New to this have a few question for the Pros!

ColbyB24

I'm probably one of the few on here that thinks the guy in the video has some valid points, but listening to him I get the impression he's only right by accident.  There is probably some truth to the fact that we are SLOWLY progressing toward becoming a cashless society, but where I differ from others is the timeline for that transition.  I think it'll be more like 40-60 years.  We'll reach a point bulk vending will face extinction if the US economy doesn't print and mass distribute a dollar coin.  But to me that's a secondary issue because the true pioneers and business leaders in this industry will adapt and create new technology when there is no other choice.  

What I picked up on watching the video is what he didn't say.  He never said his machines didn't make money.  He talked about what a pain in the A$$ they were and how he faced obstacle after obstacle.  He also never reveals what business he's doing now, he only encourages you to email him directly to find out more information about it.  I would bet this month's rent that his current business is some sort of tiered ponzi scheme and he has no interest in doing any real work at all.  

Which brings me to my next point.  When this guy on the video is talking about the bulk vending boom of the 80's, I think what he means to say is that the days of buying a biz-op, sitting on your a$$ and making rent with 70 candy machines are over.  For quite a few years, bulk business was so good you couldn't tell the difference between the hard working grinder that's out there hustling for every new buffet and laundromat that opens in a 200 mile radius vs. the guys that have no REAL interest in growing, developing relationships and forging partnerships.  Now you can.  The industry and economy have tightened down j-u-s-t enough that the days of deadbeats getting lucky are over.  Let's not confuse that with bulk vending being dead.  

There have been some great discussions on here about the merits of single GB vs. triple-candy vs. sticker and interactive racks vs.U-turns vs etc etc.  But something I don't see examined is the vendors themselves.  A route with quality equipment, sportsblasters, stickers, tats, scales and cranes with contracts and commissions and supplier relationships and a dress code, etc. - what kind of personality traits would it take to build that (or be willing to pony up the money to buy it and continue fostering it's growth).  

Now let's take a route of 70 triple candy machines for $17,799.99 with quality foot-traffic locations provided!!!  Earn $4,000 this month while you're sleeping!!!  We provide the machines and locations, you rake in the quarters!!!  What kind of personality trait is this going to attract?  I wonder how this route's buyer's motivation to succeed stacks up with the other guy?  

Note* If you're a triple candy guy I'm NOT calling you a lazy SOB, I happily have many candy triples myself.  I'm just saying in general, these will most likely attract very different types of people.  

Bulk vending is not dead, it's not even dying.  Heck, candy bulk isn't even dead if you stay smart and hungry.  What's dead is lazy vending, those are the folks that are screwed.  Personally I LOVE the video that guy made.  Vending is harder now than it ever has been - it has never looked LESS appealing than it does right now.  Shhhhhh!  My 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived