going it alone or taking on an investor

mainor5251

Has anyone taken on an investor/silent partner and it ended up being a positive experience? I can continue to grow slowly maybe having to pass on an opportunity here and there but in the end I own business 100%. Taking on investor would mean giving up equity since investor is not interested in any type of loan model by itself. Plus would infuse 10-20k into the business and could most likely include a line of credit for future expansion. First thought is I would regret having a minority equity stake still on the books long after that initial investment usefulness. Knowing there could be a line of credit to continue to expand and upgrade makes the deal a little more attractive since the cost of decent amusement equipment is what it is. Thoughts or comments?

The only partnership agreements that I have seen work are we are one person finances the company 100%, and owns 100% of voting shares. Other partners are paid with phantom stock for reaching certain sales goals and profitability. There are agreed upon milestones where either partner can get out with a shotgun clause.

It would probably be a good exercise for you to put in writing why anyone would want to invest $20,000 into your business.... make sure to include how you plan on getting their money back, and how much they should expect to make.

I would love to read that post! I think we would all find a lot of value in it.

I don't like the idea of taking on a silent partner, once you can get your business on its feet losing the equity wouldn't be worth it, imo. I don't vend full time so my growth has been slow - I just try to re-invest the money that comes out of my machines into more equipment (I'm lucky to be in Canada doing $1/$2 vends not just quarters), rather than taking on debt to expand my route more quickly.

I'd also be interested to read what more experienced vendors would do if they had 20K to invest into their businesses

I hadn't even given it a thought until a friend approached me. The first thing I thought of were all the negatives and why not to do it but do see some advantages of the extra cash and line of credit. If I was an investor I don't think I would invest in a cash business unless it meant guaranteed payments but I'm not the investor here. Mulling it over til I see him on Thursday.

I think this is a situation where you should be the one looking for an investor, not one coming to you.  How would your friend even know that he would want to be in this business?  Unless you've shared a lot of information about your business with him he could only be looking at it as a cash business.  What does he want to hide in it?  Just some thoughts.

Partnerships do not work !  Repeat . Partnerships do not work!  Repeat.  Partnerships do not work !  If you need funds and/or line of credit and cant get it at the bank , and have an investor willing , figure out a fair interest rate and that's it. They are making interest on a loan , period . That person should have no say in or claim to the company whatsoever.

I'm relatively new to vending but 20+ years in small business, my advice. Don't. Ever. Never seen it work. If you're that desperate for 10k that its an opportunity that just can't be passed up find another way. Sell your car and buy a cheaper one, remortgage, personal loan or last resort get a credit card! Having said that if you can't afford it you can't afford it. Plough as much back as you can, borrow as a last resort, sell equity never.

Partnerships can work, but everything needs to be in writing.

One rule is that if both are working in the business, each job must be specified to only one person. Any time you have 2 or more people responsible for something, they each think the other person will do it.

A silent partner can be beneficial, if you set things up properly, and again rules put into writing. There are plenty of people who are perfectly happy investing, and getting a monthly check for a portion of the profits. You may never hear from those people as long as the money is flowing.

But you would want a way out for the both of you. If the investor wants out, you buy him out at a reduced rate. If you want him out, you buy him out at a premium.

The reason to use investors is to expand faster at little to no cost to you. It can take a while to start making a profit, but using investors can change that. They pay for the equipment, and you're making money from day one. 

You share in the profits, but you benefit more due to the work. If anything you pay yourself a wage, or a commission for all the work being done, before the profits are paid out.

But this is only one option for using investors. Another is to borrow money from them. This is a much simpler way to do business. They have a guaranteed return, though lower then if they were investors. Benefits are less work dealing with the finances, and a lower payout of the profits. Drawback is if the business fails, you still owe the money, where an investor would loose out with you. Private borrowing is only good if you can beat what you can get from a bank. There are many people who look to loan money because they can beat the return of a CD, and often have a fear of the stock market, or (if older) have a need for a more fixed income.

We shouldn't fear investors, or private money. There's a reason Facebook, Netflix, Apple, Google, and many other successful companies use investors. A lot of what I mentioned above comes from what I have learned in real estate investing. There's no reason why any of this can't be applied to vending. 

Archived