Outdoors Beverage and Snack

It's a covered area from sun, rain and snow but it is still outside. Are any units capable of this? The area had cameras pointed at it so security isn't an issue. Thanks.

I'd go with this one  http://www.amequipmentsales.com/amsoutsider.htm  Almost any soda machine will be ratesd for outside use (with the exception of many USI models)

If the machine will be completely protected from any moisture and they don't hose off the patio or sidewalk then you can use any snack outside.  You might want a chiller on or in it though so you can sell chocolate year round.  I have some chillers available if you need one added to the top of a machine.

I have read about adding a chiller to snack machines, but I only know anything about stock factory equipment. What are the requirements for installing aftermarket chillers, and are they effective/cool evenly/cycle reasonably?

The top mounted chillers are pretty reliable if you keep them clean.  The drop the machine temperature 20 to 25 degrees as long as it's not in direct sun and depending on the ambient conditions.  You need to cut two holes for airflow and then a drain hose drains condensation off the top of the machine. 

I have a number of outdoor rated drink machines in breezeways and under permanent canopies, and those, of course, are fine. However, how far do any of you guys go in placing indoor snack or frozen equipment in such conditions? Do you have indoor equipment in breezeways or under porches or canopies with open sides? We get requests from time to time on adding snack and frozen (ice cream) to drink locations, and we have indoor rated equipment on hand.

Also, does anyone use desiccant cups or packs in snack machines in facilities or outdoor locations that are otherwise temperate? Specifically, I am thinking about indoor pool facilities or outdoor botanical garden or zoo facilities that may average 70 - 80 degrees, but have a constant humidity of 90 percent.

Can someone use indoor equipment outdoors? Yes. Should any operate indoor rated equipment outdoors? Heck NO.

If anyone ever gets electrocuted a manslaughter charge would not be out of line.

Sure you can add a chiller to any machine and not have a rust problem if the humidity is under 15%.

If the dew point is higher than the temp inside the machine rust will be a big problem.

Walta

I absolutely, agree, Walta. I think we would all agree that an indoor machine tucked 30 feet under the roof of a loading dock - against the back wall - would be fine. Most of us would probably agree that it would not be fine to have that same machine right next to the open dock bay. My question is: How far do people here go along that side wall (hypothetically or for reals) toward the open bay?

Would you place an indoor snack under a hard canopy protected from rain on all sides by at least five feet? Ten feet?

What does UL 'indoor use only' mean? An indoor rated machine 20 feet from a pool at an indoor swimming facility with high humidity seems riskier than an indoor machine in a well-drained hard roof breezeway. I am not arguing for argument's sake; we have many requests and proposals like this on my desk right now. We are entering the 'It's summer, and I want cool, cold, and frozen snacks and drinks close to where it is hot' season down here. I do not play around with NEC or UL standards; I just want to make sure of the actual intent of the codes and testing standards. I also want to see what people on the forum do for themselves (or have seen others do). I was recently blown away by a revelation I read on NEC 400.8 and UL 817, so I guess I am questioning electrical rules and concepts to make sure I am safe, but, at the same time, not limited in my location choices and installs.

LB

The UL rating means it hasn't been approved by them to use outdoors.  I really don't think you have anything to worry about from the description of your location as long as no water can get to it.

I absolutely, agree, Walta. I think we would all agree that an indoor machine tucked 30 feet under the roof of a loading dock - against the back wall - would be fine. Most of us would probably agree that it would not be fine to have that same machine right next to the open dock bay. My question is: How far do people here go along that side wall (hypothetically or for reals) toward the open bay?

Would you place an indoor snack under a hard canopy protected from rain on all sides by at least five feet? Ten feet?

What does UL 'indoor use only' mean? An indoor rated machine 20 feet from a pool at an indoor swimming facility with high humidity seems riskier than an indoor machine in a well-drained hard roof breezeway. I am not arguing for argument's sake; we have many requests and proposals like this on my desk right now. We are entering the 'It's summer, and I want cool, cold, and frozen snacks and drinks close to where it is hot' season down here. I do not play around with NEC or UL standards; I just want to make sure of the actual intent of the codes and testing standards. I also want to see what people on the forum do for themselves (or have seen others do). I was recently blown away by a revelation I read on NEC 400.8 and UL 817, so I guess I am questioning electrical rules and concepts to make sure I am safe, but, at the same time, not limited in my location choices and installs.

LB

If this concerns you, then I'd look at getting some of those short GFI extension plugs for your machines.  It would seem to me that if these locations wanted this equipment bad enough they'd give you some space inside.  As an old electrician, I don't have much faith in the sanctity of UL Listing - I swear you could probably get a listing on a ham sandwich with enough money and time.  That said, you will have a liability issue if your machines are not rated for the locations where you place them.

Archived