Profit from combo machines

Just curious, how much do your combo snack/drink machines earn in profit? What is your average vends per day? Thanks!

In general, combo machines are best utilized in larger accounts where you have several machines to service.  A combo machine in the management breakroom is common.  Combo machines, almost without exception, will not hold enough product to be profitable by themselves but are no problem to service if you're already there cleaning up with your larger machines.  The best combo machine I ever had did about $60 a month in the management office of a large manufacturing facility that did about $1,500 a month with four other full sized machines so it's not like I made any special trips to service a $60 a month machine.  I have heard of combo machines doing north of $500 a month but the problem with this scenario is that they need restocking every two days which kind of defeats the purpose of having a vending machine.  If your combo machine is approaching $200 a month then it's time to consider some larger equipment.  I would avoid any smaller account that only wants a combo machine - you'll work yourself to death making any money at all.  See the pinned "Cost to Service" thread at the top of this forum.

The drink total the machine I'm looking at holds 164 snacks and 105 drinks. Most of the drink machines seem to hold around 200 drinks or so. I am a little confused why wouldn't a combo machine gain as much as a single vend machine? If you have both options doesn't it cause customers to often spend more on a snack and drink? So, are you saying you think you gain more profit with a single drink machine? How many drink machines are equivalent to a combo profit wise? For example, do 4 drink machines make the same as one combo machine? I don't get why a combo wouldn't do better because it had both options. I was going to put the machines in university and in office buildings with 150+ employees. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Hello vend girl

I have 20 combo machines and am about to purchase 20 more new ones for one large contract/ location.

My best combo does $500 a week turnover (refill twice a week) If I was to buy seperate drink and snack machines I would need to buy 40 machines to secure my new contract.

Everything in life has its pros and cons

Hello vend girl

I have 20 combo machines and am about to purchase 20 more new ones for one large contract/ location.

My best combo does $500 a week turnover (refill twice a week) If I was to buy seperate drink and snack machines I would need to buy 40 machines to secure my new contract.

$500 a week gross out of a combo machine and you only fill it twice a week?   :unsure:  What make and model is this machine? What type of location is this in? 

The drink total the machine I'm looking at holds 164 snacks and 105 drinks. Most of the drink machines seem to hold around 200 drinks or so. I am a little confused why wouldn't a combo machine gain as much as a single vend machine? If you have both options doesn't it cause customers to often spend more on a snack and drink? So, are you saying you think you gain more profit with a single drink machine? How many drink machines are equivalent to a combo profit wise? For example, do 4 drink machines make the same as one combo machine? I don't get why a combo wouldn't do better because it had both options. I was going to put the machines in university and in office buildings with 150+ employees. Thank you!

Well... upon reading your post, I was compelled to comment because you brought up numbers and crunching numbers is my specialty...

I googled "combo machine 164 snacks 105 drinks" and I got a link for a Seaga combo machine with those exact numbers.  You also said that most drink machines hold around 200 drinks... and that is just as misleading and... shall I say "incorrect."  First of all, those combo machines USUALLY either vend a mixed combination of cans and/or 16 oz bottles.  Some combo machines will vend 20 oz bottles but those units WILL cost more than a Seaga machine SHOULD cost you.  Now, assuming we are comparing a Seaga combo to a full-size soda or snack machine, I can easily compare the benefits of having full-size machines.. and things will get clear.

First, let's ASSUME that the Seaga combo will vend 16'9 oz bottles out of all of its selections.  At most, it will probably only vend 7 varieties of drinks.  And AT MOST, it will probably have a capacity of around 14 bottles per selection.. for a total of 98 bottles (and this is wishful thinking).  If this were 12 oz cans, the machine would probably hold no more than 18 cans per selection for a total of about 126 cans.  Again, this is assuming the HIGHEST capacities on these machines.  If this were 20 oz bottles, the overall capacity might be something like 12 bottles per selection for a grand total of maybe 84 bottles.  The TRUTH is that these machines are usually designed to vend either all cans or a mixture of cans and bottles, but usually not all bottles.  You'll probably be lucky to have 4 varieties of bottles and 3 varieties of cans, with the option of making it all cans-only.

Now, let's compare this to a VERY common machine that probably has a similar footprint - The Dixie Narco 501e.  The 20oz bottle capacity on a 501e is listed as 278 20 oz bottles, while the can capacity is listed at 471 cans.  That means that a 501e has at LEAST 3x the capacity that your combo machine has, while having a similar footprint.  The 501e also has 9 selections instead of 7, potentially increasing sales (and profit) by offering more varieties.  Instead of having a maximum capacity of maybe 18 cans in a single selection, one of the 8 NARROW selections on a 501e will hold about 48 cans.

Now, a snack machine is simply about 2x the capacity of the combo machine and 2x the variety.  Having 2x the variety should be enough of a selling point to explain how much BETTER a full-size snack machine can be.

We will forget about the benefits of having TWO validators and TWO coin mechs because that's kind of irrelevant at this point, but keep in mind that approximately 60% of your sales should be generated from soda... and a full-size soda will have roughly 3x the capacity of THAT combo machine... and a full-size snack will have twice the capacity and twice the variety.  All of this means MORE sales, MORE profit, LESS trip to restock, and LESS risk of getting kicked out.  But all of these benefits ONLY apply when you are comparing a combo machine to two full-size machines.  If space is an issue, and you can only fit one machine in that space, then a combo machine MIGHT be the way to go... but that better be a PART of a prime location where full-size equipment is housed.  I can promise you that I would NOT be running around servicing half-empty combo machines all day if I didn't have to (and I don't).  So if space is NOT an issue, you want the most variety and capacity you can get.  If you are referring to small accounts with few employees, then you're working hard for nothing.  There's no way to sugar coat it.  Combo machines are made for places where you need beverages AND snacks but you only have room for one machine.  Even then, there are better combo machines out there than Seaga, but I don't need to get into machine quality to make my point.

$500 a week gross out of a combo machine and you only fill it twice a week? :unsure: What make and model is this machine? What type of location is this in?

Hello RJT

It's a FAS1050+ with credit card reader. I have 140 cans - 70 bottles 100 chocolates - 50 snack - 35 chips. They are built in Italy and one of my most reliable models that I have.

Here is a picture of my machine

image_zps4luhoo6d.jpg

This machine is in a highrise office location with about 150 staff

In the US this would be a machine to avoid as there's horrible support for it here.  If you're in the EU then you're much better off with it there as you will get much better support.

Hello RJT

It's a FAS1050+ with credit card reader. I have 140 cans - 70 bottles 100 chocolates - 50 snack - 35 chips. They are built in Italy and one of my most reliable models that I have.

image_zps4luhoo6d.jpg

This machine is in a highrise office location with about 150 staf

I will not doubt your numbers and take your word for it but that is not typical for combo machines and not real sure why you don't have a 5 wide snack and a bev machine. With those type numbers you you increase sales and also cut down on service times. If their is no room then I understand your situation and dont blame you for doing it the way you are. It will be very difficult building an entire comapny around combo machines only and make a decent living without having a ton of accounts to service. Plus if I saw this thing in an account I thought was worthy and they had the room I would just offer them two full size machines with more selections and take the account. 

Getting parts for those things have to be pretty tough. If you are into doing combos why not go with a US based company like Crane, USI, AMS? 

Hello RJT

This machine is 5xsnack wide and 10xdrink wide. Floor space is also a problem there. I am in Australia and parts are not a issue.

I run combos as I need half the amount of machines to service my locations, but on the downside I need to service them twice as often. I'm not saying using them is a better way of operating, but it works for me. Another c

Hi PTP, Just as a note to others that machine is a five row wide just the angle of the photo is not showing the other row. It looks like you may be base in AUS/NZ from the prices and products in the machine. That may be why RJT is finding the numbers a bit high for a combo. I also have these machines and they are very good.. Normally fitted with NRI currenza 6 tube coin mech and  note reader. The fridge deck can be fully removed to be repaired and the machine can still run as ambient. Drop sensor, led lighting, metal key pad. A big plus with the machine is the door only needs to open 90deg to service but in saying all that I also have to agree with RJT. That site is too big for the machine and you could offer more and not service as much with full machines if there is room. I know we are a bit different down under and combos are the norm for a lot of sites. Going back to VENDGIRLS question. I work on the average of $50/55 per row in the machine and service every 7/8 days. That would mean a four row wide combo needs to take AUS$200/220 and hold 7/8 days.

post-2416-0-27831200-1433091611_thumb.jpgpost-2416-0-23779300-1433091748_thumb.jpgpost-2416-0-23779300-1433091748_thumb.jpg

That's a great looking, clean combo machine, PTP vending! Just out of curiosity, why have you chose to place only a combo machine and not 2 full size machines or an additional combo machine in such a prolific account?

Vend girl, I've used many different types of combo machines through the years. Currently the only combos on my route these days are USI's 3155, 3155B and 3516 models. These combos have 27 selections of snack items and 6 selections of beverages. The beverage side holds 50 cans or 25 16.9 oz bottles per selection. The snack side comes standard with 8 ct chip augers which I reconfigure as follows: shelf 1=8 ct, shelf 2=10 ct, shelf 3=10 ct, shelf 4=15 ct, shelf 5=candy, shelf 6=candy, shelf 7=8 and 10 ct. This way, if I restock the machine in 2 weeks, it won't be blown out. All of my combos are equipped with credit card readers, accept $1-20 and give dollar coins back in change.

I average around $75-150 of gross sales every 5-10 business days per combo. If I pull $100 from a combo, there will be 3 or 4 empty snack selections and 2 empty beverage selections. The most I ever pulled after 1 week of business was $305. The beverages were just about all gone and the snack side was half empty. I have a few accounts where I have 2 of these machines side by side or spread out, offering 54 snack selections and 12 beverage selections.

Hello RJT

image_zps4luhoo6d.jpg

Nice looking machine very modern, perfect for a office building where space is limited. I did a quick search to get more info on the machine, and your site showed up i think number 3 on google.. Nice looking site you got too..

Right now my best combo machines are grossing $600/month but only require service every 10-12 days. I acquired them with the locations from another operator that was retiring so I would like to eventually swap them out for two full sizes machines or at least a better combo than the Seaga but I'll wait till a recoup some of my investment first as the machines have been running without issues so far.

$500 a week gross out of a combo machine and you only fill it twice a week? 

Keep in mind that the average vend price for products in AUS/NZ is over double what it is in the US so a machine that is doing $500/wk would only be doing $200 to $250 in the US for the same amount of products/units sold .

Keep in mind that the average vend price for products in AUS/NZ is over double what it is in the US so a machine that is doing $500/wk would only be doing $200 to $250 in the US for the same amount of products/units sold .

Yep, didnt realize his location. That is the problem sometimes people say "I do do great and do this much" but actually not comparing apples to apples". :) 

Yep, didnt realize his location. That is the problem sometimes people say "I do do great and do this much" but actually not comparing apples to apples". :)

Very true... but no matter what country you come from a lemon is still a lemon  ;D

Are you importing your machines direct from Italy or buying from a local distributor... do you mind me asking how much you are paying for a "new" Fas 1050's?

Hello RJT

image_zps4luhoo6d.jpg

I think you maybe slightly out on some of your machine capacity figures... the Fas 1050 should only go 6x cans deep so on a 10x wide shelf you would have a total capacity of 60x cans (not 70) unless you are using 8oz (250ml) cans which will hold slightly more per coil.

What type of location is it... sounds like a call centre?

If you did have the space for 2x full size machines I would guess you would be doing closer to $800-1000 per week for this type of location.

What brand of credit card reader are you using on your machine/s?

Sorry for any confusion on revenue. Here in Aus everything is much more expensive. I purchase my FAS equipment from another vendor who imports them from Italy, about $9k for the 1050 after all expenses, cashless is from circumtec. I don't usually get accounts large enough for twin machines but I would use two large combos as they can be configured in any arrangements including all snack or all drink. Also if one jams people can still get both and if I loose the account they can go to two separate smaller accounts. You are right football champ only 6 deep. I just trialled a FAS900 with no chocolates or soft drinks just health products (could not get the account otherwise 200 staff) and changed all the drink coils to 7 deep.

If we had enough room I would l add another combo but the site doesn't want it.

image_zpsicg566gf.jpg

I purchase my FAS equipment from another vendor who imports them from Italy, about $9k for the 1050 after all expenses

I am sure that our American friends would have a heart attack having to pay $9K for a combo machine...  ;D

But I guess that it's not a bad price "Down Under" if it also includes coin mech, note reader & cashless system. I am sure you know that if you ordered direct yourself you would save more $$$ but sometimes it's easier to let someone else deal with that side.

I have seen them being sold in vending packages in AUS which average out to be around $11,440 per machine which makes what you pay for them a real bargain. 

I am sure that our American friends would have a heart attack having to pay $9K for a combo machine...  ;D

But I guess that it's not a bad price "Down Under" if it also includes coin mech, note reader & cashless system. I am sure you know that if you ordered direct yourself you would save more $$$ but sometimes it's easier to let someone else deal with that side.

I have seen them being sold in vending packages in AUS which average out to be around $11,440 per machine which makes what you pay for them a real bargain. 

Yep, people up here see that price tag and gag not realizing you're dealing with third world wompum down there. ;D   With the proper conversion, those prices are probably pretty resonable

Yep, people up here see that price tag and gag not realizing you're dealing with third world wompum down there. ;D   With the proper conversion, those prices are probably pretty resonable

You're right... but at least our beer don't taste like horse piss!  ;D  ;D  ;D

You're right... but at least or beer don't taste like horse piss!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Unlike you, I've never tasted horse piss so I have no frame of reference  ;D  ;D  ;D

Archived