The power of Oak Locks

PerformaVending

Nearly 2 years ago, I purchased an OLD Oak 7-way rack- the bottom machines came off easy enough, and I was able to dismantle them easily enough. The Big Oaks have two locks per machine, and there's three of them. "Okay!" I though, I've got a super-duty drill, and these monster Irwin step drill bits that have conquered pretty much everything set before them. I'll have these open in no time.

MD_10232CB_STEP_DRL_NO2_Xp.jpg

Pictured: A very powerful (and expensive) drill bit.

Flash forward several hours, and the bits are actually flat on the tips. Whatever the hell these Oak locks were made of, it was tough. So, I put the rack aside, and conceded I'd come back later. I've "come back later" probably 20 times with a variety of drill bits, and worked until the bits broke or failed. Yesterday, after blunting yet another step bit, I looked over these machines, and I have yet to crack even ONE of the locks. To that end, I concede victory to the guys at Oak- they've made locks that absolutely will not fail no matter what. This is the best one- the farthest I've gotten before the bits failed.

d1b3723212493032e87515467f95b0da.jpg

I'm at my wits end with these units, and I have half a mind to just sell them off to the next vendor who thinks they're up for it. Before that, I figured I'd ask if there's some trick, some tool, some technique to get into Oaks- as I've pretty much exhausted all my options. I can whip through Northwestern and A&A locks with a step bit in ten minutes on a good day- so I'm just dumbfounded with how these Oak locks have gotten the best of me.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated!

Nearly 2 years ago, I purchased an OLD Oak 7-way rack- the bottom machines came off easy enough, and I was able to dismantle them easily enough. The Big Oaks have two locks per machine, and there's three of them. "Okay!" I though, I've got a super-duty drill, and these monster Irwin step drill bits that have conquered pretty much everything set before them. I'll have these open in no time.

MD_10232CB_STEP_DRL_NO2_Xp.jpg

Pictured: A very powerful (and expensive) drill bit.

Flash forward several hours, and the bits are actually flat on the tips. Whatever the hell these Oak locks were made of, it was tough. So, I put the rack aside, and conceded I'd come back later. I've "come back later" probably 20 times with a variety of drill bits, and worked until the bits broke or failed. Yesterday, after blunting yet another step bit, I looked over these machines, and I have yet to crack even ONE of the locks. To that end, I concede victory to the guys at Oak- they've made locks that absolutely will not fail no matter what. This is the best one- the farthest I've gotten before the bits failed.

d1b3723212493032e87515467f95b0da.jpg

I'm at my wits end with these units, and I have half a mind to just sell them off to the next vendor who thinks they're up for it. Before that, I figured I'd ask if there's some trick, some tool, some technique to get into Oaks- as I've pretty much exhausted all my options. I can whip through Northwestern and A&A locks with a step bit in ten minutes on a good day- so I'm just dumbfounded with how these Oak locks have gotten the best of me.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated!

Ruin a piece of the plexiglass by cutting a hole big enough to fit a Dremel tool through it.  Then cut the center rod.  Both pieces can be picked up at Lowes.  Take the old piece of plexiglass with you and have it cut to fit the flat panel Vista's  You always need some of them.

Archived