Looks like I'm in a holding pattern.

Rocket

As eager as I am to get started it looks like I'm going to have to wait. My employer of 9 years has decided to take the company in a different direction & dissolve my department and is keeping me on as long as he can while I look for something else. I'm could run out & purchase my first two doubles right now but the smart thing to do is to wait. I have some irons in the fire & I'm not too worried, though. In the meantime I've been doing research, sourcing machines & product, working on my scripts & spreadsheets, etc. I've made it a point to work on it everyday. I guess this only gives me more time for development. Which may not be a bad thing. I'm comfortable with getting, setting up, & locating the machines, but the accounting end of it confusese a bit so that will be my focus for now.

Don't worry

Have been wanting to do this for a couple years now

Life had been getting in the way

Will be starting soon

I've been reading the forum in the meantime and scouring craigslist to get a feel

The more you read the more theoretical knowledge you get and the less the leanin g curve should be

As eager as I am to get started it looks like I'm going to have to wait. My employer of 9 years has decided to take the company in a different direction & dissolve my department and is keeping me on as long as he can while I look for something else. I'm could run out & purchase my first two doubles right now but the smart thing to do is to wait. I have some irons in the fire & I'm not too worried, though. In the meantime I've been doing research, sourcing machines & product, working on my scripts & spreadsheets, etc. I've made it a point to work on it everyday. I guess this only gives me more time for development. Which may not be a bad thing. I'm comfortable with getting, setting up, & locating the machines, but the accounting end of it confusese a bit so that will be my focus for now.

Don't sweat it.

I left my full time gig 4 month's ago.  It's a tough decision to give up a steady paycheck. With the downturn in the economy my sales job had been on a steady spiral downward.  People just aren't spending like they were 2 or 3 years ago.  Being in a straight commission position I watched my wages drop accordingly.  It put me in such a position that I really didn't have much to lose if I couldn't make it work. An argument at work about the amount of hours being worked was the last straw for me.  I decided if I couldn't please my employer by working 10-11 hours per day then it was time to get out.  It was a decision I had wrestled with for about the last year. I made changes to the household finances so that I could still live comfortably.  We traded 2 vehicles off and sold a third and bought 3 more different vehicles with $550 less in payments. The third we paid for in cash. My wife has become an extreme couponer, and that saves us a ton of money.  I went on a locating blitz and got almost all of my machines out.

My weak area is the accounting end of the business.  Not really the day to day stuff, but the taxes. Tax time is right around the corner and I'm concerned as to how it will pan out. I've been doing this for 5 years now, have a bookkeeper and a CPA and I'm still worried.One thing I know for sure now is that I am much happier doing bulk rather than selling truck parts.  And that means more to me than anything.  So, if I get in a little trouble in taxes, I'll just make the changes needed and drive on.  I love what I am doing.

Good luck!

As I told a buddy who just quit his job to do his own thing is once you cross over to the other side you will never want to go back. When I made the call to do vending fulltime years ago it was the best call I ever made. Vending has it's up and downs like any job but I wouldn't change a thing. You get out of this business what you put into it. Hope you cross over to the other side soon. Best of Luck!!!

If you put aside a little bit every check our money you get, stash it in an envelope marked investment, then when you have enough, buy equipment, then learn to locate it yourself, after a couple months, if you bought smart, you'll have enough for another.

Continue to put money in your envelope, before you know it, you'll have your route and working for yourself with the potential freedom to walk your own path.

It goes quicker than you think!

i attempted to go full time once when i was gonna buy a large route that i didnt know enough about and ended up passing and going back to work for "the man".  Im glad things worked out the way they did cause i feel better prepared with much more confidence now that im getting ready to leave the full time job again come the end of January.  

i attempted to go full time once when i was gonna buy a large route that i didnt know enough about and ended up passing and going back to work for "the man".  Im glad things worked out the way they did cause i feel better prepared with much more confidence now that im getting ready to leave the full time job again come the end of January.  

Glad to see you are regrouping and getting back on track mainor.  Half time adjustments and forward progress is always a good thing.

As Robert Plant once stated...

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.

Glad to hear things are working out for you buddy!

Too bad Had to put things on hold. I ordered a pizza on Friday & the delivery guy didn't have change for the tip. He just said don't worry about & ran off before I could come up with another solution. The next day my wife & I happened to be in the shopping center where the pizzeria is so I went in to leave a tip for the guy. He happened to be there working the counter. He thanked me & we got to talking. It turns out that it's his family's business & they just opened in June. It would have been the perfect opportunity to pitch putting a machine in. Plus, there's no one else in there yet. For now I'll just have to pop in now & then & build a rapport.

Too bad Had to put things on hold. I ordered a pizza on Friday & the delivery guy didn't have change for the tip. He just said don't worry about & ran off before I could come up with another solution. The next day my wife & I happened to be in the shopping center where the pizzeria is so I went in to leave a tip for the guy. He happened to be there working the counter. He thanked me & we got to talking. It turns out that it's his family's business & they just opened in June. It would have been the perfect opportunity to pitch putting a machine in. Plus, there's no one else in there yet. For now I'll just have to pop in now & then & build a rapport.

I can't see what's holding you back unless you're considering the possibility of relocating.  I don't do bulk, but it seems to me that you can get a decent machine for 40 bucks plus a few more dollars to stock it.  We're not talking about a huge investment here and you'll only need to service it once a month or less.  If you wait, somebody will grab that spot for sure.

I can't see what's holding you back unless you're considering the possibility of relocating. I don't do bulk, but it seems to me that you can get a decent machine for 40 bucks plus a few more dollars to stock it. We're not talking about a huge investment here and you'll only need to service it once a month or less. If you wait, somebody will grab that spot for sure.

I'm on the verge of getting laid off. My boss is being gracious enough to let me come in and help while I look for something else. I could literally walk in tomorrow only to have him tell me he can't afford to keep me on anymore. I've had a few interviews but haven't gotten any offers yet. My regular career is warehouse management and it's not exactly the best time of year to find a position. Most companies are only looking for low paid seasonal help at the moment. Believe me I want nothing more than to get things going. If I got a call and took an offer today I'd jump all over it, but I need to put my family first.

I'm on the verge of getting laid off. My boss is being gracious enough to let me come in and help while I look for something else. I could literally walk in tomorrow only to have him tell me he can't afford to keep me on anymore. I've had a few interviews but haven't gotten any offers yet. My regular career is warehouse management and it's not exactly the best time of year to find a position. Most companies are only looking for low paid seasonal help at the moment. Believe me I want nothing more than to get things going. If I got a call and took an offer today I'd jump all over it, but I need to put my family first.

Do you have a double head right now? If not, if you talked to the pizza place and see if he'll let you, then spend 40-50 to set up, then the income will pay for itself quickly and bring in income continually, but I do understand family first. 

I know some would rather put the money in and to work for the same reason that you don't want to.................

Do you have a double head right now? If not, if you talked to the pizza place and see if he'll let you, then spend 40-50 to set up, then the income will pay for itself quickly and bring in income continually, but I do understand family first.

I know some would rather put the money in and to work for the same reason that you don't want to.................

Nope, I've did a cost analysis on NW 60s & stands from various suppliers & have been keeping an eye out for good used ones but haven't made any purchases yet.

The good news is I took a job offer & start on Monday. But the other factor in all of this is we've been planning to move out of the area when the lease is up in April. I didn't mention it because i was going to either place the double anyway & either pull it when we move or build a route here anyway & drive down to service it. The question now is does it make sense? One or two doubles won't generate enough to build up a worthwhile route & I'm reluctant to locate anything just to move it. Thoughts anyone?

Nope, I've did a cost analysis on NW 60s & stands from various suppliers & have been keeping an eye out for good used ones but haven't made any purchases yet.

The good news is I took a job offer & start on Monday. But the other factor in all of this is we've been planning to move out of the area when the lease is up in April. I didn't mention it because i was going to either place the double anyway & either pull it when we move or build a route here anyway & drive down to service it. The question now is does it make sense? One or two doubles won't generate enough to build up a worthwhile route & I'm reluctant to locate anything just to move it. Thoughts anyone?

Just wait it out

Archived