My Missing Machines Are For Sale On Craigslist

dkochan

I was browsing Craig's List and noticed that two of my machines were listed for sale. These two machines "disappeared" after one of my locations went out of business. I plan on contacting the seller tomorrow.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/vgm/4793010845.html '> http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/vgm/4793010845.html

This is the 2nd set of my machines that I found on Craig's List.

Wow what happened there? Now that was auto correct go crazy Lol. You might get a prosecutor to buy your story, a jury, hard to say. It's pretty much up to how much you can intimidate, if you are dealing with a chronic thief talk will go no where. I would try it though you have nothing to lose at this point

But if he has the keys it might be enough to scare the crap out of the person trying to sell them. If it's a reasonable theif with a job and a family and something to lose, saying "Let's call the cops and have you explain how I have the keys to these" will make him fold like a cardtable.

All of my machines are numbered (painted on) I was able to recover some machines with that and I location sheet showing the machine and number and opened it with the keys. This was not from someone trying to sell the machines, but the new owners of the place after it had closed down and I could not track down the landlord

saw a ad on craigslist asking for shop owners if they had bulk machines that hadn't been ran in a few months he would come by and pay them 10.00 for them and place another one there if they wanted one.

This is very interesting because someone here in Arizona is making the same offer, but he appears to be local to our area.

Many location owners or managers think the machines are not serviced regularly, mainly because they may not be the one there when you service. I have had them say I havent seen you for many months when I was there at 30 days month after month.

The way I deal with this now is to have a small form in the machine showing the last service date. Its not going to stop someone from grabbing your machine if the business closes but at least they will know the machine is not abandoned.

That was the ad I was referring to - The one in Phoenix

Okay.  That is probably just a one-off local ad then.  I saw it and thought that the guy is pretty brazen to offer that, but I do know that bulk machines often get abandoned, as do vending machines sometimes, like the mechanical turn knob machines. 

• 2 weeks later...

So there's gotta be a good trip report by now. What happened?

I have been busy servicing my route and retrieving equipment from locations that are closing. I plan on meeting this guy on Saturday to get my equipment. I give a trip report this weekend.

Maybe I'm just a jerk and tired of people taking crap that's not theirs but this is what guns are for.

As a gun-owner and a ccw advocate, I hate to hear of anyone using firearms in irresponsible ways.

I can't think of how a gun could be used responsibly to get this guy's vending machines back.

The equipment has already been taken.

The owner is in contact with those in possession of said equipment.

And the owner is prepared to contact the police should the equipment not be returned upon proof of ownership being provided.

Should the owner be attacked, then we are no longer talking about getting his equipment back, but rather, we would be talking about defending oneself against personal harm.

Your comment almost sounds like you would be using your firearm on the offensive in order to get the equipment back.

That would be vigilantism. And that is most certainly NOT "what guns are for".

How does your post apply to the original posters current situation?

As a gun-owner and a ccw advocate, I hate to hear of anyone using firearms in irresponsible ways.

I can't think of how a gun could be used responsibly to get this guy's vending machines back.

Should the owner be attacked, then we are no longer talking about getting his equipment back, but rather, we would be talking about defending oneself against personal harm.

Your comment almost sounds like you would be using your firearm on the offensive in order to get the equipment back.

That would be vigilantism. And that is most certainly NOT "what guns are for".

For sure a misuse of fire arms.

O.J. tried to do this in Vegas to "recover" some personal memorabilia.  How did that work out??!!

We all have had equipment stolen and that is very upsetting for sure.  But breaking the law to recover that equipment can get one into bigger hot water.  I had a location close down and the landlord refused to allow me access to my equipment.  Went to the police department and they told me that only a judge could grant access to the property to recover the equipment.  The officer advised me to NOT attempt to enter the property uninvited as I could be charged.  So I had to use the legal system.  Obtained a lawyer to write a letter to the landlord threatening legal action.  The tactic worked and I got my stuff back after 9 months.  It sucked to wait that long, but we don't live in the wild west any more.

Archived