How Long Do Skittles Last On Location

BaneTrain

until no one wants them anymore

Ha yeah hopefully that won't be the case. 

If they are not in direct sunlight they will last at least 8 months. More likely closer to a year.

That's what I was thinking. One is completely out of sunlight and the other is not directly in the sun. 

and no bugs or rodents want it either...

no really, you have to always check it for freshness,

you don't want to get a name as having stale or old product.

after you clean and fill and test the machine,

Try a sample vend and Eat it.

if you don't like it, no one else will.

also keep a note pad with use by dates too.

I have a card inside of my units that lists when they were filled up for the slower movers, though I've never had to pitch Skittles for expiring. It's a very tough candy, and barring direct sunlight or really hot temperatures, it'll last a year without any real deviation. Chocolate candies and even Mike and Ikes are more finicky than Skittles, so you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Also, don't be afraid to put sunscreen cards inside your machines that are getting sun- even indirect sun can wear at your candy if it's a slow spot. My cards of choice are those display cards that come in gum cases- they're gloss white on the back, and granted the machine is filled up pretty well, it's not too noticeable, at least on a rack. Good luck!

I have gotten ants in skittles.  They chewed on the outside coating so that up close, the candies looked like little cratered meteors.  They also secreted something that caused the candies to stick together into a blob.  Kind of a mess.....  Yea, keep them out of the direct sun.  Other than that they last a long time.

and no bugs or rodents want it either...

no really, you have to always check it for freshness,

you don't want to get a name as having stale or old product.

after you clean and fill and test the machine,

Try a sample vend and Eat it.

if you don't like it, no one else will.

also keep a note pad with use by dates too.

Ha ha I'd like to see a rodent try to get in a machine! I plan on doing the sample vend everytime I go. I love Skittles so if I don't approve, I know they are crap. I definitely will keep the dates, thanks for the tip!

I have a card inside of my units that lists when they were filled up for the slower movers, though I've never had to pitch Skittles for expiring. It's a very tough candy, and barring direct sunlight or really hot temperatures, it'll last a year without any real deviation. Chocolate candies and even Mike and Ikes are more finicky than Skittles, so you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Also, don't be afraid to put sunscreen cards inside your machines that are getting sun- even indirect sun can wear at your candy if it's a slow spot. My cards of choice are those display cards that come in gum cases- they're gloss white on the back, and granted the machine is filled up pretty well, it's not too noticeable, at least on a rack. Good luck!

I want to try and keep them in for a year before I pitch them. Two of the machines are in employee break rooms, so no sunlight what so ever. I was worried about a slow mover and the manager who watches me ask "Aren't you going to change those out" after only  a month or two there. I will definitely think about the sun cards! The other one I have is in a barber shop and I think it partially gets sun at a weird angle. Thanks for the tip!

I have gotten ants in skittles.  They chewed on the outside coating so that up close, the candies looked like little cratered meteors.  They also secreted something that caused the candies to stick together into a blob.  Kind of a mess.....  Yea, keep them out of the direct sun.  Other than that they last a long time.

Ohhh man, that's gross....lol. Did you have anyone complain to you about how they looked? I put vaseline on top of all the bases so hopefully no ants! 

Anyone ever try Chewy Spree in place of Skittles?  Any better (quarters) results or longer shelf life?  Just curious.

I had wondered about the Chewy Sprees as well, I have it listed as an option on my information sheet. Also seems like if there is demand, can't go wrong with the location life for runts!

Guys, for my third location, I was adjusting the candy wheel to the last notch and it was vending 10 Skittles, I moved it up one and then it vended 22!!! Is 10 Skittles for a quarter ok? I don't want people to feel jipped and not use it again.

You really can't go wrong with any kind of candy. Everyone loves candy. If it is really expensive there is a reason, it's because it moves faster!!!

Hey BB,  were you a Vendstar sales rep telemarketer at one time?   ^-^

Anyone ever try Chewy Spree in place of Skittles?  Any better (quarters) results or longer shelf life?  Just curious.

I use both and Skittles sell more by more than 50%. When you figure in cog, Skittles is still winner imo.

Guys, for my third location, I was adjusting the candy wheel to the last notch and it was vending 10 Skittles, I moved it up one and then it vended 22!!! Is 10 Skittles for a quarter ok? I don't want people to feel jipped and not use it again.

Well, that's how many I run- 10-14 per vend depending on the machine (drum vend wheels are less exact than standard vend wheels). Never had any issues with this practice.

I'd break it down like this- most people get Skittles out of the retail pouches you typically find in full-line vending machines (just the plain ones, not the king size). I don't remember exactly how many are in a bag for roughly a dollar, but I'd guesstimate around 40-50 pieces of candy. So, if you're selling 10 for a quarter, you are selling close to 1/4 a bag at the going rate for the whole pouch. As long as the machine is consistent in what it gives out, you should have no issues.

The other ones I have vend 12, so not much of a difference but that's what I figured. I think 52 are in a bag of skittles and might as well say you pay $1.25 for a pack at the gas station, so yes it is the going rate. It was constantly giving ten so no worries there. I just didn't want someone to not make the correlation that they are paying them same as the gas station packs and feel like they are getting a little for a lot. 

In my experience, MI goes bad the fastest.  Then HT.  Then PMM.  I've never had skittles go bad on me, and I've had them in some pretty slow locations before.  For super slow locations I've learned switching to a double head and doing pressed candy (like runts from quill) and a gumball (like nerd filled, which seem to last longer then a traditional gumball however it costs more) is the best strategy.

That's good, I am glad they don't! Right now I am sticking with Dubble Bubble and Skittles lol. Not many choices but easy to get and seem to have a  long life. I just hope they do well!

Archived