Any advice for placing bigger racks?

THEVendor

Currently have three 8 ways that I need to place since they taking too much space in my storage. Have kept being told that it takes too much space by owners of different businesses.. But any advice on placing racks would be really helpful!

I don't have a huge amount of experience in that manner, but I only have 1 location that is a 8 way, but I have 3 that are Uturn racks that take just as much space up. What I've found is that its easier to place a 4 way or 6 way. Then it's easier to ask if they'll allow another 8" for the next size up. I usually convince them with it will make them more money.

I also don't use actual measurements when discussing. It sounds to big. I point out on the floor saying it will take up about 2 tiles wide and one and a half deep. Tiles are typically 12x12 or some are 18x18. 

Then it's visual and they can physically see the foot print.

I think it was maybe ronsidney who was the poster that said when he placed cranes and some of his larger interactive machines, he used to have a piece of cardboard cut to the specific footprint of the machine so he could lay it on the floor and give the owner a good visual of how much space it will really take up.  Eight heads sounds like a lot but these racks are built to save space and they're generally nowhere near the size the owner has in his/her mind.  That, and I also remember him saying he'd pin $100 bill or two to the cardboard as well to grease the wheels.  A lot of people around here aren't very keen on front-money but the simple truth is it works.

Also, when you find a place that can even support an 8-way it's a good bet another vendor is already there.  At that point, your racks either better be higher quality and look sharper than theirs or you need to be prepared to top their commission. One way or another you have to top what's already there 

My suggestion is look for new businesses opening up. You can just browse legal notices published around you. First, your hitting them before anyone else does and second, your setting up before floor space gets filled by other vendors & suppliers which allows you to get the best spot.

Also, pay attention to construction signs, usually there will be a superintendent guy there and they can plug you into who you need to talk with.

I got one of my best locations from talking with a painting crew doing tenant improvements on a closed grocery store. A guy was opening a mercado, All it cost me was a 'thank you'. Should have bought them a case of beer.

If you have any good locations that you share with other vendors, that may be a good place to try.

Especially if the other vendor(s) aren't doing a good job.

Let the location know you have the right equipment to properly fill the space if they agree to make you the sole vendor in their business.

They may like the idea of dealing with only one vendor...and be rid of the crappy vendor(s) without loss of revenue or product selection.

I would suggest breaking those big racks into smaller racks for more flexibility when placing.  I typically don't build anything bigger than a 5 way and then use 2 of them either side by side or split apart in a location.

Thank you everyone so much for the different advice and recommendations!

I am going to go locating again tomorrow and try the advices given here!

Also have 3 locations with smaller racks so will try to persuade the ones that have more space to let me put in the 8 way.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read my post and for posting comments! Everyone is greatly appreciated-

Archived