Questions on machine placement

Shadaw

So I am planning on putting some gumball machines on route in iowa. The only questions I have

Do you have to be a business to put a machine on location if your splitting the profit with the owner?

Can you run a business as a sole proprietorship without needing to file paperwork to the moon and back?

and

Where does one find reasonably priced gumball machines?

Running your business as a SP/DL is pretty much the only way to go, at least in my opinion. Unless you're running tons of expensive gear or managing all sorts of employees, I can't really see a reason to get an LLC or anything like that, especially to start out with.

Get a sellers permit and business license, as well as any other permits you may need to operate in your state. The southern US typically has more regulation than in the north. Check what machines you have and whether they need additional things like insurance, health inspections, or state inspections, as that will vary almost town to town in some places.

After that, you are golden. Paperwork is usually heaviest at tax time, and when your forms come due for business/sellers which are usually annual.

As for where to get gumball machines, that is a vast, open ended question. What kind of gumball machines are you looking for? Are you buying new or seeking out used? What sort of locations are you looking to get? Where are you located to get the best shipping deals, etc. All best asked in the bulk vending section, and don't be afraid to go through the "Mega Thread" at the top- a lot of good stuff in there.

sorry for the delayed response.

I am planning a very very small operation right now. around 1 - 2 machines on route making me money. im hoping to get that done within the next 20 days or so.

I already own one gumball machine paid 30 bucks for it and its apparently set up for M&M's or candy. I'll need to look into the legalitys of dispensing food from it locally and getting the permits but i don't see any real reason why I can't pull this off.

-edit-

Also I already have two locations. one is asking for a toy vending machine. the other wants gumballs/candy.

sorry for the delayed response.

I am planning a very very small operation right now. around 1 - 2 machines on route making me money. im hoping to get that done within the next 20 days or so.

I already own one gumball machine paid 30 bucks for it and its apparently set up for M&M's or candy. I'll need to look into the legalitys of dispensing food from it locally and getting the permits but i don't see any real reason why I can't pull this off.

-edit-

Also I already have two locations. one is asking for a toy vending machine. the other wants gumballs/candy.

Check the local health department- though most don't require inspections on bulk gear, at least not around here. That would be your only "hurdle" I can foresee. So long as you have a sellers permit, you can begin immediately, and get your "doing business as" set up later, as that only comes to play when tax time comes around. I wouldn't worry about insurance on a route under 10 machines strong, especially bulk gear like that.

Hop on over to the bulk section, and post pics of what you have, and describe what you want. The gang and I will be happy to point you in the right direction to get what you need.

Archived