Multiple pricing

HotOiler3

How do you guys feel about multiple pricing in honor boxes?  Especially the idea of having a full size honor box with everything priced at $1 and a small box attached to the side with little laffy taffy's, tootsie rolls, york mints, cinnamon fireballs and things like that for the $0.35 or 3 for $1.00?   I realize that they both do well separately, but what do you think about tying these together like I just described?   I'm thinking about doing this with my honor box that is placed at my Mom's work, and I'm fairly confident that shortage isn't going to be a big issue, since most everyone in the building knows me and knows the box is mine, and as has been said here, people are less likely to steal from you if they can associate a persona to the box owner, many of these women I've fixed their cars at a fraction of the price a shop would charge, I've laid SOD for one of them........I've really helped these people out so I really don't think they'll steal from my box, even the ones that DON'T know me have heard-tell of me enough that I think they'd have enough respect for me not to steal from my box.... Wow, that was really irrelevant, but I guess I just wanted to express upon you how AWESOME this particular location of mine is (Neener Neener?) 

Also, where are you guys getting your York Peppermint Patties so cheap?  From what I've seen they're somewhat expensive, and I believe I've read some things on here implying you guys are buying them for a few pennies a piece?  

I buy my Yorks at BJs mostly. If BJs is running low then I go to Sams Club. Right now a 175 ct box of Yorks is $11.99 plus sales tax. My cost is about 7.4 cents per unit after tax. I am also a "gold" member at BJs which gives me 2% back on all purchases (except gasoline and propane).

If I remember correctly, you are not near any wholesale clubs right? If I were you, I would drive the 100 miles each way to a club if it meant a savings of 40% or more. You can always buy some other items you may need for the house so that the trip feels mote worthwhile. Take your wife or girlfriend (not both at the same time!) to dinner or something to. Make a fun little monthly roadtrip out of it.

The shelf life on the boxes I am buying right now are good until 7/15. Thats pretty good. You should have no shelf life issues. If you go, make sure you buy MORE than you need. Also, you can call ahead and have them set X number of boxes aside. If I were making a lengthy commute I would be sure to do that.

I see no issue with trying multiple pricing. Just be aware that the location you mentioned is probably not the best test subject since they know you so well. Your best test case would be a location that hardly knows you. Once you start to really grow, it becomes impossible to build strong relationships with every location.

Good luck!

You are right, I am about 100 miles from any of the stores like costco or sam's club, I'm not sure I've ever heard of BJ's but I'm guessing its a similar type of store.   That is a good point about not using my Mom's work as a test subject, I was mostly trying to impress upon everyone how awesome of a location I landed, from the sounds of it, great locations are pretty rare. but I didn't really think of it in terms of it not being such a good test subject.   I'm really hoping I can maintain a close relationship with most of the customers of my boxes, and realistically I think I can for a while until I start growing outside my area, and then like you say, it'll probably be next to impossible or at the very least, not cost effective to waste the time trying to do so.     I'm really curious about doing york peppermint patties at places like dr's waiting rooms, places where theft is likely to be higher, but at the same time, less repeat customers and potentially higher sales due to the higher foot traffic, but I don't need the questions I have answered here as I'm sure they're elsewhere in this forum, except for one that I haven't seen while browsing, is why people ONLY do york's in an honor box instead of mixing laffy taffy's and atomic fireballs and stuff like that in?  I'm sure its been done but from what I've read here mostly honor boxes are either the type that I currently have with chips and pastries and crackers, or York peppermint patties....  I'm curious if anyone has any idea of why that might be a BAD idea to mix other similarly priced goods in with the Yorks?     By the way GH, I was sorry to read about you closing your locating service.     Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! 

Our honor box route started bringing in more money when we got creative on products.  Adding sports drinks, smaller candy and stuff.  We keep the main box at 1.00.  If they had a frig.  we stocked it with sports drinks (that did not compete with the current vendor) each one we put our price on the side with marker.  

We did that so people would see who was drinking the stuff in case we continued with a shortage on the products.  The business then took off in another direction.  They would pay us to deliver drinks, office supplies  (like a coffee service) or businesses near buy would call and order.  Next thing you knew we purchased a larger vehicle.

We are in the process of creating a website with our product delivery menu in certain zip codes.

Our honor box route started bringing in more money when we got creative on products.  Adding sports drinks, smaller candy and stuff.  We keep the main box at 1.00.  If they had a frig.  we stocked it with sports drinks (that did not compete with the current vendor) each one we put our price on the side with marker.  

We did that so people would see who was drinking the stuff in case we continued with a shortage on the products.  The business then took off in another direction.  They would pay us to deliver drinks, office supplies  (like a coffee service) or businesses near buy would call and order.  Next thing you knew we purchased a larger vehicle.

We are in the process of creating a website with our product delivery menu in certain zip codes.

I do like the idea of writing $1.00 right on the side of the bottle, that's interesting that you went from an honor box to delivering office supplies, how has that been working for you?  how long ago was it that you started doing that? 

• 5 months later...

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I don't get on the forum much...but always enjoy it when I do.  We delivered both honor box and office supplies.  It worked out very well then we got a offer to purchase the route and had to say yes...

Archived