Coin Mech & DBV Installation

PowerVendor

I want to replace several coin mechanisms on location instead of taking the units back to the shop to work on them.  I know the smooth round head carriage bolts that come with most new coin mechs are the really secure because nobody can put a tool on the screw head from outside the coin door and remove your precious coin mech or bill validator. The carriage bolts are nice - I guess - because the heads don't spin on the face of the coin mech and bill validators.  But.... THAT WHICH MAKES THEM SECURE IS WHAT MAKES THEM A PAIN IN THE @SS TO REPLACE, ESPECIALLY ON LOCATION!!  With little clearance inside the coin doors between the mechs and bill validator, you're stuck turning the nut with needle nose pliers 1/16 turn for the length of a 35mm bolt ---  that stinks!  FOREVER ! ! 

Is there a bolt you guys use that is still secure and a lot operator friendly?  Maybe a carriage bolt with a  button head or something? Or another style bolt totally different?

post-4331-0-09582000-1416753721_thumb.png

Look for bolts that have a hex key insert inside the bolt head that allows you to turn it with a hex key.

If you have any recommended vendors, that would be awesome.  I assume that with a hex key hole, you don't use the carriage bolt because the head won't spin?  Then you're just talking about a hex head bolt?  Those should be a whole lot easier to find than a round head carriage bolt that's 4 mm x 35 mm.

Its not that difficult taking the nuts off with a nut driver. You just take the stacker off the bill unit.

Takes me like a minute or 2 to take one off.

Sometimes the new toy soldiers have that lock tight glue on them and you have to hold the head of the screw with needle nose. 

I just use a socket with a long extension.  Not even a deep socket.  Maybe your machines are set up different than mine.  Really easy to install and remove DBA and coin mechs.

You guys have given me hope......... Off to Harbor Freight (yea...chinese tools!) tomorrow to buy a socket extension set.  Thanks!

In my "drill bag" I have long deep socket (pink one on harbor freight deep well socket set,not "kit" but just sockets) and long drill extension bout 8" and its 1/4 drive. Takes seconds to remove coin mechs and bill heads.

Remember you don't take bottom two nuts off carridge bolts( or most times just threaded studs on faceplate) but just loosen the bottom two nuts all the way to back of threads. Take top two off and just hinge top of DBA back and pick up, Now when you put new DBA on you can just "hook" onto bottom two bolts/nuts and hinge back in, speeds u up about 30 seconds cause your not fiddling trying to get those nuts started. Sure everybody who has changed more than one DBA does it like this but I'm awake and can't go back to sleep ,so bored and wasting time typing all this!

Cheaper option ( than my little Bosch 9.6V drill bag and sockets which I love) is advanced auto parts or autozone etc has a T-handle small socket set kit for like $5 and it comes with right socket for DBA and long t handle driver fits in there real nice. Been helped by this a time or two when delivering and forgot to get drill bag out of service van and put in box truck and end up 80 miles from home and have bad coin mech, got a set of those in every vehicles glove box.

Archived