Started in on the dark side

HotOiler3

I'm big on installing with in 2 days. It's part of our contract. I prefer to take equipment with me when I do locating for myself. It goes in better and less time for them to reconsider or hear other peoples opinions on it!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. so I went to pitch the local shelter, and the lady was NOT impressed with my idea, she said "why would someone put money in a machine to get a handful of dog food?"   I told her "PREMIUM dog food, and I think most people looking to adopt a dog would see a handful of PREMIUM dog food as a valuable tool while "interviewing" a potential new dog,  I know I would put a quarter in for a handful of dog food to give as treats or whatever for a dog I was looking at"  I even told her I'd give 10% of my profits...... She gave me a card and told me to call her in a week, which works for me since I just ordered the lock for my 2nd vendstar this morning, but she didn't seem too impressed with the idea.   Tomorrow I'm going into price to get tires rotated and the Carbon county animal shelter is on the way so I'm gonna see what they say, maybe I'll have better luck with them. 

ALSO, I went to some other places, and there are machines already there, except they don't have LOCAL phone numbers on them, in you guys' experience, how likely is it a business will run off the big corporate vending guys to allow a local guy to replace the machine?  

Got the machine painted and glued PVC cleanout fittings and caps on the sides and top, to make it look like a fire hydrant, I need another can of paint to put some finishing touches on it, and I'm going to stencil "NO PARKING" on the bottom in yellow.   I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.   I'm going into Price tomorrow to see about putting it in the animal shelter there and as soon as the new lock comes in It'll be ready to place.

My mom counted $7.50 in the honor box at her work, IN ONE DAY!  Hopefully those numbers stay consistent, and my Mom said alot of her co-workers said they would have bought something except they didn't have cash with them, so it might actually produce HIGHER numbers since those co-workers said they'd be bringing cash and change to work with them in the future.

I also have an appointment in the morning with the manager at the grocery store in town about placing my sticker machine.  Wish me luck guys! 

Just try, you never know how crap the others service is

That's exactly what I told my fiance, in fact she knows the owner of the laundromat (she worked for his mother in the past) and I told her that he might run off the machines with the Oregon phone number to let me place mine in their place.   I'll keep you all updated on that as well. 

It's sometimes attended and it's sometimes not from what I understand, today was actually the first time I'd ever set foot inside of the place,  but he does have camera's all over inside, and it's a small enough area that I could probably track down whoever stole or damaged my machine with a 12 gauge.   The machines that are there don't seem to be damaged, and the washing machines and dryers don't really look like they've been vandalized too much either, I'm sure that the painstakingly obvious camera's in the ceiling are to thank for that.      and I don't plan on acquiring anymore vendstars unless I get a screaming deal on them and just like you say, I'd be VERY careful about where I place them for sure.     I really think I want to try an Oak machine,  I am really going to need to invest in some single and double head machines REALLY soon, and if I get this grocery store on board, I'll need a rack soon as well!  

Oh I see.   So.... I call you, and you call around in my area to local stores here and ask if I can put my machine there?    For a fee of course?

Of course! But that's not what I was trying to make a point of. I was more pushing the fact of the installing with in 2 days. 

Man, that is slick if you had a laundry mat! That makes me want to get one just to have one of those!! LOL! I don't have my shop any more, but I have several friends that work in fab. 

If I were to build thee rack I would put the machine on shelves and shelves on drawer sliders. Also, I would put solid steel or mesh on the sides and solid steel on the back and top, with the potential of a sloped top to deter coffee cups trash and ad racks. Also, the bolt down tabs would face inward, with a reinforced steel bottom and sheet metal sides. This is so you could put sand in the bottom to deter vandals. Also, I would weld a bolt to the securement holes so you could use levers like the ones on snack machines to save the locations floor from rust. Also, I would make the height ada compliant s you can bolt it down, as the ada rules only Apply to hardwired, plumbed in or affixed machines. Also id add bars to the front doors above the coin mech where the hopper and body met, and one between the flap and mech to secure the machine further, with the option of a mesh front. Also id put the half round pieces to allow a hockey puck lock.

Of course! But that's not what I was trying to make a point of. I was more pushing the fact of the installing with in 2 days. 

I know what you were trying to say Rodney, I was just trying to get an understanding of what you do.   I'm just curious about the whole "locating" thing, what is it you do that your clients can't do themselves?  I don't mean that to sound as rude as it sounds to read it, I'm genuinely curious.  

And I've reached my breaking point with golphering pile of golpher golpher vendstars!!!!!  That didn't take long did it?  Right now with the machine that I've painted red my investment cost is as follows $30 for initial purchase of the machine, $10 for a new lock this morning and $30 for paint and PVC fittings, then tonight when I was putting the working top lock on after painting, the golphering son of a golpher snapped off while I was tightening it up!!!!!!  So I'm into this machine $80 now after just ordering a 2nd top lock....... I AM DONE with them after this one.   Everyone feel free to say "We told you so"  :P   I'm not all that upset about it, other than knowing I could have picked up an Oak for near what I've got into this one.   I'm still excited about putting it into service at the local shelter though, so it hasn't dampened my spirits that much, but I do know I'm done investing in vendstars.  

If I were to build thee rack I would put the machine on shelves and shelves on drawer sliders. Also, I would put solid steel or mesh on the sides and solid steel on the back and top, with the potential of a sloped top to deter coffee cups trash and ad racks. Also, the bolt down tabs would face inward, with a reinforced steel bottom and sheet metal sides. This is so you could put sand in the bottom to deter vandals. Also, I would weld a bolt to the securement holes so you could use levers like the ones on snack machines to save the locations floor from rust. Also, I would make the height ada compliant s you can bolt it down, as the ada rules only Apply to hardwired, plumbed in or affixed machines. Also id add bars to the front doors above the coin mech where the hopper and body met, and one between the flap and mech to secure the machine further, with the option of a mesh front. Also id put the half round pieces to allow a hockey puck lock.

Sounds like a well thought out plan, I like it.

I know what you were trying to say Rodney, I was just trying to get an understanding of what you do.   I'm just curious about the whole "locating" thing, what is it you do that your clients can't do themselves?  I don't mean that to sound as rude as it sounds to read it, I'm genuinely curious.  

And I've reached my breaking point with golphering pile of golpher golpher vendstars!!!!!  That didn't take long did it?  Right now with the machine that I've painted red my investment cost is as follows $30 for initial purchase of the machine, $10 for a new lock this morning and $30 for paint and PVC fittings, then tonight when I was putting the working top lock on after painting, the golphering son of a golpher snapped off while I was tightening it up!!!!!!  So I'm into this machine $80 now after just ordering a 2nd top lock....... I AM DONE with them after this one.   Everyone feel free to say "We told you so"  :P   I'm not all that upset about it, other than knowing I could have picked up an Oak for near what I've got into this one.   I'm still excited about putting it into service at the local shelter though, so it hasn't dampened my spirits that much, but I do know I'm done investing in vendstars.  

Sounds like a well thought out plan, I like it.

First, Oak has a sale on right now, or did a couple days ago, 1" set the way you want recon'd with new powder coat for 36.00 + shipping. So they are really cheap right now. 1/2 price I think.

On our services as a locating company it's experience, knowing what to say, being able to read people and so on. But we have a database that we pay for to pull a list of criteria that we have found to be productive. Basically, it's in the neighborhood of 15 employees. So either break rooms, or out front, whatever comes up in our list. If it's small honor boxes, then it's restaurants primarily. 

there  isn't anything that we do that you can't. I tell everyone openly that it's better to locate yourself. There will be businesses that we miss. We're on the phone using a database, not in person. Besides that, there are locations that someone can get in person that you can't on the phone. The phone lacks personality.

I can though, cover a lot more area quicker than you can drive. We have a customer on tvf that is pretty spread out. We get the locations and he installs. He did 5 today. Now it will depend on if we get more tomorrow or whatever, but there are pro's and con's to every service. 

I gotcha.   That's what I kind of figured but just wanted to make sure, I'm with you for sure that face to face beats over the phone for sure, what ratio of calls do you make as far as yes's and nos?   1 yes for every 5 calls on average or what?  Or is that information you're not wanting to divulge, I understand if it's not

In my dreams it would be that easy! With a great charity and area combined out can be like that or a little better, but with highly saturated charities and areas, 5 in 2 days with over 3 hours on the phone each day is bad, like Denver area, I won't even take customers in Florida any more.

Average I guess is 15-20% with Nccs. But with a good charity it's reverse.

I don't do anything different than what's in the locating scripts here on the forum. One of the differences though is that we have some corp places that are pre approved, and we have a general idea of what to say to certain ones to get approval. Basically experience.

Got approval for the fire hydrant vendstar in the animal shelter, so as soon as I get the parts she'll be placed :-)

The lady I was supposed to talk to at the grocery store about the sticker machine wasn't there this morning, I'm in getting tires rotated now so on my way home I'm going to check back in to see if she's there

Talked to the lady at the grocery store on the way home from getting my tires rotated, and she said she'd talked to her husband and give me a call, But It's 7pm now and I haven't heard anything, so maybe in a day or two, I'm really hopeful to set up shop in that grocery store with the sticker machine and invest in a rack,  but who knows.... 

Archived