What's It Worth?

verdigirl

verdigirl each time I've answered posts similar to this, I've been run all over and told I was way wrong. First of all the rack is worth what YOU think its worth , not what others think. Each person, has a different outlook. I ,  myself , got used equipment 3-4 times in the last year at what I thought was a deal, only to realize in the end the deal wasn't so great. I learned a lot !  The equipment I got was Northwestern, & not very old. At first look , or with online pics , things looked ok, but  much different when you get into cleaning it up. The bases had paint flaking where the body rests on them , which after cleanup would be obvious in a location. The paint on the body looked good at first, but on cleanup I discovered it was blistering , as well on the hopper . Lids , all scratched up. Globes, faded. So, in reality, worthless. I see posts, where members powder coat their equipment & do an awesome job on it ! I look at time invested, plus materials. If you or anyone has available free time on their hands, refurbing , painting/powder coating, or polishing globes may be ok. Myself, I always have things that need attention .  The Northwestern Super 60's  are around 75.00 new , A&A slightly less so it just isn't worth the hassle. If your heart is set on checking deals like this out , Price the equipment new , check it out closely, and go from there. You also have to figure in your gas & car expenses on the deal.

verdigirl each time I've answered posts similar to this, I've been run all over and told I was way wrong. First of all the rack is worth what YOU think its worth , not what others think. Each person, has a different outlook. I ,  myself , got used equipment 3-4 times in the last year at what I thought was a deal, only to realize in the end the deal wasn't so great. I learned a lot !  The equipment I got was Northwestern, & not very old. At first look , or with online pics , things looked ok, but  much different when you get into cleaning it up. The bases had paint flaking where the body rests on them , which after cleanup would be obvious in a location. The paint on the body looked good at first, but on cleanup I discovered it was blistering , as well on the hopper . Lids , all scratched up. Globes, faded. So, in reality, worthless. I see posts, where members powder coat their equipment & do an awesome job on it ! I look at time invested, plus materials. If you or anyone has available free time on their hands, refurbing , painting/powder coating, or polishing globes may be ok. Myself, I always have things that need attention .  The Northwestern Super 60's  are around 75.00 new , A&A slightly less so it just isn't worth the hassle. If your heart is set on checking deals like this out , Price the equipment new , check it out closely, and go from there. You also have to figure in your gas & car expenses on the deal.

Thanks.  Looks like it needs alot of work.

verdigirl each time I've answered posts similar to this, I've been run all over and told I was way wrong. First of all the rack is worth what YOU think its worth , not what others think. Each person, has a different outlook. I , myself , got used equipment 3-4 times in the last year at what I thought was a deal, only to realize in the end the deal wasn't so great. I learned a lot ! The equipment I got was Northwestern, & not very old. At first look , or with online pics , things looked ok, but much different when you get into cleaning it up. The bases had paint flaking where the body rests on them , which after cleanup would be obvious in a location. The paint on the body looked good at first, but on cleanup I discovered it was blistering , as well on the hopper . Lids , all scratched up. Globes, faded. So, in reality, worthless. I see posts, where members powder coat their equipment & do an awesome job on it ! I look at time invested, plus materials. If you or anyone has available free time on their hands, refurbing , painting/powder coating, or polishing globes may be ok. Myself, I always have things that need attention . The Northwestern Super 60's are around 75.00 new , A&A slightly less so it just isn't worth the hassle. If your heart is set on checking deals like this out , Price the equipment new , check it out closely, and go from there. You also have to figure in your gas & car expenses on the deal.

Call a powder coating place, 15 each seems to be the norm here for powder coats

I'm in San Diego, mjacks also gets his for 15 and is in tx

200 bucks

Is fair for this set ip

I would offer $250 because it appears that this rack is being sold at a thrift store which means the seller got it for next to nothing. You probably have to replace the globes on the Super 60 machines, powder coat the machines and upgrade the coin mechs.

You guys get the base , body, hopper , & the lid power coated all for 15.00 ?

I used the same guy mjacks uses to do some routemasters triples, but I believe for Northwesterns or A&A's he charges about $7-8 per item. Might be more now, that was about a year ago.

OK         Lid

Hopper

Body

Base       is 4 items X 7.00 = 28.00   plus 10.50 globe your at 38.00 .   Plus the price you paid used , maybe 20.00 ? You now are at 58.00 plus gas and time running around to powder coat guy.     New is 60.00 to 75.00 so why the wasted time fussing with it ?

OK         Lid

Hopper

Body

Base       is 4 items X 7.00 = 28.00   plus 10.50 globe your at 38.00 .   Plus the price you paid used , maybe 20.00 ? You now are at 58.00 plus gas and time running around to powder coat guy.     New is 60.00 to 75.00 so why the wasted time fussing with it ?

15 for p/c

globes can be redone with nuvus tap

get them cheap

bout 20+ cost for each.

more for conversion.

Who preps the machines for powder coating ?

Sand blasting the item is included in the $7-8 per peice.

Having been through the process the guy did an awesome job. However I don't think it is worth it if you are buying used equipment unless you are buying a large lot of machines and you are getting them really cheap.

I feel it Is worth it if you already own the machine, it has been producing for a several years and you need to refurbish it instead of buying new.

I just took 4 machines down to a guy here local today 8 each including blasting. He only does powder coat.

Wouldn't be afraid to invest in bad paint machines any more for the right price. I need yellow machines for a particular chain of locations, so it works out.

Tuesday ,  I dug out a rack I bought awhile back on ebay which I thought was a great deal .  Popular name brand machines & stand. The machines in the pic on ebay looked like the machines in the pic on verdigirl's above post. A nice layer of dust on them. NEVER , NEVER , try to get an idea or buy.....machines covered in dust. It hides everything.  So after cleaning off the dust , I realized what a mess I bought . Corroded chrome stand  , rusted to the point the pitting is permanent  . Machines,  rusted & pitted and blistering paint. Fogged globes & plexi.  Thinking I was going to make this nice, I wasted 2/3 of my day and was unsuccessful.

Wednesday......  Prepped 3 new cranes which were delivered Monday. Removed the shipping materials , gave them a wipe down inside & out. Adjusted dip switches to my desired settings. Installed Mars validators on all 3 units , one of which I completely rebuilt at the time.  Filled neatly with plush .  Delivered & installed 2 of them on location , the 3rd one , I delivered today.

So, in  the original post, verdigirl wanted to know what the rack was worth?  My Wednesday was far more productive than my Tuesday. Time.......is a valuable resource. Which  , on Tuesday , I wasted a lot. Time is money , plain & simple. I wasted 125.00 on that 5 way , plus gas & time to pick it up , then another 2/3 of a day . I don't mean to ramble on and on here, but when I sit & think , I could have been locating that 2/3 of a day Tuesday , and got maybe a location , 2 or even 3 in the wasted time. Not to mention when you take that nice shiny NEW rack in the location , how professional you look , and how happy the location owner is with you. If someone should come around with a nice shiny decent rack , at 1/3 or maybe 1/2 the price of new , I will take it , but im done chasing the "deals" that aren't really deals after you figure everything in.  Finally to those who take pride in their craftsmanship doing things the hard way sandblasting , powder coating , and polishing plastics, if you enjoy it , please don't be offended by my rant. I have seen pics on this forum of some of the work done, and was very impressed, its just not for me.

Archived