Would this work?

Rick

Should probably patent this before I throw it out there for all of the internet, :) but what if a scale manufacturer could create a cost effective way to affix a digital scale into the base of a bulk head and developed the ability to read the weight remotely.  Imagine having 1,000 single gumball machines and being able to read the weight in each of them in real time.  

You could even develop a software package sold in conjunction with it where the user could set a dollar amount to be alerted when it's dropped into a "Service Needed" queue.  Imagine no longer servicing your bulk route based on time, but only being alerted on the heads with $50+ (or the weight of your choosing) in them.  The weight (or dollar amount) would turn yellow when it hasn't changed for more than X hours and turn red when it hasn't changed in X+12 hours (indicating a jammed or broken coin mech).  

I know it's not cost feasible, but I can dream can't I?  

Should probably patent this before I throw it out there for all of the internet, :) but what if a scale manufacturer could create a cost effective way to affix a digital scale into the base of a bulk head and developed the ability to read the weight remotely.  Imagine having 1,000 single gumball machines and being able to read the weight in each of them in real time.  

You could even develop a software package sold in conjunction with it where the user could set a dollar amount to be alerted when it's dropped into a "Service Needed" queue.  Imagine no longer servicing your bulk route based on time, but only being alerted on the heads with $50+ (or the weight of your choosing) in them.  The weight (or dollar amount) would turn yellow when it hasn't changed for more than X hours and turn red when it hasn't changed in X+12 hours (indicating a jammed or broken coin mech).  

Not sure it would be more cost effective then current coin counters they already have for bulk machines. Just need more cost effective way to relay data remotely.

probably better with a microswitch

i agree with mainor, relay is a big problem,

and hardware cost as well.

Yeah, this is something that I heard about ten or so years ago through a guy I use to work for in this industry. He actually at one point tried to get it developed. Needless to say it never got off the ground. It would be nice especially on those long trip routes to have a dollar figure before making a long haul.

why would you need a scale?

a micro switch would accomplish mostly the same thing, only exception would be that the scale might catch a broken pawl causing free vends...

but isnot common enough to justify cost of scale

Now you need an outlet which is one of the biggest advantages to bulk vending - fits anywhere and no electricity.  Not to mention Wifi - those telemetry fees might eat you guys alive.

The nice thing about something like this if it was sold as a kit is that you could still bulk vend traditionally in places that don't have an outlet available.  I agree, the remote telemetry would be the biggest pricing hurdle.  

Archived