What's A Route Worth?

BaneTrain

Hello Everyone, 

I am pretty new to the vending world and I'm filled with questions. I have tried starting a route in my area with little to no success; I've gotten a lot of maybes but no hard yes's, so I turned to Ebay and other online sites to buy a route that was somewhat near my area. I found one I really liked but it was 8 hours from me and would only work for me because I have a family member living in the area. It also only needed to be serviced every 12 weeks. The route consists of 10 accounts all in restaurants. There are (7) 5 way racks and (3) 4 way racks. Most of the machines are Northwestern and some are AA. The 5 ways consist of (2) 75 cent heads, (1) 50 cent head and (2) 25 cent heads while the 4 way racks consist of (1) 75 cent head (1) 50 cent head and (2) 25 cent heads. They are also including 2 shooting hoops with the route already on location. If I bought this route, I would have to buy my own locks for a total of $300. The price was originally $4200 but I made an offer of $3200 and that's when he started taking away things he originally was going to include. He said he would do my top offer of $3500 but would not fill the machines when I took over or give me any extra product. The claim was the route grossed $600-$800 after every service cycle which was 10 weeks for him. I would like to hear opinions on what everyone thinks it would be worth for everything? Also, would anyone have machines and or a route for sale near Charleston, WV?

Hello Everyone, 

I have tried starting a route in my area with little to no success

Not to sound harsh but if you cannot overcome your locating problem you should not be in the vending business. Better to find out now.

Hello Everyone, 

I have tried starting a route in my area with little to no success

Not to sound harsh but if you cannot overcome your locating problem you should not be in the vending business. Better to find out now.

I have only been out once to no more than a dozen locations. I doubt even Babe Ruth started hitting home runs his first couple at bats. 

Can you imagine driving 8 hours to fix a broken or jammed mech only to drive another 8 hours back..?

Yeah that was one of the problems I had with it. 

Too far away to be any use for you no matter what the price.

That's what I figured. If I had a family member in the area do it, might of made it better but still it's a lot to tie up so far away. 

Now follow up on those maybes and turn them into yeses

That's what I plan on doing. One of the responses I got was my "Employees are already fat enough" but he still said let me think on it. Haha. I read some posts on here about commission percentages. I had one place wanted 50% from the machine because the electronic machines paid 50. I thought I had just swallowed a baseball but it would of been the IDEAL location since it was a play center for kids and always had birthday parties etc.

It's totally a numbers game! As you do it, learn to read the managers and when to add in more about what catches their attention. Some will be money, cleanliness, quality of product (they'll feel their important and getting better toys, yes, this does happen), quality equipment (same), or charity.

It could be just service. 

I would do more reading though before you get to far. All of the racks that you mentioned, most of the price points will need to be updated now if not soon. 

It's totally a numbers game! As you do it, learn to read the managers and when to add in more about what catches their attention. Some will be money, cleanliness, quality of product (they'll feel their important and getting better toys, yes, this does happen), quality equipment (same), or charity.

I would do more reading though before you get to far. All of the racks that you mentioned, most of the price points will need to be updated now if not soon. 

biggest give away on what to watch is eyes, facial expressions, and body language.  Be more interested in the value they get out of it, and make sure to ask how their day is going. Don't rush right into business unless they seem in a hurry. Diffuse the situation before you start with your own posture, calm, confident, and listen.

That's what I plan on doing. One of the responses I got was my "Employees are already fat enough" but he still said let me think on it. Haha. I read some posts on here about commission percentages. I had one place wanted 50% from the machine because the electronic machines paid 50. I thought I had just swallowed a baseball but it would of been the IDEAL location since it was a play center for kids and always had birthday parties etc.

On that I would have said sure, of the net! Just explain there is product cost involved and you would be more than happy to do that off the net. But that's me. not everyone will do that. It works out to about 35-40%

biggest give away on what to watch is eyes, facial expressions, and body language.  Be more interested in the value they get out of it, and make sure to ask how their day is going. Don't rush right into business unless they seem in a hurry. Diffuse the situation before you start with your own posture, calm, confident, and listen.

I have definitely learned it is a numbers game! Also every situation will be different just by how you approach it. She only had one issue with them, she told me absolutely, zero, nada, gumballs. She was afraid it would get stuck to everything which I don't blame her. Would it be bad to go see her again if I already told her 25% and gave her my information to contact me?!  :mellow:

I have definitely learned it is a numbers game! Also every situation will be different just by how you approach it. She only had one issue with them, she told me absolutely, zero, nada, gumballs. She was afraid it would get stuck to everything which I don't blame her. Would it be bad to go see her again if I already told her 25% and gave her my information to contact me?! :mellow:

Offer jaw breakers instead.

Archived