Texas operator finds success with just bulk

havending

There is a multi state operator in frisco Texas using only bulk to succeed. There was an article in the latest VT that I got last week. They are making a move to only one inch caps for toy offerings. I agree with that 100% as the cost of goofs and freight are so much better. We have also started to move to only one inch in msny spots.

Oops hit post on accident

I'm suprized that they choose not to run cranes or merchandisers. Adding them really helps gross collection and cost of goods as well as secure new accounts and be the only operator in the location. Many ways to skin a cat I guess.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is still life in the 2 inch product just not what it used to be.

I understand what they are doing, in fact I have seriously considered bucking the trend and dropping back to 50 cents on two inch. The key would be ordering in bulk and capping here or custom order product from the suppliers. In other words just cap the typical 1" item in 2" caps and low ball the stuff in the 1 ", just like we did 20 years ago.

There is still life in the 2 inch product just not what it used to be.

I understand what they are doing, in fact I have seriously considered bucking the trend and dropping back to 50 cents on two inch. The key would be ordering in bulk and capping here or custom order product from the suppliers. In other words just cap the typical 1" item in 2" caps and low ball the stuff in the 1 ", just like we did 20 years ago.

Good points and if I could only turn back the clock. I remember the sales of that era. Cash boxes full not to mention the flat trends boy bands etc. We have not dipped to .50 on one inch but we have been doing some .25 one inch in shared accounts

And flat?

Flat will always be hit or miss but still earns well. Cog is great on flat.

My 2" items are still doing very well so I don't see why there is any trend to go away from them.  Maybe I will see it eventually but for now I am sticking with it for sure.

Wonder if it's a geographic thing.

My two inch products are my slowest moving item in any location I try them in.

Many types of 1", candy, flat, GB, and bounce-balls all sell waaay better than any 2" I've tried...and I've tried a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read that he was doing anything special that anyone else wasn't aware of.  His choice to slowly do away with 2" is a practice we all have been made aware of. Longevity is what he has going for him. In business since 1973. Refurbs? We all do some of that.

I didn't read that he was doing anything special that anyone else wasn't aware of.

If you recall, its all about the jumpsuit. It really makes a difference.

Also, NO PRODUCT LABELS!

And all this time I thought VT was a legitimate trade publication.

I didn't read that he was doing anything special that anyone else wasn't aware of. His choice to slowly do away with 2" is a practice we all have been made aware of. Longevity is what he has going for him. In business since 1973. Refurbs? We all do some of that.

The special part is all bulk. That's a stand out for pro vendors. Sure the part timers and charities may be just bulk. But the operator here is large and is in several states and has no cranes or merchandisers. Every bulk guy I lnow has other machine types as well to help increase revenue and net earnings. So he's not really doing what we all are.

Just read THIS POST and saw who the article is about.

Should've known....

Not sure what the "should have known " is all about. But any vending news that has helpful content for operators is worth posting IMO. No matter how anyone feels about the subject of the article. Subject here being the owner of the company.

A toy vendor who eliminates 2" caps is just opening the door to another toy vendor who does do 2" .

Don't know how a competitor would pitch 2" in such a magical way that an existing vendor would get the boot.

If replacing 2" with flat or more 1", you aren't leaving any open floor space for the competition that the 2" was taking up.

The special part is all bulk. That's a stand out for pro vendors. Sure the part timers and charities may be just bulk. But the operator here is large and is in several states and has no cranes or merchandisers. Every bulk guy I lnow has other machine types as well to help increase revenue and net earnings. So he's not really doing what we all are.

I only do bulk. No cranes or merchandisers. 

Don't know how a competitor would pitch 2" in such a magical way that an existing vendor would get the boot.

If replacing 2" with flat or more 1", you aren't leaving any open floor space for the competition that the 2" was taking up.

By convincing them they're losing money without bulk!

if you're not there to defend our, they won't know any better.

That's how I used to get locations with 8 selects.... More product means more money! I even used to believe it! Lol

Glad to be doing bulk only now after my short stint into cranes. Have everything now to powder coat my own equipment but still have to run another 220v 50amp line for stove. Working on some sports themed machines right now to re-sell. Got behind but the first 3 Alabama ones will be done next week.

By convincing them they're losing money without bulk!

if you're not there to defend our, they won't know any better.

That's how I used to get locations with 8 selects.... More product means more money! I even used to believe it! Lol

No one is removing bulk altogether.

The suggestion was to replace 2" toys with better selling & more profitable products -- like flat or additional 1".

And, if some locations believe more product means more money, then 1" heads or flat instead of 2" heads would make even more sense.

You can fit more heads of 1" and/or columns of flat vend than you can fit heads of 2" on most racks.

Never said 'existing vendor would get the boot'

If there is space you can tighten up existing machines and slide right in.

It would be an easy pitch to persuade them to go with me because I offer 2".

If that's so, then you are just a good pitchman. Doesn't lend any merit to the benefits of 2".

If you were so inclined, you would do just as well pitching the benefits of avoiding 2" to those same locations.

I may not be good at pitching, but I do ok.

And I can successfully pitch the benefits of 1", 2", flat, or any combo thereof depending on what I see my competitor vending in any given location.

Archived