AMS combo evaporator freezing

was called today by the location saying drinks are not cold. got there and the evaporator was frozen solid with ice and the can drinks poped. I notice the condensor fan was running but the evap fan was not. i unplugged the compressor from inside the machine and plugged it back in.  At this time the evap fan works again. I have left the machine unplugged to defrost. Hours passed i have plugged machine back in but what could be wrong?

Evaporator fan must have run long enough to freeze soda's. It wouldn't be able to circulate the air to get that cold if it wasn't running. Did you check the temp? If the probe went out you would get an odd reading or no reading. I have found the refrigeration relay can stick either open or closed. If that happens the compressor will continue to run. I would check door switches and make sure they are working correctly. Even if it goes back to working I would also replace the refrigeration relay to be safe. They are a weak component easy to replace and not real expensive.  

Yes, as Roger said, the temp sensor and/or the compressor relay are bad.  If the temperature from the outside of the machine was higher than the actual temperature due to the frozen cans then you know the sensor is bad.  If the sensor gives a good accurate reading then your relay is stuck and won't allow the compressor to turn off.  You will probably have to defrost it and start it again to test the sensor. 

First is the probe installed in its mounting clip?

Next check the door switch for the evaporator fan. This fan should not run if the door is open.  After the fan is up to speed release the door switch the fan should coast for no less than 20 seconds. If it stops sooner the motor is failing and should be replaced.

Unplugging the compressor should have no affect on the evaporator fan as it is on a different circuit.

Another thing that had given me frozen evaporators is if someone has removed the evaporator coil and when they reinstalled it the 2 screws at the back of the coil were not installed. Those 2 screws are a real pain to install. But when they are missing some of the air can bypass the coil.

In general evaporator fan problems will not freeze the product, the evap coil becomes a block of ice.

Walta

Sounds like the door switch for the evaporator is failing.

If the fan runs while you restock the machine that is a bad thing as the fan will blow the cold dry air out of the machine and replace it with warm moist air. The extra moisture could freeze on the evap coil plus it is a lot more work for the refer unit.

If the compressor runs and the evaporator fan does not the evap can freeze up

Please note there are 2 different door switches 

Did you say you bought the machine new?

Have you cleaned the air screens for the refer unit?

Did you say the back of the machine was 6 inches from the wall?

Walta

The fan wasnt working at all at first. Its working normal still as of today. The phone tech said since the drinks were frozen the fan had to have been working to freeze the drinks. i bought the compressor relay but as of now its working .

Archived