Is 25 cent candy bulk dying out?

AMD Snacks

I've been doing research for a few hours on here, and I notice a lot of the strong bulk candy posts and interests was back maybe 5 years ago. I know a lot of guys here are pro-capsule vending, and though I like candy myself, I dream of doing both with a majority of racks and capsule and a couple dozen candy locations.But is capsules just the future and candy is going to die? I don't see any recent posts about this subject, and since I haven't been around long enough to notice trends i'm just curious. I'm not too proud to jump on the capsule train and let the candy rest in peace..

Most of my racks (triple-head, quad, 2-over-3, etc.) have at least one head that vends Skittles. The gumballs and Skittles usually sell out before the toys do on a rack.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Most of my racks (triple-head, quad, 2-over-3, etc.) have at least one head that vends Skittles. The gumballs and Skittles usually sell out before the toys do on a rack.

So it seems you're still comfortable doing both? ...Since you have candy on your rack set up still i mean. Because I'm selling candy for sure, but I'm wondering if I still might be in say 5 years

I do some candy- restaurants, bars, and car shops like that will always do well. However, the difference in money from when I was doing strictly candy to when I migrated mostly to toys has been night and day.

25 cent candy, like 10 cent, nickel, and penny candy before it, will slowly fade away as the profit margin slips away. The price of PMM's and other chocolate candies has skyrocketed just in the last 5 years to levels most operators are unable to sustain. It's the nature of the beast, sad to say. I suppose there is a thin margin that could sustain some candy sales at 50 cents, but I don't see that ever becoming the norm.

I gotcha, but toy prices don't rise the same? I mean someone's got to be making these toys, i would think they would have to charge more to operate just like everyone else no? ohwell if it's night and day, then I definitely need to at least start dabbling in toys. Can you ever do charity for toys? or is that strictly commission?

I gotcha, but toy prices don't rise the same? I mean someone's got to be making these toys, i would think they would have to charge more to operate just like everyone else no? ohwell if it's night and day, then I definitely need to at least start dabbling in toys. Can you ever do charity for toys? or is that strictly commission?

Well, toys vary in cost by type, manufacturer, weight, shipping distance, etc. Most 1" toys will fetch 50 cents, while most if not all 2" I see these days is on the move to 75 cents or higher. The profit margin is considerably better, and there's no shelf life to worry about.

I had a bouncy ball machine in a charity spot once, but sales were poor. I don't think it's impossible to do charity toys, but if you're doing toys with a charity sticker, that's a calling card to any of your competitors to hit up the loc with a commission deal to try to take it over. In my mind at least, a double with toys in it and an NCCS sticker on it is an easy mark for a 4-5 way commission rack in it's place. If it's an op I know I'll leave them alone, otherwise though, it's just business.

That's my take on it. The easiest way to "dabble" in toys are bouncy balls. You can run 27mm BB's out of a stock gumball wheel in pretty much any machine, and they're relatively cheap and easy to get from almost any supplier. In my opinion at least, they're the easiest thing to learn the ropes on. Good luck!

I switch a location to 50¢ for PMM, but I'm planning on pulling them from any other location.

I was worried they wouldn't sell at that price, even with the "larger vend" added to the label. but they are selling fairly well. But this is my best location.

I doubled the price, and the vend went up 50%. (Max size.) I figured if my sales went down 56%, I'm still breaking even. (From about 6 to about 9 PMM.)

Archived