Has anyone ever built their own stands?

TCandies

Something that would house 2 machines like A&A Global PO300s. I've been shopping around for pipe stands and I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. I own my own construction business and I'm sure I could figure something out. If someone has built their own stands successfully I'd love to know how it worked out for you. Pictures would be great! Thanks

Something that would house 2 machines like A&A Global PO300s. I've been shopping around for pipe stands and I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. I own my own construction business and I'm sure I could figure something out. If someone has built their own stands successfully I'd love to know how it worked out for you. Pictures would be great! Thanks

I've made plenty of home made stands.  I use a 15 " round base.  Put a landscape timber or 4 X 4" with 1 X 6 oak board on top.  I used cabinet screws and Gorilla glue. Paint color of choice. For a setup that uses 2 1" machines and a @" machine in the middle just use 2 pieces of the post.  Look pretty nice when done.  I line the bottom with outdoor carpet.

There are a few pictures in my member gallery section.

Liability issues come into play

I made some out of 3/4 inch rebar once for a big junk yard they were indestructible and fit right in, the only place they would fit in.

lol!  I have several big truck garages in the coal industry that I use 1/2" steel plate for the base and 5" square trailer axles for the upright. NW triple on top.  They look like crap now but are still excellent earners. Real tanks.

Liability issues come into play

Liability is always an issue.  The key is negligence.

I remember this topic coming up before also BouncyBalls, but can't find anything in the search either. The only posts I can remember were a few members making wooden stands, which isn't ideal for me.

I've made a stand for a NW60 out of a couple flanges, threaded pipe, and the base from an old industrial floor lamp. Looks and works fine, cost me basically nothing. Definitely strong enough to hold 2 machines no problem if the base were a bit heavier.

I'm now wanting to build a more heavy-duty stand for a northern beaver. Thinking I could get bigger pipe + flanges again but don't know where I could come up with a suitable base. Where are you getting your bases from Hillbilly? Looked through your galleries and couldn't tell from your pics which stands were 'home made'... Beaver wants more $$ for a new stand than I paid for the machine so I'm open to ideas also.

I remember this topic coming up before also BouncyBalls, but can't find anything in the search either. The only posts I can remember were a few members making wooden stands, which isn't ideal for me.

I've made a stand for a NW60 out of a couple flanges, threaded pipe, and the base from an old industrial floor lamp. Looks and works fine, cost me basically nothing. Definitely strong enough to hold 2 machines no problem if the base were a bit heavier.

I'm now wanting to build a more heavy-duty stand for a northern beaver. Thinking I could get bigger pipe + flanges again but don't know where I could come up with a suitable base. Where are you getting your bases from Hillbilly? Looked through your galleries and couldn't tell from your pics which stands were 'home made'... Beaver wants more $$ for a new stand than I paid for the machine so I'm open to ideas also.

The title of the picture is Mini Rack.  A NW80 along side a NW60.  I pick up the rounds at Lowes when I get coupons in the mail.

There is a vendor around here that just buys a section of 1" pipe with a 1" tee.  He then turns the pipe upside down and puts it in a plastic flower pot and fills with concrete.  Once dry he cuts a piece of outdoor carpet to lat on top of the concrete.  Then just attaches a flange and a painted board to set his machines on.  They are all over town.

I built a stand for a specialty application, recently.  I walked into one of my bulk locations (a grocery store) last year, only to find my crappy plastic Tomi machines (part of my route purchase) and my sticker/tattoo machines turned sideways in a narrow opening between the ice machine and the Coinstar machine.  My separate novelty bouncy ball machine was moved across the aisle, next to a clothes rack, with clothes crowding it.  Turned out, they had gotten a second Red Box movie machine, which evidently makes more money for them, and squeezed my space down by half.  So, I asked the store manager if I could make do with the 31"-wide space that was left, and he agreed.  I didn't want to lose any of my vending capacity, so I went searching for racks that would cram a lot of machines into a narrow space.  I did find a fancy-looking, tall, rotating rack at Northwestern, but it was too expensive to suit me.  

So I designed my own stand and welded it out of 1" EMT electrical conduit (with which I have some experience as a do-it-yourselfer and hobbyist).  I wound up with three Northwestern Super 60's on the bottom, the old sticker/tattoo machines in the middle, and three Super 80's on top.  I built in a little step on the bottom, in front, with an aluminum diamond plate tread, in case the Super 80's were too tall for my shortest customers.  The store manager was really happy with it, because it looks a lot better than those ugly Tomi machines did, and it fit into the narrow space perfectly.  

I confess, I was concerned with liability, as Havending mentioned, but I designed and built the thing to be very stout and stable.  It does not flex like some of the cheaper manufactured racks do.  And I'm insured.  

NewBulkRack

Wonder if you could use microphone stand since they are sturdy and affordable ($15-$20). You would have to modify top of stand in order to mount candy machine and/or double mount.

Just a thought...

See link below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018TAITA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002PAW6AU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WCTS8MP2ZGVTAY6JK51

I built a stand for a specialty application, recently.  I walked into one of my bulk locations (a grocery store) last year, only to find my crappy plastic Tomi machines (part of my route purchase) and my sticker/tattoo machines turned sideways in a narrow opening between the ice machine and the Coinstar machine.  My separate novelty bouncy ball machine was moved across the aisle, next to a clothes rack, with clothes crowding it.  Turned out, they had gotten a second Red Box movie machine, which evidently makes more money for them, and squeezed my space down by half.  So, I asked the store manager if I could make do with the 31"-wide space that was left, and he agreed.  I didn't want to lose any of my vending capacity, so I went searching for racks that would cram a lot of machines into a narrow space.  I did find a fancy-looking, tall, rotating rack at Northwestern, but it was too expensive to suit me.  

So I designed my own stand and welded it out of 1" EMT electrical conduit (with which I have some experience as a do-it-yourselfer and hobbyist).  I wound up with three Northwestern Super 60's on the bottom, the old sticker/tattoo machines in the middle, and three Super 80's on top.  I built in a little step on the bottom, in front, with an aluminum diamond plate tread, in case the Super 80's were too tall for my shortest customers.  The store manager was really happy with it, because it looks a lot better than those ugly Tomi machines did, and it fit into the narrow space perfectly.  

I confess, I was concerned with liability, as Havending mentioned, but I designed and built the thing to be very stout and stable.  It does not flex like some of the cheaper manufactured racks do.  And I'm insured.  

Last time I checked, for insurance to cover an incident with equipment, it had to have and engineer stamp with it and plans that were approved. But, I could be wrong. I only quoted yours because you mentioned being insured! LOL

For me personally, I would rather not take the chance on liability. A wrecking yard, scrap yard, and similar I get, but regular everyday locations I wouldn't take the chance. I have very little, but don't want to give it all up! LOL! 

For me, if I needed stands bad enough, I would buy cheap machines like Vline with a thinner plate. It looks like Beaver has gone to lighter bases like that as well?

Don't get me wrong, I am no where near the experience that is offering advice on this subject! Just what comes to mind.

Well, if engineering stamps are required on stands, I'm screwed, anyway.  And so are a lot of other vendors, I'd guess. I have a variety of stands and racks, some of which appear commercially manufactured, and some of which do not.  But how would I know, since I bought an existing route?  For the most part, the stands that appear to be built by local welders (including myself) are better designed, better made, stronger, and stabler than the manufactured, bolt-together ones. What's more, the insurance company has lists and photos of all my equipment, so if they don't like something, they should tell me before a potential claim arises.  

I built a stand for a specialty application, recently. I walked into one of my bulk locations (a grocery store) last year, only to find my crappy plastic Tomi machines (part of my route purchase) and my sticker/tattoo machines turned sideways in a narrow opening between the ice machine and the Coinstar machine. My separate novelty bouncy ball machine was moved across the aisle, next to a clothes rack, with clothes crowding it. Turned out, they had gotten a second Red Box movie machine, which evidently makes more money for them, and squeezed my space down by half. So, I asked the store manager if I could make do with the 31"-wide space that was left, and he agreed. I didn't want to lose any of my vending capacity, so I went searching for racks that would cram a lot of machines into a narrow space. I did find a fancy-looking, tall, rotating rack at Northwestern, but it was too expensive to suit me.

So I designed my own stand and welded it out of 1" EMT electrical conduit (with which I have some experience as a do-it-yourselfer and hobbyist). I wound up with three Northwestern Super 60's on the bottom, the old sticker/tattoo machines in the middle, and three Super 80's on top. I built in a little step on the bottom, in front, with an aluminum diamond plate tread, in case the Super 80's were too tall for my shortest customers. The store manager was really happy with it, because it looks a lot better than those ugly Tomi machines did, and it fit into the narrow space perfectly.

I confess, I was concerned with liability, as Havending mentioned, but I designed and built the thing to be very stout and stable. It does not flex like some of the cheaper manufactured racks do. And I'm insured.

Wow! That looks wonderful, great job!

I considered making my own stands early on.

Decided against it and glad I did.

The money I would have saved would not have been worth the time spent.

Can you make a stand cheap?

Yes. But, it probably won't look as professional as the real deal if you spend so little on material.

Can you make a professional looking stand cheap?

Yes. But, probably won't be very durable. Quality material is expensive. If your homemade stand looks like a pro stand but didn't cost much to make, you probably sacrificed some strength/durability.

Can you make a professional looking stand that is as durable as real vending stands?

Yes. But, it will cost you more to make than it would to buy.

Or it will save you only a very little when you factor in the cost of your time.

Manufactures are buying quality material in amounts you and I would not be able to manage.

We are not likely going to make a comparable stand for less even when you factor in shipping.

Your mileage may vary -- this has been my experience on the matter.

You can get nice step stands 4 way 0r 5 way 60 bucks. 7 and 9 way for 65 bucks.

Where it's that? AA was 86? Eagle sideless is close to that though. Is that sided?

Where it's that? AA was 86? Eagle sideless is close to that though. Is that sided?

Yes sided. The source is not popular on TVF so that's why I didn't name. If I mentioned the source this thread woukd be hijacked with negative comments.

Yes sided. The source is not popular on TVF so that's why I didn't name. If I mentioned the source this thread woukd be hijacked with negative comments.

Can you pm me or text me it? Thanks

Archived