Beaver Round gumball machine

Candyguy

Can someone confirm with me what to look for on a beaver bulk candy machine to make sure its authentic?  I know there are some machines out there that look like the beaver rounds, but I just want to make sure its really the Beaver brand.  I'm asking because I would think it would be possible to switch out a chute and a coin mech to make it look like a beaver machine, but want to validate it.  

Beaver has their brand all over the machine:  coin mech, chute cover, lid, bottom of hopper, etc...It will either say Beaver or Machine-o-Matic.  Same thing.  You can tell a difference in the weight of a Beaver machine vs the Lypc/Rhino/other Chinese knock-offs.  Beavers are heavier and more solid built.

My other question is about the wheels. If they are setup to vend 1.5 inch or 38mm and you want to vend 24mm or 850 ct gum do you have to change the wheel or can you make an adjustment

In my experience you need a different wheel set. I believe there is a spacer for some of the 38mm wheels that converts them down, but I've never used one. I have very few Beaver machines on my route, so my experience is limited in that field.

One thing you can spot very easily though, is a Beaver clone!

74c399781114506a8a8b90ad358acbdd.jpg

Let's face it. Bulk vending machine design has not changed too dramatically since the 1950's. Most machines operate the same way, using the same mechanics as they were when they were new 40-70+ years ago. So, for machines to bear similarities is rather expected in many cases. However, some copycats are mighty blatant. This here is a Round Beaver 16 (16 for the height, 16").

1aab5374ae1cabf225c03e2dde35a7e6.png

It comes in orange now. Neon colors are now inevitable.

The RB-16 is pretty easy to spot, as Beaver has done literally everything in their power to make it stand out. The lid, chute cover, and coin mechanism will have "BEAVER" stamped on them, the "Beaver" logo, or in some models both. The coin mechanisms are solid, heavy metal deals. You turn one, you can tell it's solid. They're also very smooth-operating compared to their doppelgangers. Beaver machines are made of durable plastic with a cast metal base and hopper. The chrome on a Beaver machine is metal- not plastic. If it's plastic, it's a clone. The plastic bodies on the units, and the globes are thicker and consequently weigh more. Combine all the "heavier" parts together, and you get the weight Gages was talking about. Another sure tell of a Beaver is the price. If a guy on Craigslist is selling a pile of Beaver doubles for a steal, take a close look to verify they are actually Beaver machines. Beaver machines are relatively expensive new, and retain their value on the used market very well- many "pro" level operators use, or prefer to use Beaver gear, especially for nicer accounts.

fda746060e91b71eb584966963e2580f.jpg

They are similar, but the difference between these two is vast.

In the end, when in doubt, don't be afraid to ask here. Screenshot or link the ad, and we'll be able to tell you straight away if it's the real deal, and likely if it's a good deal or not. Good luck sir!

Thanks Performa. What about if the some of the machines are setup for candy wheels? Can they be adjusted for 24mm gum or will a new wheel have to be installed?

You'll need a different wheel for gum. Gumballs are wider than can fit through the pie-shaped openings in the candy wheel. Here's a pic of both side by side.

30345be446c113c170865326b4fa4b41.jpg

Archived