Internet Access Vending Machine (UK)

PerformaVending

A friend of mine sent me this screenshot of what I believe is a Tumblr post. I attempted to find the original, but came up empty, so this is all I've got on it.

3238be0c785e05cdc38c4bb2eabb0c15.png

A machine that "sells" WIFI access... I wonder if that makes any money over there, or could make  any money over here.

I just thought it was neat, so I thought I'd share.

I used to use these things waaaaay back in the early 2000's. I was on the road a lot back then and found them in truckstops. This was way before smartphones and laptops were probably out of my price range at the time.

I don't remember how much they were probably something like $1 for 5 mins.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I used to use these things waaaaay back in the early 2000's. I was on the road a lot back then and found them in truckstops. This was way before smartphones and laptops were probably out of my price range at the time.

I don't remember how much they were probably something like $1 for 5 mins.

That would make more sense as to why they aren't around as much anymore. Thanks for the insight sir!

You know, after I posted that I realized that what I used wasn't really a "WiFi vendor" but more of an internet kiosk.

Two completely different things. :(

You know, after I posted that I realized that what I used wasn't really a "WiFi vendor" but more of an internet kiosk.

Two completely different things. :(

Well they do pretty much the same thing. Not sure how the vendor secures the WIFI from getting poached by other non-paying customers, but that's the only X-factor I see here.

• 3 weeks later...

Vendynamics was doing something like this about 5 years ago when wifi wasn't so readily available and you would install router in sticker machine and charge peoples credit card when they want access right on your device. I dont think this idea would work for that reason, if you just had router with password and you insert money for password then as soon as you had it you could give to everybody.. Now if it is wired internet then you could have switch to disconnect after time was out.

Archived