The Right Way to start bulk candy vending

Candyguy

Hi guys

I want to introduce myself as I am a newbie planning on getting started in vending bulk candy. This seems like an awesome forum as I have read many good beginner threads on getting started in bulk candy vending. I'm kinda overwhelmed with equipment choices but the majority seem to say 1800, northwestern, beaver, and oak are the top manufacturers. I want your advice if you were starting from scratch like me what you would do for equipment. I want to build this business for the long haul, want reliable machines, and want parts to be easy to get and also I want the machines to have a nice looking appeal to them. I'm think I want a triple candy machine because I plan on vending 3 different types at each location. I'm going to start small with like 5-10 machines and build from there but I want to lay the foundation right. What's your advice?

Unless you are lucky to always find exceptional locations for every ten triple machines you put out only ONE will sell all three selections well, only TWO will sell two selections well and in the other 7 only one item will sell ( if it happens to be gum).

Start with single head gum machines, I would recommend oaks. Because: easiest to place, cheapest to buy. cheapest to fill, easiest to sell if you decide you don't like bulk vending.

Unless you are lucky to always find exceptional locations for every ten triple machines you put out only ONE will sell all three selections well, only TWO will sell two selections well and in the other 7 only one item will sell ( if it happens to be gum).

Start with single head gum machines, I would recommend oaks. Because: easiest to place, cheapest to buy. cheapest to fill, easiest to sell if you decide you don't like bulk vending.

Musser,

where do you get your oaks machines from? I just can not find any sellers online. Thanks!

Musser,

where do you get your oaks machines from? I just can not find any sellers online. Thanks!

Not to answer for Musser, but it's at oakmfg.com always buy direct! They had a sale on them.

• 4 weeks later...

The best way to get started in bulk candy vending is to sell toys out of a double. I won't even mess with candy unless a location requests it. Too much spoilage, too hard to control cost. For somebody just starting out, a double with toys will offer the best chance of success with minimal risk. You can put gumball in one head if you think edible product would work in a location.

Singles are a good choice, too. Just don't jump into candy right away. You'll lose money and get discouraged. Once I made the switch toys, I couldn't believe I ever messed with candy.

I am with you 100% shepherdsflock!  

The Right Way to start bulk candy vending = Don't sell Candy!

Well that may seem a bit extreme, but the multi-candy selection model has never really succeeded on a large scale.  This business can be easy to start if you keep it simple and limit your selections (single or doubles).  Start with just 3 products at most.  First, gumballs - assorted.  Second, toys - Fun Time Mix or Superballs.  Third, One AND ONLY ONE candy (if you really have to have some candy) - either a hard pressed candy or Skittles (no chocolate, no jelly beans and NEVER do nuts).  Only place the candy when absolutely necessary, such as a requirement to get the location in the first place or for an adults-only locations.

As said earlier in this thread, avoid triples (and quads) with multiple candy selections.

I know that is NOT what most noobs want to hear.  Question: What is the most common type of abandoned machines?  Answer: Triples and Quads loaded up with multiple candies.  That should tell you something right there.  Also, how many success stories are on this board from vendors who exclusively sell (multiple) candies.  Answer - ZERO!

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off on a tangent -- Does anybody know where to find Tomy Gacha Spare Parts? I'm looking for a coin mech.

I don't know that anyone is selling Gacha parts in the US anymore. Nothing outside the overpriced used market anyway. Beaver makes a conversion kit for the Gacha- and they're Beaver mechs so it's a one-time investment- that's what I'd do if I were you. Contact Beaver HERE. Good luck!

Also, how many success stories are on this board from vendors who exclusively sell (multiple) candies.  Answer - ZERO!

im curious since I am considering moving slowly towards mainly toys too, but didn't sweetstop get a pretty successful route with mainly triples selling candy? Granted he wasn't new. I have about 50 triples i'm slowly placing..but then again my area is swamped with toy racks..i'm happier picking up the small locations as a noob since i get less competition. But i'll emphasize I'm NEW lol 

im curious since I am considering moving slowly towards mainly toys too, but didn't sweetstop get a pretty successful route with mainly triples selling candy? Granted he wasn't new. I have about 50 triples i'm slowly placing..but then again my area is swamped with toy racks..i'm happier picking up the small locations as a noob since i get less competition. But i'll emphasize I'm NEW lol 

Well, I certainly can't speak for other vendor's business ventures.  But historically speaking, triple (and quad) head candy vending is the least successful business model in bulk vending.  Bulk vending is not the same as full time snack vending.  The most common abandoned machines are triples and quads.  Why copy a business model where the vast majority fail at it?  And those that claim to be successful at that model, are they earning full time money, part time money or extra beer money?  Candy cost are too high now and will get even higher in the future.

Makes sense, my biggest issue is dispensing amounts and consistency. That's why I agree with, and am trying to gravitate twoards, capsules and gumballs because its more easily controlled. Do you mean all candy will get even higher, or just chocolate? Because I did plan on still keeping my 50 or so candy triples as I transition..but i haven't been around long enough to notice a trend or anything in pricing..

Makes sense, my biggest issue is dispensing amounts and consistency. That's why I agree with, and am trying to gravitate twoards, capsules and gumballs because its more easily controlled. Do you mean all candy will get even higher, or just chocolate? Because I did plan on still keeping my 50 or so candy triples as I transition..but i haven't been around long enough to notice a trend or anything in pricing..

Candy of all stripes has continued to climb in price. It's the nature of the economy. Chocolate's the one that's climbed the fastest though, and it's the first one to reach that point where it's no longer profitable. It's certainly not the last bulk candy that will reach that point.

One day, the price of bulk candy is going to climb too high to be sold for a quarter- and just like the penny, nickel, and dime machines that came before, all the 25-cent machines will be by-and-large obsolete and unusable. While we all hope that day is far away, one way or another it is coming.

As candy prices move up, the only candy with a reasonable margin (at a quarter) will be generic hard pressed candy.  IMHO, bulk candy will not transition to 50 cents as well as toys did.  Personally, I would sell off all the triple candy machines and use the proceeds to buy Oaks or Northwestern.  Those machines will give you the ability to vend any products you want at the price point you want.

Archived