Preventing NW mechs from being ripped out

drseuss8347

I've recently have had a bunch of NW mechs ripped out from both super 60 and triple plays. I always make sure the latch is adjusted correctly. Keep in mind these machines are in bad areas. Any of you guys experience this and is there a specific way to prevent this from reoccurring?

But how can it come off with out being pryed or damaged heavily?

I know how.

It was posted here many years ago but removed because some members felt the tutorial was just too revealing. It's fairly simple and I found the process to be quite ingenious.

I started to say something but then decided not to because I wasn't going to mention it on an open forum and didn't want to PM 20 people.

The bottom line is that you can't use Northwesterns in these locations.

In an instance like that, what machine will with stand the abuse? Do you need to go to something like the " Strongbox"? Or Oak? Or is there a different line that is better? 

I started to say something but then decided not to because I wasn't going to mention it on an open forum and didn't want to PM 20 people.

The bottom line is that you can't use Northwesterns in these locations.

Yea. I didn't think about all the potential PM's I'd get before I posted that. Please don't ask me about it. If you don't know how it's done, learning how it's done will not prevent it from happening to you. The only way to prevent this is to stifle the information.

Never had it happen, I will have to think about this and figure it out, thieves are clever though and once a weakness is found it well always happen. The only easy solution I can think of is changing the shape of the latch so it cant be flipped up or adding a piece of metal under the bottom screw of the mech, you would need to do this with mech installed but would prevent removal

Never had it happen, I will have to think about this and figure it out, thieves are clever though and once a weakness is found it well always happen. The only easy solution I can think of is changing the shape of the latch so it cant be flipped up or adding a piece of metal under the bottom screw of the mech, you would need to do this with mech installed but would prevent removal

The NW triples that I have come with a slide bar on the latch.  It must be slid back and then you can raise it to get the mech out.

I just thought of a way to fix this problem and still use Northwesterns. Either use new style Triple Play coin mechs or mod your mechs to have the same latch mechanism. Unfortunately you can't just change the latch, you have to change the back plates also.

Parts needed:

T-109 mechanism lock latch. $1.00

T-109-1 mechanism latch lock spring .30c

3-614-25cDT back plate. $8.60

I had a problem similar to what you've all described (admittedly on an XYZ machine with NW mechs), though I finally solved it by using a sealant around the mech on the backside to "glue" it to the body of the unit. The location it was happening at went under a couple months later, but that seemed to do the trick for me.

Archived