I woke up to a 76% increase on bulk chocolate

BlindVending

I woke this morning to an email from my wholesale rep. Every item I vend saw an increase of the usual few dollars however PMMS and plain MM saw a whopping 76% price increase effective April 1st. I instantly ordered a truckload at the current price as those are 2 of my best selling items. However as the stock sells down I will not be offering these products anymore and don't feel like upgrading my mechs to .50 in the event sales dont stay the same.

How the hell does an increase of this size even happen?? Grrrr.

End rant

I woke this morning to an email from my wholesale rep. Every item I vend saw an increase of the usual few dollars however PMMS and plain MM saw a whopping 76% price increase effective April 1st. I instantly ordered a truckload at the current price as those are 2 of my best selling items. However as the stock sells down I will not be offering these products anymore and don't feel like upgrading my mechs to .50 in the event sales dont stay the same.

How the hell does an increase of this size even happen?? Grrrr.

End rant

A truck load of PMM?

Just another reason to move away from (or at least minimize) candy - especially chocolate products IMHO.

Maybe look at hard pressed candies (such as Runts or Bonz or Crazy Bananas, etc.) as an alternative.  A two head with Runts and Gumballs makes for a nice charity setup in adult locations, IMHO.

Just another reason to move away from (or at least minimize) candy - especially chocolate products IMHO.

Maybe look at hard pressed candies (such as Runts or Bonz or Crazy Bananas, etc.) as an alternative.  A two head with Runts and Gumballs makes for a nice charity setup in adult locations, IMHO.

Well said. But I'd substitute that chocolate with Skittles instead of Runts.

Runts have almost priced themselves out of my "regular stock" inventory.

In some of my locations Skittles sell better.

And with the price increase on Runts at Quill and the price drop on Skittles at Sams, I'm slowly changing my Runt locations to Skittles.

Well said. But I'd substitute that chocolate with Skittles instead of Runts.

Runts have almost priced themselves out of my "regular stock" inventory.

In some of my locations Skittles sell better.

And with the price increase on Runts at Quill and the price drop on Skittles at Sams, I'm slowly changing my Runt locations to Skittles.

Yea, the recent price increase with Runts has created another potential candy dilemma.  Been accessing other options as well.  And maybe Skittles is the answer moving forward.  Back in my younger vending days, when I sold multiple candies, Skittles usually outsold Runts.  My only problem with Skittles is that it can gum up a bit in the heat and humidity - of course not as bad as Mike's.  When I started started vending candy in 2000, Skittles were pretty hardy and never gummed-up.  But I believe there was a change to the ingredients/formulation around 2006 to 2007 and then I started to experience more gum-ups with Skittles in the hot and humid Florida weather.

Of course Texas weather is no picnic either in the summer time.  Just curious if you had many gum-ups with Skittles?

Still not sure if I want to go with the generic hard-pressed stuff or not.  Still searching for a supplier of Runts.  Been trying to connect with a local Vistar distributor to see if they will stock bulk.   Skittles does offer a brand name which can make a difference at the coin box.  But whatever I go with, I will vend one and only one (non-chocolate) candy product.

Have you checked Costco's price on PMM? When I vended them, Costco was the cheapest place to get them here in AB. Currently I only vend Skittles, and The Superstore Wholesale Club is the best price I have found for those

Costco is the cheapest for peanut mms. Unfortunately they don't sell regular m and ms. My previous price was $2 cheaper per bag than costco on pmms tho

I see, have you tried skittles? If i were to vend PMM's again I would do it with 50cent mechs.

I guess you could try and negotiate a better price from your supplier. If they arent willing to work with you, switch to just PMM's and buy from Costco. Im not a fan of big box stores, but when it comes to my business, I make decisions based on profit not politics.

Of course Texas weather is no picnic either in the summer time.  Just curious if you had many gum-ups with Skittles?

Interestingly enough, I have not.

And our summers do get mighty bad around here with heat and humidity.

The only "gum-up" issues I have had are candies gummed-up while in the bag.

I open a fresh bag and there may be a few clumps of various sizes in the bag...some can be really huge.

But, fortunately, I have had no issues with clumps or gump-ups once the candy is in the machine.

Archived