Best Candies for a Newbie

mflan1913

Starting up a new route with 2 machines.  Each as three wheels, one has a gumball wheel.  Wondering what the best candies are.  I have heard that you should stick to hard candies because peanut M&Ms are expensive and get sticky.  Gumballs seem to have a very high margin.  What kind of monthly revenue can I expect on average?

Depends what enviroment the machines are in. Gumballs and harder candy like skittles , or pressed candy(bonz etc) hold up in pretty much any enviroment. Peanut mm's, and mike and ikes/ hot tamales dont hold up well in hot humid enviroments. In the beginners mega thread post, there is alot of valuable info on product selection. I recommend reading everything. Hope that helps

SKITTLES! You can buy them in small quantities at Sams, so your not stuck with a lot of product. They out sell other candy by a long shot too. I run away screaming from anything chocolate or with peanuts.

Yeah GB are still king. Should be your go to in every account.

I will assume 2 things, your not paying commission and the machine is in air conditioned area so spoilage should be very rare.

All my triples start with Peanut M&M's, gumballs and Skittles just for the simple fact that I can stop by Sams grab some candy and go check my machines.

I see how it does over the first couple months and switch candies as needed. Other candies I may switch to are hot tamales, plain M&M's, Reese's. Agin because my local SAMs carries them. I do have several with runts but have been slowly switching them out.

If the primary customer of your machine are the employees of the business then I ask what they want.

Vendors will debate all day long if it is worth vending a specific candy because of its margin but at the end of the day every vendors situation is different. Some pay taxes some don't, some do this on the side and for some it's a full time job, some pay for insurance some don't, etc. you as a vendor/business owner you have to know your numbers and decide what your time and effort are worth.

and of it's over 80 out there.

don't put in anything the ants might like.

Little tip about preventing ants from getting into your machines. Slather petroleum jelly all the way around the top of your candy stand post just below where it meets the machine. Ants and other pests won't cross the jelly. Someone told me about this trick years ago after I had several ant issues and it has worked like a charm for me. 

Lots of guys seem to buy at Sam's Club. Is there any advantage to buying online or is the shpping cost too high?

I haven't found candy less expensive anywhere else for the quantities I buy.

I think some guys can get gumballs cheaper because they buy a full pallet but I'm no where near that.

I have to pass Sams to check any of my machines so it's just routine to buy what I think I need when I start running my route. Also means less candy sitting around my house that can be a target for my teenager and friends.

Lots of guys seem to buy at Sam's Club.  Is there any advantage to buying online or is the shpping cost too high?

Unless your buying a pallet of 250lbs or more, there is little worth shipping. There are too many resources all over the US. Costco is becoming the exception. You can't buy anything there except Pmm, mm, m and i, and Hot tamale. That's all they sell!

To supplement, I buy some from Vistar.com because they have a warehouse in most states. If you can't drive there or order enough for them to deliver (750.00 worth), then they will ship it to you after you set it up with them. 

Sam's club or Sam's club.com has a huge selection! I actually buy from them online because it makes it worth it. I don't have a Sam's club for 200 mi. So for me it's hard to get skittles, but, here shortly I will be buying over 250lbs of stuff that I need shipped, so I can have that added if I have the right supplier.

Just some idea's.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for all the same info.

I have a lot of hispanics around here, do they like the Hot Tomales pretty well? What else do they go for?

If you order stuff from Sam's, will they ship it to the store for free?

Archived