi-candy selection vending - period!

Ditto.  There are not enough viable candy products for 8-selects.  What usually happens it that they end up putting the same product in multiple canisters - totally defeating the purpose of 8-selection machines.

So what about double head machines?  Double heads are okay right?  If nothing else the SIMPLE selection of candy or a gumball, that sounds feasible right?

DING! DING! DING! DING!

Ladies and gentlemen...we have a winner!

What do I win?!

I do have skittles and they seem to sell about equally with the peanut butter M&M's. The Peanut M&M's probably don't do as well as they should with the Peanut Butter ones being right next to them. I think I need to invest in single and double head machines, I'm starting to see why some guys say triple heads aren't as great as you'd think they'd be.

If you ever need reasons why not multi head, just let me know.

You win the opportunity to run a more profitable vending business.

Please don't squander such a valuable prize.

Thanks Sherlock.   You saying that means alot.  

Thanks all you guys for the positive support in my progress so far, I really appreciate it.

If you ever need reasons why not multi head, just let me know.

Let's hear them, just so I'm clear on all the reasons  :D

Placed another honor box at my Mom's work in the breakroom today, currently that's 112 miles away, but it's in the same town that we are in the process of moving to, but she is going to help me keep it stocked until I get up there.   I'll keep you posted on that one now too.

So here's what I have.

1 Vendstar, 1 Honor box and 1 4 column sticker/tattoo machine a the nerd store down the street.

1 Honor box at my Mom's work.  

I'm NOT optimistic about where the sticker machine is, but in 9 days I'm pulling it and seeing about putting it in the grocery store, although I'm not sure what my chances are of placing it there,  the owner of the store doesn't know me, but I know alot about him and I don't care for him, so.....I won't do a commission, but there are normally coffee cans for donations at the cash registers, I WOULD offer to take 10% or so of every collection and drop it in those coffee cans, but I won't give him any of my profits,  I know you guys are going to say this is cutting my nose off to spite my face, and perhaps it is, but I'm pretty set on that.  

Well, in vending you'll run into aa lot of different attitudes and people. Something I used to say was friendship is friendship, business is business, and the rest is golpher! Meaning to keep them separate, and to leave opinions out of it.

Do I practice this? Mostly, but the benefit of being self employed and employed, is I can be picky if I need to be, but it takes an awful lot!

That's up to you. Just depends on how you want to handle it. I try not to set limitations on things like that. It can bite me in the end.

unless someone is trying to equip me off, I'm pretty good.

I try to run my business like it's someone else's.

I hear you.   I'm just not accustomed to professional etiquette,  I've worked in construction and oil fields all my life,   just imagine how badly drill sergeants talk to their grunts in the movies and multiply that by 9,000........ That's the kind of etiquette I'm used to.   I can be well spoken in typing as I'm doing now, but in person it's a bit more difficult at times, and I "connect" with more people being myself minus obscenities and vulgarities than I ever have trying to act professional, I think that's why my first sales pitch was such a disaster, now I go in and just talk to the store owner like normal, he gives me what he thinks is "tips" on running my business..... It's went so much smoother when I act like "me" instead of some kind of professional businessman giving a professional sales pitch.... Seems more personable.   HOWEVER I did write an email to my Mom's boss to ask about placing an honor box in her breakroom, I'll share it in case anyone can help me reflect on how to improve it,  *I* think it's professional yet personable since I've been involved with her work since I was like 8 years old, I used to go down and run their sensitive documents through their shredding machine and the boss would give me $5.00, sometimes $20.00  ANYWAY, here is the email: 

Hi Jake,

I'm writing you to inquire about placing an honor box in (your business), or possibly more than one if space and demand allows, my Mom says you have a no soliciting policy, but since I'm not actually trying to sell you anything, I think you'll be alright with the loophole?   I stock my boxes with chips, pastries, Austin cheese crackers, cookies, and a few other items, I take FULL responsibility for any damage or theft to my product or units, so you don't assume any liability for anything not paid for or otherwise damaged, basically, it's nothing more to you than a very nice service provided for your employees at no cost to you whatsoever,   My phone number will be on the box and employees can call or text me with requests of items they'd like to see in my box if my default selection leaves them wanting something else, so long as it's cost effective.  I don't know if you talk to my Mom too much, but I was in the oilfields of Wyoming and most recently Roosevelt until my Grandpa passed away in December, and my Grandmother got deathly ill shortly after and I had to quit my job to come home and take care of her and the trailer court her and my Grandpa owned,  so being her primary caretaker keeps me from getting full-time employment, and I'm doing whatever I can to bring in some money to pay my own bills, and this honor box is part of that, otherwise I probably wouldn't normally be doing this sort of thing, but would keep my service ongoing as long as I was able.   I would appreciate the chance to drop one of my boxes off, even if just for a trial run of 30 days.   I look forward to hearing back from you.  You can also call or text me at 435-609-**** if that is more convenient than Email.

Thanks for your time,

Tyson Nielsen

Now as far as the "sob story" at the end, I didn't feel right sharing that with him in order to place a box, but my Mom insisted I should mention it, so I did.    Here is his reply:

Tyson,

Good morning. Thanks for reaching out to us. I appreciated the professionalism of your email. If you would like to place one of your boxes in our break room that would be great.

Thank you and have a great day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My email was sent last night, his reply was recieved this morning.  I tried to make it up there on time tonight but was about a half hour too late so my mom is taking the box with her to work in the morning.   I think he'll appreciate the fast action on my part. 

Archived