Advice on a Craigslist Deal

rachelb5499

Re: intro to the locations:

So if I'm reading that right, you have to buy the route before she'll show/run the locations with you?  If that's the case - no deal, unless you still feel it's a fair value for equipment alone.  

I'd counter with a willingness to sign a NDA, but the locations are not an incidental aspect of this deal.  If mom lost her heart for vending after dad passed away, that's code for "she knows she wasn't servicing as often as she should and probably wasn't doing the little things to care for the equipment or location.  If it's been 6 months since she ran the route and angry owners are giving me the boot I'd rather that happen with mom present before I've given her money so we can adjust the sale price accordingly.  

If you want to go forward with this then they need to give you the list of locations prior to meeting you or you paying a dime. Never buy a route sight unseen. Tell them you just want to go by and make sure the machines are on location before you commit to anything. If they refuse then it is a huge red flag. Also it would be smart to take someone with you anytime you meet someone on CL. Make sure several people know exactly where you are going as well.

Thanks, Guys. My roommate will be going with me, and my parents who live locally will also know where we are. Safety is always number 1!

It's funny that you guys read through the lines. I actually asked last night if I could get a list of the 9 locations so I could see where the machines were, what type of machines they were, etc. I was denied. The daughter told me that mom was not comfortable with that and THEN told me she would show me them when I bought it, etc. She then told me 2 of the 9 locations.  :wacko:

She basically has told me repeatedly that if I just "come and see," that that will help me make a decision....and said that her mom is an honorable, well known person in the community up there and would never "screw me." She basically wanted to put me "at ease" since I must be a distrusting person to be asking so many questions. In short, I told her that all of the questions were what any good business person would ask and that it was part of my evaluating process, etc. and that I didn't mean to make her or her mom "uncomfortable." I proceeded to outline more of my "process" that I had been looking the machines up that were for sale, etc. and that realistically, the 10 cent ford machines didn't really add anything to the value since surely I couldn't make any profit with them unless her mom could tell me otherwise/correct me. (Waiting for her to tell me she got gumballs for a penny each or SOMETHING. heh heh) And so I was taking that "lack of value" into consideration as well for the purchase price and evaluating it all.

Either the daughter just isn't "smart" or something or there's some game playing going on. She responded quickly, that she's seen the fords go for $199-$300 each on ebay and that she had someone lined up to buy those so if I didn't want them that was fine. (Now, since I've talked to you guys, I've fond out I MIGHT be able to sell the Fords online, but I also see some 99 cent auctions for them right now that aren't being bid on. I've also noticed that the only one bid on right now is at around $100, has the ford decal, looks to be in amazing condition, and appears to be older with a different king of vending CHUTE......Also, I know ebay is "funny." I have some auctions right now. Someone bid on my auction for ink toners when there were the same brand, color, etc. listed for 1/2 the price.....so now WHY did that happen?! I see it all the time. So I know selling on ebay is a "gamble" and there are costs and fees involved...not like I'm just going to pocket whatever they sell for. Anyway, I digress. I'm not "buying a business" as one of you pointed out to start trying to sell things on ebay. I'm buying a BULK VENDING BUSINESS where I intend to USE machines to vend and make a profit.)

So.....I did NOT respond to her email last night. I talked to my roommate/friend and decided....talking to the daughter is almost pointless. And, hey, I was mad. Why post an ad that says you MUST TAKE EVERYTHING and then tell me you have a buyer and try to convince me old machines are a gold mine?! We agreed, we'll go Friday...see if Mom is any different than daughter and go from there. No point in emailing daughter back.

This morning, I wake up to an email: "Morning, sorry if I got your hopes up with my last email. The folks I thought were interested in just the gumball machines were just blowing smoke. Mom said that is why it has to be all or nothing. I didn't mean to miss lead you."

Yup. GAME playing, I think. I have not responded. I hate to lose out on a good deal, but some of this just seems to weird. How hard is it to answer some basic questions like: which machines are posted at the 9 locations? (25 cent astros or 10 cent fords?) Do ALL of the Astro machines have stands? How many Ford machines ARE there?

I mean, really, are those questions really going to be answered when I have to paw through someone's garage? Then again, I've gotten good deals on Craigslist with people who just don't know what kind of information to put into an ad too. I've also come across idiots and run away screaming and not purchasing. heh heh

I haven't asked, but I've been surprised that daughter hasn't just asked if "mom" can call me or if I could call "mom." Every time, it's "come and see." My OWN thoughts and hesitations seem to constantly be confirmed by you guys.

Being super conservative, I think the money IS there in machines? (even though, yes, I don't want to just sell machines and break even). A minimum of 14 astros if sold at $50/each would be $700. Let's say I was able (after fees, etc) to only get $20/each Ford....it looks like from the photos, there could easily probably be at least 10 fords that's another $200. Plus whatever the "9 located" machines are if I had to sell them or pull them because they weren't making anything, etc. And THEN, there's IF they are being honest and the machines ARE making money...there's profit from that. AND the acquisition of "6 boxes of gumballs." Don't know what kind. Don't know how big. Don't know what the value is of them or where they came from. LOL Trying to be conservative, there's probably $900 worth of machines, and it seems almost certain, I'll "never" find a machine anywhere near my general vicinity/area for less than $100/each so this STILL could be a "good deal" even for machines otherwise, I'd be out already. 

If anyone has any other suggestions/things I should ask/push for/think about it, etc., PLEASE let me know. I have until Friday morning to decide whether or not to go see them. My gut (unless I see way more machines/stands, etc. than I'm thinking) is to offer $800-900 and walk away if they say no. They have my email address, and I have theirs. If they aren't successful in a month or two, they may go down in price in the long run just to be "done."

Thoughts everyone? THANKS for all your help!

Okay, update...some new photos and a smidge more info. I go to see them tomorrow in person. They have been quite clear...must be $1,100 for the purchase. Any last minute thoughts before I take the plunge or bail tomorrow? Here's the little bit more of details: "We have 7 double stand set ups and 6 singles for you to put in new locations. The candy machines are quater machines and the Ford gumball machines take dimes. There are 14 brand new 25 cent machines and many old machines and parts that you will get."

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/gallery/album/303-better-photos/

I also found someone selling 16 double headed (with stands) "uturn machines" for a total of $640. These are more than a 3 hour drive away for me, but they're clean and decent looking and "match." These look like 2 heads with one section each (I thought Uturns had more than one section per head, but I must be wrong). No route. Just machines. The one closer to me with older machines and more "work" ahead of me that I'm seeing tomorrow says it has those 9 locations, but I really don't know if I'll be able to push to see the locations ahead of time....if it were you....and you were gambling (Or JUST BUYING equipment to use OR resell), which "deal" would YOU buy? (I'm going to push as best I can with my great negotiator friend at my side to get a list of the locations where the machines are placed in the "closer deal," but would still love your input in the 8-10 hours!

Try to negotiate for less but if she won't take it just give her the $1100 and start your vending adventure. Make sure to get everything out of her garage, attic and anywhere else she or her husband had it stashed. Also make she knows this is for everything so if she finds more stuff later she should call you and you will come pick it up.

Holy SchnAp! Lol Well, I'm either smart or an idiot, but I bought it. It was practically an all day affair! WE had to go get boxes and pack everything...2 large truck with camper shell loads. 3 hours of driving round trip x2 today...my roomie and I are exhausted! Eating dinner before the long drive home.....update you guys and ask you oodles of questions later! Thanks for all your help so far!!!!

Holy SchnAp! Lol Well, I'm either smart or an idiot, but I bought it. It was practically an all day affair! WE had to go get boxes and pack everything...2 large truck with camper shell loads. 3 hours of driving round trip x2 today...my roomie and I are exhausted! Eating dinner before the long drive home.....update you guys and ask you oodles of questions later! Thanks for all your help so far!!!!

So, did you buy the first deal?  Or the second one?

Either way, congratulations and good luck!

Thanks, Guys! I bought the first deal. Let the adventure begin! (I think it began yesterday!  :blink: ) That was a lot of packing and traveling. I think today, I start figuring out what's what, cleaning the ford globes and matching them with bases, talking to musser about how to make them open without a key and changing them back to taking pennies instead of dimes and start listing! I immediately need space! :)

I'll admit right now that I only went to 2 of the "9 locations"....(photo attached). I realized there were more stands and machines at some of them than I was told just by going to 2 locations. I also did a test before I went to see the seller at the location and my roommate and I were shocked! It appeared the machines were set to vend the MAX!? 12 peanut m&m's for 25 cents, 24 plain m&m's for 25 cents, and a much larger gumball than expected in the ford globe machine for 10 cents! Immediately, I knew....(Ok definite room for growth and increasing profits with this route.) This part of the route had not been serviced it sounds like for at least 6 weeks so I wasn't thrilled that the machines weren't more empty for the time frame, but less machines I have to store until I can place them and some money coming in to pay off some of my purchase/investment. I DO have to say that I thought the older red/white head paired with the blue head was TERRIBLE for presentation's sake! My thought was to replace the red/white one with a new blue one so it matches...(Maybe replace the plain m&m's with the gumballs and remove the ford and sell it too.)

Thoughts on this? If no one cares how it looks, leave it? Or YES improve the hell out of it!? Or...WAIT see how much money you're making before you put nice machines in there! or???

Then, we meet with the sellers. "Mom" is 81 years old...starting to forget a few things but still seems sharp as a tack and just tired of the candy vending business. "I just want to quilt! That's my love!" 81 years old? I think she deserves to do what she wants by now.  ;D  We look at the garage..."geez, there's more here than I thought!" My roomie and I exchange, "OMG! What have we gotten ourselves into?!" looks. We start asking questions. Learning the machines (barely). The "daughter" is pushy, annoying, and trying to be a salesperson when she doesn't know ZIP! I'm counting....(hmmm, seems like there are at least 14 MORE "newish" square heads on these shelves if they all work, PLUS, the 14 new in boxes Oaks....and there's definitely at least 10 Ford Globe Machine heads. We ask about how many "doubles" are in the locations....get a confusing answer, but to my shock, at least 4-8 more "out there" plus singles and Ford Globe gumballs. We get into the gum...6.5 cases of Bubble King Assorted 1430 count.  (I'd already seen them at the 2 locations and thought, "Uhhh, people will pay a quarter for this size gumball! Why are these still a dime?!" Looked into the cost....looks like at least $300 in inventory. Then, we find out there are 11 locations, not 9. And that all but 3 locations had already been serviced so they were FULL of candy/gum. And, "Oh yeah, there's 9 of the 56 oz. peanut M&M bags." (Those cost $10.39 each at our local Costco so there's another $90 in inventory.)

Needless to say, I figured I was going to easily "break even" if I fell "flat on my face" in this new vending venture and was able to still sell everything so we "dove in."

I'll report back later with photos, etc. as I start to try to organize the hodge podge and make sense of things...match bases with plastic heads, etc. etc. BUT before I wire brush, clean, paint, etc. these stands that I brought home with me (It looks to me like they've already been painted before), from what I've seen online, it looks like at least 4 of these stands might be original ford stands?? (Is this something of value? Should I NOT paint them for any reason? SHOULD I sell them and "waste time" trying to make any money off of them, etc. or just USE them? ---I just know some people don't know what they have sometimes, and "ruin" something by doing things to it...if only they HADN'T cleaned it, painted it, replaced parts, etc. So just want to make sure I don't make a newbie mistake in that realm. Anyone know?)

I have hundreds of the old ford stands out. They are the best bill vending stand ever made. Paint them and put them out!

Sounds like you got a great deal. It will be a pain but sort all the stuff out and see how many complete machines uou can make, when it comes to the fords pm me and I will tell you how to modify them so you don't need a key to Go with them when you sell them

Thanks, Musser! I'm counting on you for the fords for sure! (changing them back to a penny and opening with screwdriver instead of a key.)

I had a feeling...using the stands would be better than trying to "sell for money." Just the shipping of these heavy suckers seems like it would make that a waste!

I believe the red and white machines are Atlas brand.  Don't forget that if you have the Ford key, I've seen them go for pretty good money as well.  You can also run an 8500 ct gumball and leave them at a dime.  You will make serious profit but dollars won't be that high.

Looks like a good score.

Thanks, Border. I'm wondering if they are komets as well. I hadn't heard of them since I'm such a newbie, but after your suggestion (and I realized the name was labeled onto a set of keys the previous owners gave us), and I did a search...I think they are, but not 100% sure. As soon as I deal with these 29 Fords (& then pull the Fords on the route), I'll have to piece together these random "komets?", see if they work, etc. and decide what to do with them. Then, onto the Oaks, Astros, painting stands AND getting out there and locating some! :)

Happy side note: the "daughter" text yesterday, she found 9 more stands! So next time I'm up that way, we're picking those up too. It sure would be nice if I had a garage!  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems time for a little update!  ;D

I WAS able to get 9 more ford gumball style stands from the seller a few days after our purchase and supposedly, taking everything the first time. Yay!

I also found out that there is just a "stand" at one of the customers where another vending machine is set up so need to grab that extra stand soon too.

We got ALL of the garaged Ford Globe Gumball machines unpacked, cleaned, lubricated, etc. and there were 28 GOOD ones and 1 that's broken, plus a few extra GLASS ford globes. Now that they are all setup, cleaned, and tested. I'm listing them on ebay...sold my first one a few days ago and have bids on my second one! Woo hoo! Gaining space and money to "pay off" my purchase already!

Today, I started pulling out and matching the Komet machines so that we can start cleaning, testing, etc. those so that I can either sell them or figure out what to do with THEM. It seems obvious they aren't worth as much as the ford globe machines so we'll see if I just try to store/use them or sell them for whatever I can get from them, etc.

Thanks for everyone's advice and for your specific help, Musser!

Opinions? >>>>>>>>>>

The komets are definitely in used shape...once they are clean, I'm pretty sure many of the bases could use paint jobs....if you were going to sell these, based on value, would you really re-paint them? (Personally, I would have to re-paint them if I was trying to place them. I'm all about presentation.)

With the Astros (oaks), I don't know how many yet (they are phase 3), many of them are used and look like they could use sprucing up/possibly painting...regarding THESE used ones and the NEW ones, would you keep them blue? (Obviously, I may not even find blue paint that matches to spruce up the used ones AND if I change the color....I've got to be really thorough for them to really turn out well, be the color I want, etc.) The only reasons I'm asking is: 1.) trying to match paint and the struggle THAT might be.... 2.) and more importantly to me, the blue is "nice" because it's different from most of the machines out there in my County, however, though they look nice, they also kind of blend in and don't "pop" and scream "Hey!!!! Gumballs, candy, vending over here!!!!!!" so I'm wondering if it's in my best interest before I get to the locating phase if I should work on changing their color since I'll be working on them to get them tip top anyway or if I should just spiff them up and not worry about color. Thoughts?

Most people don't know anything about vending machines, I would sell the komets one at a time just like the fords, list them as genuine vintage old time gumball machines (or candy if that's the wheel in them) you will still get three times what they are worth

Archived