Funding TVF!

rodney69

Ok, so we need to fund TVF to make it self supporting. There isn't much left that needs to be raised, but it needs to be be on a continuous cycle so that TVF is self supporting not just a month or 2, but self supporting.

This thread is started to bring the opportunity to the community to do it. It will remain a free site, so that's out. This is to brain storm and include everyone. Steve has done a great job of keeping it going this far and now needs for it to fund itself.

It won't take a lot, and not looking to make extra, just to keep the wheels rolling. I have some ideas to start, but would like input.....

1. offer the suppliers section the opportunity to donate 5.00 a month or 50 a year to offer their services.

2. offer a space in an inconspicuous place for a credit company to place an ad on the site.

3. offer a space for adsence to place a add on the site.

4. charge everyone a small fee to post in the classifieds (not a great one I think.

So to this point we have had this info for free for 8 years. My though is that my fellow members know how big this is to everyone and will help with at least the ideas. There is lots of business men out there that are smarter than I am by far. 

So lets hear it!!!!!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id be open to a SMALL monthly/yearly fee. This site has actually saved me THOUSANDS of dollars and with that said, I haven't donated a dime yet. That will change.

I get the value of something like this. I am a really small fry fish in a massive ocean of big vendors, but the knowledge I have gained in so short a time, I really cant put a price to.

I could name 10-20-30 different people here who have helped me, now its my turn to help.

I know I saw once a place to make a donation, just need to find that again.

So if someone could point me in the right direction, this little guy will add his 2-1/2 cents to support something as important as this forum.

All great ideas Rodney69.

I would like to add a plea to those who make money off of this site but do not donate.

Think about the money this site has made for you. If you do business through this forum and don't have "supporter" under your profile picture, now would be a GREAT time to change that.

Id be open to a SMALL monthly/yearly fee. This site has actually saved me THOUSANDS of dollars and with that said, I haven't donated a dime yet. That will change.

I get the value of something like this. I am a really small fry fish in a massive ocean of big vendors, but the knowledge I have gained in so short a time, I really cant put a price to.

I could name 10-20-30 different people here who have helped me, now its my turn to help.

I know I saw once a place to make a donation, just need to find that again.

So if someone could point me in the right direction, this little guy will add his 2-1/2 cents to support something as important as this forum.

It's under the stop the ads link top right. That will be great, but the idea isn't for everyone to donate, although that will help.

I'm not saying everyone should pay. What I'm getting at is to set the site up so that it is self supporting. Yes, people that make money could pay. That's why I invited the businesses from the services area to bring their input.

No blind, I didn't buy the site. I'm just helping to keep the site from being sold. I think it's in the right hands personally and all stuff aside, I would rather help someone figure out a problem and volunteer to do it than to buy or whatever.

My goal is only to help figure out a way that will make it self supporting.

I feel it's a group decision instead of just implementing things. I don't have any say either, just helping.

I think if you rely on charity or donation the site will always fall short.  Provide a service people need (or already use) and either make it easier or cheaper.  Therein lies your sustainability.  The current problem TVF faces is that it doesn't provide a service (i.e. - a place for people to gather and talk about vending) that somebody else is more than willing to do for free.

The vision I have for this site (my vending eutopia) is this except for vending.  

Think The Vending Times, with community involvement blended with A&A global.  A one stop shop that could sell product and equipment but still offer the community of TVF with helpful on-site industry articles and order support.  There's your model.  

I'm not a mod, or any part of tvf. This is to help fix the issue. Doesn't anyone help for nothing any more? Or at least close to nothing?

I'm in buddy I would keep the site going.

We need to know what the cost are. Then create a plan.

Honestly, if we can put into motion something that generates 75 a month it would take care of the extra needed.

I think with someone always using the paid part of the selling section, maybe even 50-60 more than what's coming in.

Its not much, but over time it adds up.

No problem, just making sure we're on the same page.

My thought is, if your offering services or a product you pay a free to set up. Like 50 a year.

I know I would for a permanent spot like the others.

That's not the idea, but your welcome to. Its more the idea that the user doesn't have to. Its a design that would be self supporting.

Most of us can afford the extra, that's just the extra part that needs covered.

What we're trying to help do is make it SELF SUPPORTING, not short term.

$5.00 annual fee for anyone that logs in. If you are too cheap to pay $5/yr then go somewhere else.

This isn't the vision Rodney laid out in his original post, but I totally agree that this would be a reasonable investment all members should be happy to pay. I'd gladly pay $5/year for access to the site, and I'm sure most others would agree/follow suit. 

I would like the "New Members" section to remain free, though, imagine all the new people--myself included--that have been able to save themselves time, money and headaches by reading about what equipment to stay away from, biz-ops, scams, etc. while they're still kicking tires and thinking about getting into vending after reading some Craigslist ad that sounds too good to pass up. 

As far as any self-sustainable idea if we can get advertising spots sold then I couldn't see why that wouldn't be the simple option but I'm unaware what that takes to be done. 1,2, or 5 ads off to the side would bother me a bit. Even the pop ups. How hard is it to "x" out and move on.

$5.00 annual fee for anyone that logs in. If you are too cheap to pay $5/yr then go somewhere else.

I think if it's not free it deviates from Caserri's vision. There are other sites and that would make them more appealing. Just my thoughts.

On the ads, not tough to figure out, but I'm sure frustrating to some. A banner ad wouldn't be too bad I don't think.

Like mentioned above, we could sell space to loan companies.

Lots of options. I appreciate everyone taking time to pot their input in.

This is great!

what about a section in the forums, that allows access to hidden forums that people can pay to "see" for say $5-$10/year. Not the whole forum but more or less like a "gold" or "members" section for premium paid members? Could have a manuals list maybe? The possibilities are endless for a gold sections.

Archived