Suppliers not having product in stock......again

TWvend

I hate bad mouthing someone or a company, but I just cant help it anymore. This is an open forum from what I understand and so I am sharing what I actually encounter.  Monday, I called my rep at A&A to order a 7 way rack with 4 pm elites .25 mechs. and was told the .25 mechs are on back order until around Oct 21st. Was also told my order would then ship 2-3 weeks later & to expect it Nov 15-20th. Really? 2 months to get a rack? I have a new location on the line. I also promised them new equipment . My rep did suggest going with the PO 89's, but I've been getting Elites, plus have NW super 60's so I would rather keeps things the same.  I cant help but wonder , some of you larger ops who may have several hundred PN-95's or Elites and discover your running low on .25 mechs what you do now? Also , I cant understand when ordering equipment you get no idea when your going to get it. In April I ordered a 5 way and was told 2 weeks, had it 3 days later. When it arrived, I ordered another 5 way & it took 6 weeks ! I'm trying to figure how you guys go locating, then have to wait 6-8 weeks for equipment.

I have experienced this with Northwestern for the last couple years.  I just received a $4k order for Super 80's and 60's that I ordered at the end of July.  Took a while but better than it has been.  I knew going in that it would be slow so I kept my expectations low and ordered way before I knew I was going to need it and some extra for unexpected needs.

Bulk vending isn't exactly a big growing industry anymore so demand isn't driving innovation and competition.  

TWvend,

One of the biggest reasons for the delay is caused by not getting sufficient parts from overseas manufacturers. We frequently get containers full of parts where a large portion of them malfunction or have defects. Once we discover this, we have to go through channels and communicate with the manufacture, which can take some time even before we get them to start another batch for us. The process does not happen overnight, and I haven't discussed scheduling transportation, shipping time, unloading ( with the possibility of having something happen to the container ) , then shipping to the appropriate warehouse. Now it's in the warehouse and has to be unloaded and put away, where one lady assembles the mechs and frame, another puts the rest of the machines together and boxes them. And that's the assembly team in Maryland.

So if anything in the above list is delayed or altered it can very well mean an additional week or more added on to your expected ETA. Right now, I can walk out to the warehouse and see a stack of orders an inch thick; and that's a normal day. I would invite all to take a tour through the warehouse if they can. My advise is to try to order as early as possible, long before you need to install a new rack into the location. There is a long waiting list.

TWvend,

One of the biggest reasons for the delay is caused by not getting sufficient parts from overseas manufacturers. We frequently get containers full of parts where a large portion of them malfunction or have defects. Once we discover this, we have to go through channels and communicate with the manufacture, which can take some time even before we get them to start another batch for us. The process does not happen overnight, and I haven't discussed scheduling transportation, shipping time, unloading ( with the possibility of having something happen to the container ) , then shipping to the appropriate warehouse. Now it's in the warehouse and has to be unloaded and put away, where one lady assembles the mechs and frame, another puts the rest of the machines together and boxes them. And that's the assembly team in Maryland.

So if anything in the above list is delayed or altered it can very well mean an additional week or more added on to your expected ETA. Right now, I can walk out to the warehouse and see a stack of orders an inch thick; and that's a normal day. I would invite all to take a tour through the warehouse if they can. My advise is to try to order as early as possible, long before you need to install a new rack into the location. There is a long waiting list.

Do American-made parts still cost more when you factor in all the labor your folks spend scrambling for solutions, and the business you lose because of the unreliable delivery dates?

I encourage everyone that may be in the Baltimore are to visit A&A, and Cardinal, these people to a great job for the industry. A tip of the hat to both of them. I like other suppliers too, but this is sort of a A&A thread.

Bulk vending has gotten to be a very tough business. I can name a bunch of great suppliers that went out if business the past thirty years. The survivors exist because they have pared expenses and that includes excess inventory. Yes placing an order can be disappointing at times but it's the reality of survival in a very tough economy.

I would add that your relationship with your suppliers is every but as important as your relationship with your customers, they both can make or break you.

The industry had changed tremendously over the years. Long gone are the days of suppliers producing machines non stop. So as companies cut back operation hours and staff or began to import to offset cost it changes the game. Business have to pick and choose how to survive in tough times. As Musser said AA is a first class operation. Not perfect but over all they do a good job. I have been to AA many times last time I was there they had four pallets of po 89s being loaded up to go to a foreign country. And the Assembly team was steady building. The injection molding Machines were pumping out caps and tops filling bins that must hold hundreds of thousands. Truly amazing to see all the working parts. My advice would to keep a couple racks on hand because it does suck to grab a location and not be ready.

Since we're continuing to do so, I would assume yes, it would cost more. Why would we not source everything here if it were less expensive ?

I would pay more for American made anything.

Just saying.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

But would your customers, once you raise your vend prices ? Unfortunately, one of the major concerns is getting good products at lower prices. How often has that been a huge topic on this forum ? A great deal of things have to change before we could even think of sourcing American companies to produce novelties.  

Sure they would. Let's not forget we are talking about trinkets sold from a gumball machine. Not exactly the type of item that people comparison shop for and seek out the lowest price.

I can't agree. Not long ago, we were just criticized here for having higher prices, even though we haven't had a systematic price hike in years. And we always try to have lower vend priced items available because we always have a demand for it. We're selling more and more $.25 vend mechanisms opposed to $.50. Also, I can't tell you how many operators have told me that they tried to raise prices to $.50 and $1.00 in their machines and the next collection was a bust.

Well then your conclusions are understandable. I'm looking at it from a consumers perspective. I can't imagine the price point on a gumball machine item being a determining factor as to whether I make the purchase or not. I either want the item or I don't.

But I'm crazy like that. I live on the edge of life.

Regular gumballs and candy will probably stay at $.25 for a while. Unless they are specialty items like Nerds gumballs; where customers will pay extra for those. But I applaud you if you are successful at vending higher price points, especially if you're on the east coast.   

I can't agree. Not long ago, we were just criticized here for having higher prices, even though we haven't had a systematic price hike in years. And we always try to have lower vend priced items available because we always have a demand for it. We're selling more and more $.25 vend mechanisms opposed to $.50. Also, I can't tell you how many operators have told me that they tried to raise prices to $.50 and $1.00 in their machines and the next collection was a bust.

Very valid point. Many operators are going back to .25 one inch. They rather sell machines out than go for the extra margin. Got a bunch at .25 my self.

However, I still try to get my customers to put one higher vend item on their rack, if possible. Ideally, a seven way would have ( on the bottom ) candy, gum and a toy machine at $.25, then a toy machine at $.50. The top would have two $.50 toy and either a $.75 or a $1.00 toy machine. Depending on the item in the higher vends, it would sell well or drive business to the lower vend machines.   

Archived